I was lookin around but didnt find anything and my question is:

Is there a way to create a shortcut that will open xTerminal and run "top"?
I dont really like load-applet and systemwidget(i forget the name) in maemo etras-testing is, well, in testing. Both of these apps dont really tell me anything, so I was wondering if i can create a shorcut with switches to run xterminal's "top" when i click it.

thanks

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
xterm -e top usually work so if you find the terminal command you may try the same?

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by goodfellabk718 View Post
Is there a way to create a shortcut that will open xTerminal and run "top"?
yes. create a file called topx.desktop with the following text in the /usr/share/applications/hildon/ directory. you will need root access.

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Name=topx 
Exec=/usr/bin/osso-xterm top  
Icon=     
#X-Window-Icon=timerwidget
X-Window-Icon=     
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
This will create an ugly blue application icon in the Application list called 'topx' (to specify an icon, look here). Launching it will execute 'top' directly in xterm. You may now put a shortcut on the desktop for quick access. HTH

sent from an N900
Attached Images

Last edited by archebyte; 2009-12-11 at 19:30. Reason: added reference to icon post

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
hmmm~ it's so happy to know this. mark it. thanks.

Sweet! Thank you both.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
There is also a hack by removing the comment lines in /etc/mce/mce.ini that will provide a "Top in XTerm" button in the hardware button menu.
Not that "hack" really means "hack" and doing something wrong here might turn your device into a brick, but for me it works. :-P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
i am trying to create the shortcut but the commands for an editor doesnt work and (command not found) and i downloaded vim but i just dont understand why its not working ( icant type in it, nothing happens when i press the keys) i read that u have to press a set of keys to change between modes (blah) do we have anything easier like nano or something similar? im trying not to be "spoon fed" but alot of the tutorials i have found, there commands dont register with maemos shell. im gonna read up some more. Basically im tryin to open the editor to copy what i was shown and then go from there. So just tell me, what editor are you guys using to get things done? i'll figure out the rest i just need an editor.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
why don't you install sshserver and sftp into the device with winscp i.e. it's much easier than to fiddle with the xterm shell on the device!

Originally Posted by mason View Post
why don't you install sshserver and sftp into the device with winscp i.e. it's much easier than to fiddle with the xterm shell on the device!
truuuuueeee, but 2 things

1. I kind of what to see how much i can do on the device (just to know)
2. I haven't made a linux box yet and wasnt sure if doing that through windows was ideal. I'm a couple of weeks from getting another PC and at which time I was planning to install linux on my old machine

i know it would be much easier to grasp once i get a linux box

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
there is no problem with windows there, you just have to make sure you use the right editor for the job. (windows notepad isn't recommended )

Tags
odod eht oollol