Hi all, I'm running squid on N900 to share gprs internet on my laptop. I used to access n900's internet connection on my laptop through Bluetooth DUN, but somehow my old laptop's usb ports have some problems and they are not playing nice with the bt dongle that I have, it keeps disconnecting, very inconvenient. So well I thought why not just install a proxy server on N900, and so I found squid. I'm a fairly beginner-type user of Linux. After installing and a very little configuration tutorial I ran squid:
~# /opt/sbin/squid -NCd1
I have MAD running on N900 and I use that to assign the ip 192.168.2.15 to n900, and from my Ubuntu VM I can ping it and assign this as a proxy in FireFox/Chrome (N900 and PC connected through a usb cable). Lots of websites are working fine and I'm happy with that, but as I load engadget.com, after about half of the website is loaded, N900 restarts! Right now i'm using the same connection to browse and writing this post on tmo.
On my N900, the rootfs only has 332k left as shown by conky, can that be a reason that its resetting? I was just thinking that in case anything is wrong that only squid should crash rather then bring the whole device down with it. Please tell me what logs can help me diagnose this problem. Thanks.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Squid? Why? If the laptop has WiFi, just use Qt Mobile Hotspot.

Also, 332k on the rootfs? No wonder it's crashing, stuff is crashing in the background because there's no more space.

I didnt know about the qt mobile hotspot, nice app, just installed it, will be using it soon. If rootfs is the cause of crashing squid then its ok (but no other app crashes), i'll be flashing the device and installing stuff again, its been a long time I have not flashed this.
But I'm thinking that using the internet from the usb will be much more economical battery-wise, these hotspots in cell phones drain battery fast.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
you could try freeing up rootfs space if you havent already and then see if it still crashes

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
I must say that this Qt Mobile Hotspot is pretty damn good! Kudos to guys working on this! I have used it for few hours. Everything is fine, except that my device is a little warm :O after an hour of usage. I was reading the page http://maemo.org/packages/view/qtmobilehotspot/ and it says its a work in progress, i hope this wip status doesnt burn up my device hehe.

I have 15mb free in rootfs now and squid is not crashing at all.