Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Latest keyboard PCBs are here, casings expected first week of 2015

Stencil printer is set up

Moving first stuff to Makerspace, starting production of TOH-cover PCBs there first half of January, should take few days to finish 1500pcs

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Regarding keypads:
"We started to make all molds and samples now."

Getting 10 of each layout first -of which some will go to backers that also get a proto/developeredition- then if all is good the rest will be made.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Finally finished my administration - gosh that was a fun job - and determined how many TOHKBDs I can sell before risking issues with spares etc.

So, sales are open again!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

Color guide is excellent, but what about including keyboard-layout switch into it? I am not sure what "stealth" means, as keypad layout.

Apologies if it was already asked before.

[Edit]
Does 'stealth' mean that no layout is printed, and user is free to either keep chosen layout in memory, or draw it by hand?
[/Edit]

Random question: would using e-ink display as back-plate of TOHKBD make it bulkier, more fragile, and-or more expensive? And, most importantly, would the phone recognise it as a second display? Yes, sounds funny :-)

More relevant question: is the back-light going to be just white, or is its colour choose-able, too? If the latter, then is it possible to choose colour of each LED?

Best wishes. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2015-01-03 at 11:58. Reason: Guess

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Color guide is excellent, but what about including keyboard-layout switch into it? I am not sure what "stealth" means, as keypad layout..
stealth is no symbols engraved, need to design it yourself and engrave at local engraving place. if you have no experience with this, don't go for it.

from kickstarter page

Random question: would using e-ink display as back-plate of TOHKBD make it bulkier yes, more fragile yes, and-or more expensive also yes? And, most importantly, would the phone recognise it as a second display no? Yes, sounds funny :-)
This question fall in the categories:
- add this non-related functionality that makes it more complex
- questions you should ask a year ago
- what do you think?

More relevant question: is the back-light going to be just white yes, or is its colour choose-able, too no? If the latter, then is it possible to choose colour of each LED?
if this was the case, there would obviously be some mentioning of this

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Wow, awesome toys, good job man .

The Following User Says Thank You to Marandos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Any plans for rev3 deluxe edition?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
- what do you think?

Quick reply...

Are Other Halves stack-able? No, I think? The connectors would be wearing off pretty quickly, I fear...

Is e-ink screen Other Half possible at all? As in, would e-ink screen be recognised by OS as second display? I guess I should be asking Jolla if they plan to release a phone where first display is e-ink

It's just... Backcover for the sake of physical stability, and nothing else, seems to be such a lame use of space...

Another idea for electricity-using Other Half: combine TOHKBD with Light-emitting OH. Or would it be too bulky-and-fragile-and-expensive (and not-working), too?

Best wishes. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Are Other Halves stack-able? No, I think? The connectors would be wearing off pretty quickly, I fear...
You think correct

Is e-ink screen Other Half possible at all? As in, would e-ink screen be recognised by OS as second display? I guess I should be asking Jolla if they plan to release a phone where first display is e-ink
eehhh

It's just... Backcover for the sake of physical stability, and nothing else, seems to be such a lame use of space...
I never said this is for physical stability. If there is no backplate, you would be staring right at the PCB, which is not desirable for construction, design and durability. \

Another idea for electricity-using Other Half: combine TOHKBD with Light-emitting OH. Or would it be too bulky-and-fragile-and-expensive (and not-working), too?
- what do you think?

Join the IRC channel for more quick quesions, or improve your google skillz (even forum has search function), this is filling up the thread with a lot of questions asked a million times before.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Did assembly of first 500 TOH-cover PCBs, brain is fried.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd