Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Malawi
Originally Posted by bmxerv View Post
That's the thing. Agree. In my (maybe very personal) case all the contacts use whatsapp only. So for me (once again, personally) having nothing and having Telegram or whatever the guys are talking above is similar. Zero, no use...
even the installation is not easy a lot of plugins missing. I think apps should not be difficult to install not everyone knows linux.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2016 @ Austria
I think apps should not be difficult to install not everyone knows linux.
but I assume it's perfectly safe to suppose anyone commands linux that still uses an N900 .. or why would they have brought one in the first place? (it's as much of a "hacker's phone" as it could possibly get)

First of all, thank you Ceene for all the effort you're putting!

Really interesting discussion going on. I agree it would be awesome to have an N900 implementation of Telegram, as I love the quality of the software. But on the other hand I gotta agree with the people, like me, whose peers are mostly Whatsapp users and won't even consider installing a second messaging app let alone switching to Telegram.

Add insult to injury that I live in a place where people are prone to mob mentality and blind worship, so they idolize Whatsapp in a way that the very mention of Telegram will send them into a hissy fit full of ironic comments about "the ten people in the world that use it anyway".

So, for that reason I'm rooting for Ceene. Getting results or not, your work is appreciated and recognized, dude. We know you're trying!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fabcap For This Useful Post:
brief 'reflection' regarding Telegram:
first of all, 'superhuman' Ceene said exactly what anyone could wish for .. he'll try to implement the now mandatory Whatsapp-encryption but if he fails (who wouldn't forgive him on that?) he won't abandon the whole project but give us a Telegram-adaptation. Now, if one points out, "won't use it, hence I (dare to) render it useless" I want to ask you to step back and watch the 'bigger' picture. if 'some' of us yappari-users find it useful than, by sheer logical deduction/reasoning, it is 'useful' (one does not represent everyone, if I may put it this way).

the second point that is missing (or is it just me .. so I do ask for verification/clarification): the current (several years old) Telegram-plugin for pidgin constantly crashes and never manages to send a single message .. or do you guys have a different experience??

Last edited by HTuRtle; 2016-05-26 at 23:15. Reason: (rather embarrassing) typo

The Following User Says Thank You to HTuRtle For This Useful Post:
Actually the 'bigger' picture lies somewhere else.

Of course Telegram, as a software, is useful. It is a great piece of software and as some say, has lots of advantages over Whatsapp.

The problem lies where (from my viewpoint) only a few people, mostly tech-savvy, actually use Telegram, because the main public is more driven by the hype over Whatsapp and aren't willing to step out of the comfort zone to adopt Telegram either "besides" or "instead of" Whatsapp. Telegram users I know account for about 5% of my contact list, and I'm sure many people in here is in the same situation.

In my case the N900 isn't my main phone anymore, Yappari serves for the hack value of it, because it's awesome to see an alternative implementation of Whatsapp on an unsupported platform. But some people, I believe, still use their N900 as main phones and losing Whatsapp support on Yappari means they won't be able to message most of their contacts.

So, these people aren't "daring to render Yappari useless" if Ceene switches to Telegram. From a technical standpoint a new software is always welcome. From the social standpoint, though, none of us only have tech-savvy or tech-curious friends. If you, by yourself, found a way to make Telegram your main app, that's great, but most of us are stuck with Whatsapp-only demographics. Those people are the ones who render Telegram (and not just Yappari if it switches to Telegram) useless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fabcap For This Useful Post:
while I enjoy reading your style of 'conduct' I still have problems with agreeing as, reduced to the core/bare meaning, all you say is "alternatives are useless--period". I deem it easily deductible from your writing you're smart enough not to actually believe this but if you take away your neat and fancy wording this is what remains.

I do not 'root' for Telegram; Whatsapp compatibility is the ultimate goal everyone reading this finally want's to get, I dare to state. But if this isn't an option for technical and/or other reasons, (intermediately/temporarily) switching to Telegram would indeed be better than nothing at all.

Originally Posted by HTuRtle View Post
the second point that is missing (or is it just me .. so I do ask for verification/clarification): the current (several years old) Telegram-plugin for pidgin constantly crashes and never manages to send a single message .. or do you guys have a different experience??
This one is working fine.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=38

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fabcap View Post
The problem lies where (from my viewpoint) only a few people, mostly tech-savvy, actually use Telegram
The folks I have convinced to start using Telegram are not tech savvy at all. They just want to contact me through something like whatsapp. If people don't want to install it (a couple of seconds of work) - and those people indeed exist - I just text / mail or phone with them.
Yappari was great and maybe can start working again, but ceene needs to decide for himself if it is worth the effort. Even after he fixes the current issue, nobody knows what Whatsapp will do with their codebase next year.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Yappari has became the main reason for some community members to keep on using the N900 in the year 2016. At this moment I'm personally forced to use two different cellphone numbers, so I bought a N5 and installed sfdroid on top off SFO on it and start using it as a main device. The N900 is too much computer to be throwing away. I don't think it's a good idea to convince non-tech people to use Telegram since most off them like to make free phone calls for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to convince non-tech people to use Telegram since most off them like to make free phone calls for example.
I think you are confusing non-tech people with idiots.
From a text messaging and end users pov Whatsapp and Telegram are almost exactly the same and very user-friendly.
BTW I don't try to persuade people to stop using Whatsapp, just to install Telegram as well.

Tags
whatsapp, yappari