Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
<SNIP>+Browsing= The SGSII those this much better than the N9. When it comes to speed, rendering and quality of flash support.<SNIP>
Hmm stuff I've read suggests N9 comes out on top, except for flash & speed (in some instances, not all).
Some of the other points (from you & others) don't smell quite right either, based on accounts I've read.

I think we need to be careful telling people this/that, unless we do own both devices, & can do comparisons then & there.
It's all very subjective and memories can be hazy, even if we did once-upon-a-time own a SGSII, Note, N9 etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-17 at 10:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Hmm stuff I've read suggests N9 comes out on top, except for flash & speed (in some instances, not all).
Some of the other points (from you & others) don't smell quite right either, based on accounts I've read.

I think we need to be careful telling people this/that, unless we do own both devices, & can do comparisons then & there.
It's all very subjective and memories can be hazy, even if we did once-upon-a-time own a SGSII, Note, N9 etc.
Well I don't own an N9 but do have a SGSII courtesy of my brother.
I've been holding out too long with the N900 so when I needed a renewal I chose the SGS on a cheap plan. I've since traded that for the Desire Z and traded it again for the SGSII.

I was appauled with some (actually many) of the decisions with Nokia, but I did end up going to JB Hifi and trying it out for over one hour. And I compared it then and there to my SGSII. I do agree browsing is not really accurate because it was on two different networks... Wifi is the better way to try.

But when I compared them side by side, the N9 showed the pages first but SGSII was always the first to finish. And scrolling was much smoother on SGSII and it "long scrolled". The N9 forces you to keep swiping more often and sometimes shows the dreadful checkered boxes.

I am not telling you about what I read or saw in a video, this was a hands on, side-by-side comparison with some limits (like signal difference and no access to the Ovi-watever store). I implore you to read my experience then make the same comparison yourself.

fyi the website I loaded was here, engadget, yahoo seven, youtube and mynokaiblog

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
But when I compared them side by side, the N9 showed the pages first but SGSII was always the first to finish. And scrolling was much smoother on SGSII and it "long scrolled". The N9 forces you to keep swiping more often and sometimes shows the dreadful checkered boxes.

Yeah see the vid comparisons I've seen lately are almost exactly the opposite.
I posted one in the big water-cooler thread a day or so back.
It's just so subjective....
As we get more folks that own both, & can do thorough/controlled testing.
Then we'll all get concrete answers, I guess...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-17 at 15:40.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Man I want what you are smoking!
If a spec sheet means nothing, then you are ordered to send me your phone, you do not qualify for technology. I will exchange it for my Nokia 1616 just to make you happy.

And still you say specs mean nothing and then you say "I wish my N900 had more RAM".... hypocrite much?

And your "new" analogy is worse than the first, just re-read it (cmon man pass me what your smoking).

Anyways I'm not here to feed or cause flame-war, I want to help answer your questions.
+Browsing= The SGSII those this much better than the N9. When it comes to speed, rendering and quality of flash support.

+Video Playing= The N9's player is much better than Samsung's but there are alternate ones in the Market which are just as good as N9's. It can playback 1080p@30fps no problem from my experience, but the N9 only handles 720p. The SGSII looks so much better than N9 (picture quality) and the Note will only be a leap better.

+Multitasking= Android's current implementation is that the last four/five (compatible) apps run in the background. If it gets too intensive it pauses the apps. I find myself loading a webpage, then shifting to the calculator, doing a few calculations, going back to the browser to see it fully loaded but it doesn't work for flash content or the youtube app. N9's implementation in imba

+IM handling= I dont do any IM, but Facebooks works flawless. I didn't try this on the N9.

+Ease of use= Very debatable. There's somethings I like from the N9 but after putting custom roms and highly tweekable apps, I prefer Google's way.

+Typing speed= I would say the N9 felt faster and more comfortable but that might be a placebo effect. The SGSII is pretty good. Swype and SwiftKeyX make them very decent. I see this getting only better with a higher resolution display and larger touchscreen on the SGNote.

+Music= Both suck. But with root you can tweek the eq of the SGSII which makes the sound quality better on headsets. I don't think this will (unofficially) make to the N9.
I actually like the stock video player on the Samsung the controls are nicely laid out, the N9 feels "alien". But there might be some Qt Apps for the N9 for a better player, who knows?

+Mail= SGSII is decent, never had any issues. The Note is introducing swipable interface for the mail in landscape mode so you see the folders on the left, the list in the middle, and the mail on the right. I haven't tried it on the N9.

So basically the SGSII is a great smartphone. The SGNote brings all of the good stuff and makes it better (like resolution, screen, pen, better software etc), it is going to be a powerhouse of a phone. The N9 has several advantages, and I'm not denying them, but they're too little and most of its advantages are cancelled out because of Android's large volume of applications and support.

The Verdict: Samsung Galaxy Note is not for everybody, but those who appreciate its lineage wont be disappointed, the same cannot be said about the Nokia N9.
Thank you for your reply. And FYI I am not smoking anything. But comparing an X86 with Arm is not valid. They are intended for extreme opposites (in terms of computers). Like comparing a plane with a car. But then again, comparing vehicles with CPUs is not a very good idea either .

And yes, specs mean nothing. Do you think the N9 will be much faster with a 2.5ghz quad core snapdragon and 4GB of RAM? It won't be, unless the software is designed to utilize the extra power. So if the Gingerbread is not coded well to utilize the hardware in the SGS2, having a dual core would not change much. The same goes for the N9. On the other hand, the N900 was proven to not have enough RAM and relying on Swap too often. I am quite happy with the CPU's performance.

So basically I'm still stuck.. Each platform has its strong points and weak points. Which to choose. I'm not very fond of Android. Having used it in the past, it leaves me with a bitter taste. The choice would have been simple, had Nokia decided to stick with Meego and keep producing more phones. The N9 seems a better choice software wise, but I don't think it will be the best choice in the long run. The high pricing and lack of availabilty doesn't help either.

So I think I will wait a few months and see. The SGS2 doesn't seem the best choice, but it is the wisest choice (thanks to Nokia and Elop).

This would really reflect my decision: Can any of the phones play 720p mkv and support audio stream switching? The N900 almost makes this possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
It's very hard to unequivocally say one is better....
In depends on the sum-total of your usage patterns, & you'd have to break that down & compare very carefully.
Which you'd never be able to do without having each for an extended period.
If you're someone who's unlikely to change phones every 12mth or less, then the SGSII is probably the most prudent buy.

The hw still has more room to be further optimised/exploited... (i.e. more future-proof in most areas)
Assuming Samsung/community continues to do that, as most momentum may move on to the next hot thing/Samsung.
Nokia's squeezed almost as much as they can out of what is really quite old/anaemic hw in many areas.
Meltemi may give the N9 "a new lease on life" sw/ecosystem-wise, but it's still all quite murky.

And if anything I imagine Metelmi phones to have not quite the same breadth of hw functionality.
The core components will be spec'd similarly to the N9, eventually even better thanks to Moore's Law.
But as they're phones targeted mostly for what was traditionally the featureph & dumbph segments.
The breadth of hw & sw* functionality is likely to be more constrained than what we see with the N9/Harmattan.

With a bigger emphasis on getting to those lower price points, & greater power efficiency etc.
I hope this doesn't happen for a least for 1-2 ph's right at the top-end of those segments, but it remains to be seen.
Even if Meltemi doesn't eventuate, Nokia is definitely going to support this better than the N900.
The whole trajectory has been quite different, & all the statements they've made have been too.

*i.e. somewhat stripped-down Maemo6x + SwipeUX

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-17 at 15:38.

Everything I'm missing on N900 is NORMAL PORTRAIT KEYBOARD + EVERY single APP in portrait mode. Better Skype. Why integrated Twitter do not work anymore??? (I still havent found the answers). And improved Camera could be OK. Because I belive that N900 can push up to 720p but I would be better if picture quality iproved, because everything I get lately is Crap. Both = video & pics.
  3. Nokia 6110 Navigator (Black)
  4. Nokia N900
  5. Sony Xperia Z1
  6. Nokia 8

Still I can't use front camera. Why n900 has front facing camera if I can't use it.
  3. Nokia 6110 Navigator (Black)
  4. Nokia N900
  5. Sony Xperia Z1
  6. Nokia 8

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Pains me to reference an Engadget link but did anyone else look at the hands on videos of the new Nexus S (Prime)?

I find the open applications pane interesting especially as you swipe the app to the left to close it. Or press and hold and hit the x. If this isnt webOS/Harmattan i dont know what is. I felt a little cheated at first as Engadget conveniently leaves out the beauty of Harmattan but then realised I am actually glad Android is moving in this direction. Makes my future device purchases much less tragic.

Might get the nexus prime as a second phone anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Personally Im waiting. I had SGS2, Nexus isnt much different, pretty much the same specwise, and ICS isnt impressing me so far.

Ill use the N9 until something really catches my eye some time down the line. But its going to have to be pretty damn awesome to take me away from the N9.

Originally Posted by slai View Post
Personally Im waiting. I had SGS2, Nexus isnt much different, pretty much the same specwise, and ICS isnt impressing me so far.

Ill use the N9 until something really catches my eye some time down the line. But its going to have to be pretty damn awesome to take me away from the N9.
That'll be the N900 for sure