Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, it has been a slow road but we are getting there.
Lately more and more my colleagues are ditching their Windows workstations and installing Linux instead; it has been that way for a long time with developers but has recently also spread to the auxillary roles too. (managers, secretaries, maintanance crew...)

Sure the official install image is still windows but as there are also well-supplrted alternatives it is easy to try Linux instead.
Sorry, but hopefully pichlo is bizzy voting so I can step in here. Not on his behalf but as an innocent bystander. While it might happen that a few project here and there using Linux in some way I can't imagine it's a majority that goes even semi Linux. Or do you count virtual box with Linux. Linux? Or even Cygwin ?

Do you think windows lose its top position within, let's say 10 years?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-08 at 14:24.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sorry, but hopefully pichlo is bizzy voting so I can step in here. Not on his behalf but as an innocent bystander. While it might happen that a few project here and there using Linux in some way I can't imagine it's a majority that goes even semi Linux. Or do you count virtual box with Linux. Linux? Or even Cygwin ?

How much money is Microsoft making per pc with windows installed?

Hoe much money is Ubuntu/Redhat/Centos... making with every pc that it is installed on?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
How much money is Microsoft making per pc with windows installed?

Hoe much money is Ubuntu/Redhat/Centos... making with every pc that it is installed on?
So you are saying the one with most money after the wars is the winner?

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-08 at 16:59.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland

I cannot say how it is generally, I was just describing to how it is with us. As a strong development house swdevs make the bulk of people here, and nowdays all new products run on linux platform. (and even the legacy products are built on linux toolchain)

It is possible to use Windows as your main desktop and log on to remote systems for development and testing, but it is easier to use only one system all the way through; hence many have slipped away from Microsoft's grasp.
And the example of developers is dragging other people along; especially as the windows environment causes so many worries and glitches all the time, to where IM cannot help the people.

With Linux there is quite strong peer-help culture in the company, so when you encounter glitches they are quickly solved. In contrast when there are problems in Windows environment there is no way to solve the problems by oneself, instead you are forced to create an IM ticket which will often just get closed witout a fix...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I cannot say how it is generally, I was just describing to how it is with us. As a strong development house swdevs make the bulk of people here, and nowdays all new products run on linux platform. (and even the legacy products are built on linux toolchain)

It is possible to use Windows as your main desktop and log on to remote systems for development and testing, but it is easier to use only one system all the way through; hence many have slipped away from Microsoft's grasp.
And the example of developers is dragging other people along; especially as the windows environment causes so many worries and glitches all the time, to where IM cannot help the people.

With Linux there is quite strong peer-help culture in the company, so when you encounter glitches they are quickly solved. In contrast when there are problems in Windows environment there is no way to solve the problems by oneself, instead you are forced to create an IM ticket which will often just get closed witout a fix...
What about High Sierra. It might walk all over Linux. You know Apple. It just works. Whatever you're doing it just works

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-08 at 18:10.

So you are saying the one with most money after the wars is the winner?
No. They just have the most money....

Maybe Microsoft can buy up Nokia with all that cash! Oops! They already tried that...

No. They just have the most money....

Maybe Microsoft can buy up Nokia with all that cash! Oops! They already tried that...
What about jolla?

What about jolla?
What would Microsoft do if it bought Jolla?

What would Microsoft do if it bought Jolla?
Make it possible to duel boot on all its new phones by default, make it as open source as possible for users can switch between windows and sail.

...and of course. Make sure jolla push out the second refund

Win win win. Epic winning!

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-08 at 19:11.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What about High Sierra. It might walk all over Linux. You know Apple. It just works. Whatever you're doing it just works
I had no idea whatsoever what's a "High Sierra" until I googled it. (It did remind me of Williamses Sierra games which kind of dates me )

Well, now I know what it is but it does not have much relation to the topic here.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson