Originally Posted by Kalatti View Post
https://palmdb.net/app/jvm

This?
looks like it... Amazing to see it posred that recently... Jave you downloaded uet?

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
looks like it... Amazing to see it posred that recently... Jave you downloaded uet?
What is uet?

I have not received my future Palm Centro yet (I think it will arrive in a few days). I have never used Palm OS, but I have already made everything ready to be able to "play" with the phone and the system (although this month I will not have much time).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
https://palmdb.net/app/jvm

This?
I think all you need are the prc files for your language in the JVM folder, and fileconnect prc...

What is uet?

I have not received my future Palm Centro yet (I think it will arrive in a few days). I have never used Palm OS, but I have already made everything ready to be able to "play" with the phone and the system (although this month I will not have much time).
"yet" ... ...

A news report a few minutes ago said that LG is leaving the cell phone business. I read, a few years ago, that LG owns the patents on Palm technology. So, this could be remarkable business to follow. I'd assume they'll sell or otherwise transfer whatever patents they have. I've been wrong before, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bradvesp View Post
A news report a few minutes ago said that LG is leaving the cell phone business. I read, a few years ago, that LG owns the patents on Palm technology. So, this could be remarkable business to follow. I'd assume they'll sell or otherwise transfer whatever patents they have. I've been wrong before, though.
I've never tried one, but from what I understand, LG never used the WebOS stuff on any phones, but just on their TVs, so you could scroll channels and menus, etc. with the minimized card view. If they're still going to do TVs, I guess they would still keep doing that...

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I think most of the Palm Linux remnants are in WebOS which is mostly used in a shrinking number of dumber smart TVs as a back end with custom branded UI 'skins'.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I think most of the Palm Linux remnants are in WebOS which is mostly used in a shrinking number of dumber smart TVs as a back end with custom branded UI 'skins'.
Nah, even webOS 2.x already had practically nothing of Palm Linux. Original Android is actually closer to Palm Linux than webOS. Many concepts in PalmOS have 1:1 equivalents in Android (e.g. intents), and even Binder comes straight from PalmOSLinux...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
First update since I have the phone:

The system at first works very well, it is simple and easy to operate. I was struck that the home screen is the Phone / Contacts app.

The Preferences application is very 'vintage' in style. There are not many adjustments. I like the simple Color Themes.

The first thing I didn't like at all is not having a button to go back to a previous screen. I find it strange not to have found this characteristic, perhaps it is due to ignorance. Is there a way to go back (like in Android)?

I installed Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager without too much trouble on Windows 10. It is surprising that these old programs work well. Lately HotSync closes unexpectedly when trying to install something on the Palm, but restarting the program solves the problem and I am able to install applications. It is a lesser evil.

I have installed many applications on my Palm Centro and with some applications the phone locks. A curious fact about the Palm is that they cannot be turned off with a button, it is necessary to remove the battery. So every time the phone crashes I need to remove the battery. I have added some tape under the battery to make it easier to remove.

Now I am testing the apps and will remove the ones causing the phone to crash. A bug that I have found in my Palm phone is that the music cannot be heard, even though the player is playing it. However, the phone does make a sound when, for example, there is a failure in the HotSync operation.

Second update:

I have tried many applications, it shows that this system had a great variety of applications of all kinds and users who requested them. The visual style of the applications is very different from other systems, it makes you go back to the past. There are quite a few applications that cause the phone to freeze, especially the sound applications. This may be due to a hardware failure, I don't know.

I like that there are even applications to 'hack': HaCkMe, Codez4Palm, HackMaster ...

I have also liked some games like Bang!, Bzzz, Dropairs or Zap!2016 (the latter reminds me of a similar Nokia/Symbian game).

I managed to connect the phone to the Internet using a cable connected to my PC and the Softick PPP program. However, I could not navigate with the PalmOS browser or Opera Mini (Java version). I could only use one application well: GoogleMaps (amazing!).

Third update:

Nostalgia sometimes makes us believe that things from before were better, but this is not always the case. I have been using this phone and this operating system for a few days, and the truth is that I thought it would be a magical experience, but it has not been. However, comparing PalmOS and current systems would not be fair. In 2006/2007 I remember entertaining myself with Nokia phones, like the Nokia N70 and the N95. I was a kid and everything, simple as it was, seemed wonderful on the phones. I think that PalmOS was a very advanced system in its time, I honestly believe that PalmOS was more complete than S60, the Symbian of that time. I didn't know that much about systems that year, but I think that Nokia's system was simpler and that it failed less (perhaps because it was less complete).

It is difficult for me to compare the systems of that time, what do you think? Which was the best system (in 2006/2007): PalmOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile 6 or BlackBerryOS?

Last edited by Kalatti; 2021-04-14 at 22:25.