Notices

Detlef and I are pleased to announce that a new version of VNC viewer, 0.5, has been released. Some notable changes in this release are as follows:
* Enabled hextile encoding type, which will now typically be the default encoding type. As a result of this change, older vino VNC servers will now start to work with VNC viewer since hextile will likely be used instead of CoRRE.
* Significant improvements made to hextile implementation, mostly in the area of performance. Some other performance enhancements have been done as well.
* Eliminated support for 24-bit color depth. The 770 (and the N800) only supports 16-bit color depth, so there was no reason to support 24-bit.
* New feature added: rotation support. Now it is possible to rotate the display such that the hardware buttons are on the bottom (with easy access to the stylus at the top, at least for the 770). The default configuration is to automatically rotate based on the width and height of the VNC server. If the height is greater than the width, the display is rotated. In the options dialog, it is possible to change the default behavior to always or never rotate as well.
* Feature enhancement: smarter hardware button scrolling. If it is no longer possible to scroll the local display (because reached the end of the scrollbar or a scrollbar is not necessary), holding down the hardware direction buttons will scroll the currently active window.

Other changes, the package, and the source package can be found at our Web site, https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/. If you already have the extras repository setup, you can upgrade to/install the new package by refreshing your package list. Alternatively, you can use one of the single-click install options as follows:

* maemo 2.0: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...viewer.install
* maemo 2.1: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...viewer.install or http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...viewer.install
* maemo 3.0 (i.e. for the N800): http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...viewer.install

This will add the necessary repository to your repository list.

Or, just download the package directly at https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa..._0.5_armel.deb.

You can submit bugs, feature requests, etc., by going to our homepage.

Enjoy!

Aaron and Detlef

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Wow.. I thought that the single click install didn't work for IT2006!
It did and it also automatically added the repository...
It should then be VERY easy to create .install files for all the IT2006 apps.

Tried your VNC client, it works like a charm.

With my n800 a lib is missing
libxau0

does i have a problem with my tablet ?

I had no problems installing on my N800 using the bora (codename for the OS version on the N800) .install file. Did you install via the .install file repository method or did you download and install the .deb file?

Anyways, kudos to the developers. If you are ever in the Seattle area, I will buy you lunch!

Any chance you could take a crack at the now-defunct Remote Desktop client? Even a minimal connection manager, right click support and virtual keyboard support would improve it a thousand fold. Hell, with Bluetooth keyboard support, I don't even care about the lack of keyboard support very much. Having to have an application on all your servers to allow you to right click is a pain, however. Maybe Apple had something with their one button mice......nah!

Great that the development is active for vncviewer. Thanks to vncviewer I finally have my Amarok remote at full screen, working text input and with right click support too!
I have attached a screenshot (taken with the display exported through the vnc server , a little blurry because I made it small enough, in reality appearance is quite sharp).

Thanks, tira.
Attached Images

Many thanks for this.

Note that it crashes if I choose other than the native bit depth when connecting to my OS X box.

I also got the libxau0 problem as 'rjungmann' above. The description above is misleadingly suggesting to just go for the .deb installation, so I did...
Now I need to remove the 'installable application' package to start all over
. How do I do that?

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I had no problems installing on my N800 using the bora (codename for the OS version on the N800) .install file. Did you install via the .install file repository method or did you download and install the .deb file?
Interesting that it worked for you but not for others. What do you have in your repository list in the application manager (or whatever the equivalent is for the N800)?

Anyways, kudos to the developers. If you are ever in the Seattle area, I will buy you lunch!
Thanks. I live in Portland, although Detlef lives in Germany. Maybe I will take you up on your offer when I am next in Seattle.

Any chance you could take a crack at the now-defunct Remote Desktop client? Even a minimal connection manager, right click support and virtual keyboard support would improve it a thousand fold. Hell, with Bluetooth keyboard support, I don't even care about the lack of keyboard support very much. Having to have an application on all your servers to allow you to right click is a pain, however. Maybe Apple had something with their one button mice......nah!
I don't currently have time to work on rdesktop, although I took a look at it last year, and I came up with a plan for how to port it properly. Maybe some time in the future.

AaronL

Originally Posted by tirabosco View Post
Great that the development is active for vncviewer. Thanks to vncviewer I finally have my Amarok remote at full screen, working text input and with right click support too!
I have attached a screenshot (taken with the display exported through the vnc server , a little blurry because I made it small enough, in reality appearance is quite sharp).
Development on VNC viewer has been active of late. It was only 1.5 months ago or so that 0.4.1 was released, and 0.5 is a major leap forward from 0.4.1. Also, it is possible to gauge the activity of a project by taking a look at the SVN tree for the project. As can be seen by examining the SVN tree for VNC viewer (at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/), there has been quite a bit of activity recently from both Detlef and myself.

AaronL

Originally Posted by gisborne View Post
Many thanks for this.

Note that it crashes if I choose other than the native bit depth when connecting to my OS X box.
Can you elaborate regarding "native bit depth"? Only 8-bit and 16-bit are supported, and if you chose to automatically pick the bit depth, it most likely is using 16-bit. Does it crash when you specifically select 16-bit?

What VNC server are you using on OS X?

AaronL