Tried @edp17 guide but phone stuck at Google logo.
Started fresh with step 0 and stock 6.1(latest official ROM)
Then step 1 and 2 went smooth
Then I think in step 3 something is not clear.
I installed the APK file by double clicking it.
Then followed step 4.
Then 5 and finally 6.
No way to boot.
I think step 3 should more clear and please upload the files in one place where everyone can get them.
Also for now I don't wanna use Ubuntu so in step 3 what files do we need?
Again thanks @edp17 for your time!

Hi,

I'm also trying to follow this guide.
After doing 'adb install 1-MultiROMMgr_withUT.apk' and rebooting into recovery, I get the broken robot.
I am supposed to have already installed another recovery?

Many thanks

@marmagas, @moodroid

Thanks for your feedback!

I have reviewed the instruction and realized some steps were taken from my very old attempt. Sorry about that. Therefore, I've updated the steps according to my latest notes. I hope this makes the process clearer and smooth.

On the questions you raised.
I've installed multirom because wanted to try UT, and that's where I came across with that apk. I don't know and never tried whether multirom works without the apk but I do recommend to use even if you don't install UT (I don't have UT either). With the app you can boot into the selected rom from Android and assign an icon to the roms. Or once you have a working Sailfish, you can try removing the app to see whether multirom works without it. (I might try it.)

I am not sure why you get broken robot. All my notes say install apk first then kernel and recovery. However, this order can be changes so I changed in the instruction too.

Please try the new steps (you probably need to download some new files) and let me know how it goes.
If you have stock android 6 installed and bootloader unlocked, just skip the first two steps.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Thanks very much - I've got it working

I still got confused about the multirom apk and ended up installing TWRP_multirom_hammerhead_20160210.img instead. I don't really get what the app part is supposed to do.

But it's working great - thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to moodroid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by moodroid View Post
Thanks very much - I've got it working

I still got confused about the multirom apk and ended up installing TWRP_multirom_hammerhead_20160210.img instead. I don't really get what the app part is supposed to do.

But it's working great - thanks again.
I am glad you got it working.

With the apk and an older version of multirom TWRP, you can install Ubuntu Touch on the hammerhead. As I don't have UT (I've tried but didn't like), I use that apk for setting an icon for the secondary roms and booting into the wanted rom if I am in android. I think after boot, the apk starts by default and that gives you the screen to select which rom to boot into. Plus, on the same screen you can boot into recovery if you want.

Just in case you want to install and try UT, you will need this older version of multirom TWRP (this is NOT a zip but an img file):
TWRP_multirom_hammerhead_20150630.img

And if you would like to put back the newer one (this is NOT a zip but an img file):
TWRP_multirom_hammerhead_20160210.img

You can flash both as an img from recovery. Switching between these to recovery images is safe any time and will not impact your main or secondary roms. The MultiRom menu option is located at a different place in both and only with the older (or newer?) multirom recovery you can install UT from the apk.

Last edited by edp17; 2022-12-14 at 14:56.

realy glad you made it @moodroid.
please can you post your guide-steps after root.
also can you post links about the files you used(recovery,TWRP,CM)
i am really sad though,my vol- button stuck and i cant even get in fastboot bootloader screen using adb commands.
will take my phone to repair shop to fix the button,any has any tip-suggestion?
@edp17 thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Originally Posted by marmagas View Post
realy glad you made it @moodroid.
please can you post your guide-steps after root.
also can you post links about the files you used(recovery,TWRP,CM)
i am really sad though,my vol- button stuck and i cant even get in fastboot bootloader screen using adb commands.
will take my phone to repair shop to fix the button,any has any tip-suggestion?
@edp17 thanks again for your time and suggestions.
I am sorry to hear that volume button broke on your device.
If you could install that apk, it gives you the option at boot to reboot into a rom, recovery or bootloader. (just tested it)

I've found this on ebay: Black On Off Power Side Volume Key Button Replacement For LG Google Nexus 5 D820

Good luck with your phone!

Instruction about replacing the buttons

(Once you removed the back cover, you can easily replace the battery. Three years ago when I purchased my Nexus 5, I replaced battery in there. I've purchased it from polarcell: Replacement Battery for LG Google Nexus 5 (D820 - D821))

@marmagas, good luck with your phone. I followed the guide exactly with one exception... Because I couldn't get the app to work, before installing Sailfish, I installed the multirom recovery img file that edp17 linked above via TWRP and then continued as per guide.

@edp17, thanks again.

Last edited by moodroid; 2022-12-14 at 17:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moodroid For This Useful Post:
@marmagas - so just just be 100% clear... I followed the guide in #1220
But with the following addition:
5B - download https://mega.nz/file/AbglVCQA#XmrDe4...WjLP4h4xf8uUAQ and install in TWRP using the image option within the install section.
Like I say, hope you get your phone fixed, as it's a really good OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to moodroid For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid