Active Topics

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
What's bad about the lcd is the contrast and the black levels. The colours also look washed out. Mind you this is compared to my iphone 5. But this is 2013 after all. I don't mind the size.

Originally Posted by tenkom View Post
Anyone who prefer an n900 over a decent modern Android phone for anything other than nostalgic reason is a complete fanboy, maybe even slightly insane.
The n900 is just too slow in almost everything. And I know some of you will argue that if it had quad cores and 2GBs of ram it would be fast too... Well it doesn't.
I was able to load theverge mobile site, scroll down and hit "full site", load that and reload SIX times before the n900 was able to load the full site once, on my iphone 5. And I imagine a modern android phone will be just as fast.
Not to mention the terrible battery life, bad camera, low quality lcd, resistive touch screen and chunkiness.
The world has simply passed the n900 by, sadly. I did love it back in 2009.
For me I don't see too many people really claiming that the N900 is truly a better all around option today, just lamenting the fact that Maemo is still superior in so many ways compared to Android, iOS, and WP8...and wishing there was hardware available to match the OS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by tenkom View Post
Anyone who prefer an n900 over a decent modern Android phone for anything other than nostalgic reason is a complete fanboy, maybe even slightly insane.
Anyone who would prefer a modern Android phone over an N900 for anything other than the stereotypical smartphone tasks never appreciated what the N900 actually had to offer. See what I did there? I took your format of:
[sweeping generalization of people's preferences], [dismissive acknowledgement of reason deemed 'acceptable'], [insulting dismissal of all other reasons for that preference]
..and reversed it, albeit with a little less condescension and asininity.

Anyway:

There are no other phones on the market currently that offer everything that the N900 offers. (And I've had plenty of opportunity to familiarize myself with WebOS, Android of all sorts from Froyo to Ice Cream Sandwich, Windows Phone 8, and am about to get my hands on a Blackberry 10 device.) If there is any device that you think really does, point me to it, and in the event that you are right, I will be eternally grateful. More likely though, I will just point out something that I like being able to comfortably do on my N900 that the other devices don't offer.

There are, unfortunately, also plenty of things that the N900 can no longer do or never could do that modern phones excel at. I readily admit that. And I hate that that's the case and find myself using my N900s less and less for things like web browsing and so on. But until a device lets me do all of the things I routinely do on my N900s, with the same or better level of comfort and freedom etc, until then [edit]or until the deficiencies of the N900 become bad enough that they outweigh those things[/edit], there is no viable replacement for me, or for the numerous other people who still use N900s as their main phones or whatever.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2013-09-24 at 20:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I guess many of us chose n900 and n9 even though they are outdated, cameras arent as good as they could be, battery life is quite bad but I cant live with anything else. Yes, both my n9 and n900 are slow but I know that and I can forgive them that. I could have had sgs4, iphone 5, bb z10, lumia 920 but when I use them I feel they are slow. Why? Because when I know I've got damn fast quadcore and 2GB of ram I expect it to work fast and I have that sgs4 in my hands and I use and I get mad because it lags, that freaks me out. I mean really freaks me out, then I take out my n9 and I open telephone app and it loads faster. I'm like wtf?! Then I unlock that sgs4 and its loading widgets. Again, whaat? I used to hate my n9 for working slow, then because it died on me I was forced to use lumia 820. At first I was sceptical and hated it. Later when I got used to it I hated it. How could the 'perfect os' hang, require reboots and those tranaitions took forever. I fixed my n9 and I am not going back to anything else. Jolla might be my blessing. Since then I bought another n900 and have a lot of fun with it. Now I am just thinking about buying an 808 to play with it and have a phone that simply works and no matter what photos it takes, I can be sure they the best I can get.
oh, about bb10, I was expecting something different, more harmattan like and faster. And that lock button on top, it killed it.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
oh, about bb10, I was expecting something different, more harmattan like and faster. And that lock button on top, it killed it.
So I got to mess around with BB10 for a few days now. Personally, I actually don't mind the lock button on top. Though it would be nice if there was a gesture to lock the screen without using the button, like there is a gesture to unlock the screen without using it. *Shrug* Full disclosure, I have yet to have actual experience with Harmattan, as I've never had access to either an N9 nor an N950.

So far I've enjoyed the gesture based navigation, the much more proper multitasking vs how so many mainstream mobile OSs do multitasking (from what I understand - I haven't seen iOS7's multitasking, but I imagine that like Android, they still mostly pause programs in the background unless they explicitly do things in background services in their code, which as far as I'm concerned has never been enough to count as true multitasking), though I hear running background code without a window being open at all is very painful to implement on BB10 from a developer perspective, which in a sense is also a lack of full proper multitasking. It's a nice OS and I wouldn't really mind it too much if that was what I had to use as my day to day device. I enjoy using it, which is more than I can say for regular use of Android or iOS.

But everything I said in my prior post, about the N900 being able to do things that other devices of the phone variety can't, stands.

[QUOTE=Mentalist Traceur;1377693]So I got to mess around with BB10 for a few days now. Personally, I actually don't mind the lock button on top. Though it would be nice if there was a gesture to lock the screen without using the button, like there is a gesture to unlock the screen without using it. *Shrug* Full disclosure, I have yet to have actual experience with Harmattan, as I've never had access to either an N9 nor an N950.

I enjoy BB10 too. I also wish there was a lock option without power button.

You can do that while peeking on the lockscreen though. Drag the finger from bottom and up so it lights up. Keep the finger on the screen and then swipe down over the bottom edge again and the screen will turn off.

I love the BB10 keyboard. I will buy another Z10 once the price hits rock bottom. They are beginning to become as cheap as the N9 here in Sweden.

Tags
bloatedswisbad!