Active Topics

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by JPB
There is no way that you are going to bring this devise to your face to talk and listen unless you like to attract attention.
My kids have RAZR Bluetooth phones. I went to Walmart and got them earpieces for $45 each. Now they can keep their phones in their pockets when they're talking. Is this not how VOIP will work on the 770? There's a new SKYPE earpiece available now that specifically blends this same Bluetooth functionality with VOIP. I think we can count on the world's #2 cell phone manufacturer to provide us with an identical solution when they move to VOIP in the upgrade that they have been talking about. The Texas Instruments OMAP 1710 inside the 770 is designed to support this, by the way.

Originally Posted by Remote User
I think we can count on the world's #2 cell phone manufacturer to provide us with an identical solution when they move to VOIP in the upgrade that they have been talking about.
In US, Motorola is number one, but Nokia is world's #1 cell phone manufacturer. Motorola is second.

Originally Posted by Remote User
My kids have RAZR Bluetooth phones. I went to Walmart and got them earpieces for $45 each. Now they can keep their phones in their pockets when they're talking. Is this not how VOIP will work on the 770? There's a new SKYPE earpiece available now that specifically blends this same Bluetooth functionality with VOIP. I think we can count on the world's #2 cell phone manufacturer to provide us with an identical solution when they move to VOIP in the upgrade that they have been talking about. The Texas Instruments OMAP 1710 inside the 770 is designed to support this, by the way.
Yeah, bluetooth will be the way for sure.
I doubt we'll be using Skype though as they use proprietary technology (boo!) and unless they develop the client there won't be one.
Open source developers are already working on SIP clients though

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Remote: True enough, though given those earpieces basically work as a microphone/speaker combo, perhaps the 770 can be used with the built in ones. I'm not saying it's preferred, but it'd be nice to at least have the option there (while hiding under your coat so nobody sees you trying to talk to a calculator)

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
I am intrigued by Nokia's decision to use Texas Instruments' OMAP technology, even if was the obvious choice to power the 770 because it's the leading chip in the latest generation of cell phones. At linuxdevices.com there's a new article on the newest OMAP, the 2430. http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2420794631.html
It's a stunning performer and, as I've speculated before, I expect a 770 (870 or 780, perhaps) with a 2420 or 2430 in it next year. Nokia says that they don't want the 770 to have to compete with anyone's cell phone and I concur with that. Anyone who reads where the tech that powers the 770 is going can't doubt the amazing future that's unfolding, especially since Linux is emerging as the OS of choice for all of this
In an earlier article on the same web site TI talks about tools targeting specific market applications. TI says it will offer "software frameworks," "complete, application-specific software solutions previously built by OEMs
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2383518867.html

Now they're talking about what really interests me because that's what I did with X ten years ago; I built a framework for rapidly developing such application specific GUIs and solutions. Now that the hardware manufacturers are finally building wireless mobile devices that can connect to, and contain, vertical market GUIs and apps I couldn't be happier about the future. For the first time, all the components actually exist. Moreover, there is no price barrier to overcome and the value of the Free Software component is being recognized by all involved. It's The Perfect Storm.

As per this review, it's a mic.

Yes, the microphone is right beside the power plug (the small hole).

To add to this:

Nokia confirms presence of microphone

I've been able to get audio pass-through to work just fine, but it did take some poking at SysFS nodes to get it to turn on. :-)

Originally Posted by JMills
To add to this:

Nokia confirms presence of microphone

I've been able to get audio pass-through to work just fine, but it did take some poking at SysFS nodes to get it to turn on. :-)
How, pray tell?

Originally Posted by bigboote
How, pray tell?
Don't do this without headphones plugged in... you'll likely overload the audio subsystem with feedback.

From a shell prompt (i.e., inside `xterm` on the N770)
sudo gainroot
cd /sys/devices/platform/audio-i2c/
echo 1 > mic_enable
echo 1 > mic_loopback
echo 100 > gain_left
echo 100 > gain_right
echo 90 > volume_left
echo 90 > volume_right

Realize that as soon as the tlv320aic23 powers down (N770 goes 'dim') you'll need to re-enable the mic_loopback subsystem again by re-echoing '1' to it.

You might also want to dial the volume down after playing, 90 is almost max.

st_attenuation appears to apply filtering, but I haven't had enough time to play with it. Allowable values are at minimum {0, 1 .. 3}