Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sounds like a plan!

It's only you that knows what is best for you. Samsung has announced that the will announce a device with "curved" screen in October... So if you are Into that thing...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/24/47...een-smartphone

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-25 at 17:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, I see the GN3, unlocked, is now for sale in UK. 100 pounds off on Galaxy Gear if you buy bundled. Anybody sporting the combo?

Word is spreading that the GN3 is region locked for EU and American variants. Can anyone confirm if a warning sticker was on their device indicating this? It is a scary precedent if mobile phones start to get region locking like DVDs and some games have.

Holy crap, is that so?

And both are for the Snapdragon 800 device. I hope this is only for the carrier contract version, I want to pick up a factory unlocked one. Well, I hope that all of this is actually nonesense... but don't know.

Maybe I might be limited to the [seemingly] slower and more battery thirsty Exynos edition?

I'll just wait for the reviews, and possibly an anadtech comparison of the two models.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Here is some info on region lock.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...n-lock-277262/

In an update there is the following quote

If we understand the situation correctly, in order to be able to use a phone outside the home region, users will have to register it first with a carrier from the home region. Samsung Switzerland seems to confirm this on their Facebook page.

Last edited by mscion; 2013-09-27 at 00:52.

I got my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 in the mail today and overall the experience is a giant upgrade from my HTC Flyer. I have been enjoying the heck out of my note 8.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Anybody updated their Note 2 to 4.3? Updates are rolling out but haven't received mine. Care to share your findings?

...???
I didn't get any updates.
I purchased mine with 4.3 out of the box.

NOTE 3 (4G/SQD 800), 32GB, Black.

As far as I know, there is no "eFuse" in the device... the KNOX feature is 100% software just like "Flash Counter" or TriangleAway as was introduced in earlier "Galaxy S" devices.

Right now there's no way to "flash" things to the Note 3 without installing a custom recovery (Odin), and there's no way to install a custom recovery without tripping KNOX. And once tripped, there's no way to revert the KNOX counter.

There is this, one way of r00ting without tripping KNOX:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...z=367967877537

I think once we can revert KNOX, or flash without tripping things should get interesting.

I'm really looking forward to this setup:
-custom recovery, busybox, r00t
-chroot ubuntu (or dualboot)
-remove (heaps) of bloat
-MOD collections (fix phone, sms, mms, gallery, multiwindow, status bar transparency, change touchjizz colours, torch on lockscreen, fix headset button actions, etc etc)
-install favourite apps (SwitchR PRO, Kii PRO, Apex PRO, 500 Firepaper, Flipboard, etc etc)

Honestly, even though an upgrade, there's lots of frustrating things with this phone.
For starters, when I'm gonna make a phone call from someone's message list... hitting the volume buttons (by accident/altering volume).... it doesn't change the music volume, it friggen zooms the text messages up by many folds. Stupid.

Its attention to detail. This is why Apple rules and Samsung sucks.
If only Blackberry strived on, and MeeGo wasn't aborted : (

...HONESTLY here's what this community needs.
1) Stock AOSP Android.
Modify it to run on Linux kernel. Port over the necessary frameworks from Linux such as (proper) C++, Qt, Python, etc etc etc.

2) Then support devices which have proper documentation (OMAP is dead, Tegra is no-go, Exynos is frustrating, Snapdragon only option)

3)...and are not hardware-bootloader locked (Motorola is no-go, HTC is frustrating, LG is okay, Samsung is workable as long as its a flagship, SONY is the legend).

4) ???

5) Profit.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-11-20 at 08:40.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Ah, I have never heard of this KNOX thingy before (simply because I have never owned any Samsung devices...), but now as I googled it it seems to be more or less the equivalent of Harmattan Closed Mode, right?

Except that it seems to be not possible to get back to the default mode (Closed Mode equivqlent) by reflashing complete firmware or something like that...?

What is the difference in devices runnig with KNOX=0x0 vs. KNOX=0x1 ??

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
@Kangal
I was talking about the Note 2.
I'm looking forward to the new multiwindow UI and Air command but from some feedback it seems that Air command isn't included in the update.
I'm not entirely sure what KNOX has to offer me. Will it keep peeing toms out of my device? If so then I'm fine with having it. I don't mind losing warranty since I never had it anyway.

Tags
android, galaxy note