Notices

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but i'm wondering if it's possible to make N900 as an extended monitor of a pc (2nd monitor) through USB and/or wifi.

With the great resolution of N900 it would make a nice (quite expensive) second monitor for all your widget/instant messaging/photoshop tool (imagine the touchscreen as input if that can be implemented too)

I understand N900 itself already almost a pc by itself (it's own OS, memory, etc) but with extended view, at least the N900 can always be used inline while charging with desktop use. Imagine while charging you can stream video (of course if possible audio out through N900 too) from your desktop and/or Instant Messaging using full keyboard and mouse Just all the possibilities

I know you can do it with PSP (I know different platform etc, but can't a $550 gadget do something similar?) Maybe a port or something

Thx for reading this post

PS: if anyone know it already exist and/or someone working on it, pm or post a reply on this thread Thx

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Virginia, USA
There was something like this for the earlier version of the tablets.. It might still be on this forum, but it was also posted on Engadget. I'm pretty sure that the N900 has VNC right now, and the rest of the setup was done on the local computer.

This post should provide some insight. The only limitations thus far is that it does require Windows and requires a setup on a local computer. Some nice benefits are that it's already out, and that it doesn't require bluetooth or a wired connection to the computer.

Hope this helps.
-fillip

Thx for the link

It's a bit complicated but it reach almost what i wanted (minus streaming video/audio/touch input)

I'm loving n900 more and more if this work

Now for someone porting a real app without the hassle and true streaming rather than VNC solution

This just sounds stupid to do and its more like trying to prove a point. Im sure it could well be done but why go to that length to do it?! I don't think its worth doing it.
The n900 is a laptop itself if you want to view something then just hook it up via usb and copy it over an watch it in good quality without having to stream.

The only gud thing will be the ability to use the touch screen on the pc using the n900 as you mentioned, but im not sure if thats possible. Again these are all far fetched ideas.Seems like everyday someone brings up something crazy.

Anyhow if it does happen then I'm with it, but I don't think this is urgent or a major requirement that developers/programmers are goiing to start making right away for you, so I wouldn't keep your hopes up for this! Again you could make an attempt yourself and see how far you can go with this?