While I appreciate the platform benefits to MeeGo over Android etc at the end of the day I am a hardware whore.

I want a 4" to 4.3" screen with a 960x540 QHD resolution, 800x480 is so last year. this is one area i can imagine nokia falling down vs Apple/Android.

I want an OpenCL capable SoC, and at present the only people who can provide one is the rumoured Iphone5 with its SGX543-2 gpu, and the PSP2 with its SGX 543-4 gpu. another area where Nokia is likely not to be forward looking enough compared to its competition.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
While I appreciate the platform benefits to MeeGo over Android etc at the end of the day I am a hardware whore.
But what good is hardware when the OS deliberately limits how you can use it?

I want an OpenCL capable SoC, and at present the only people who can provide one is the rumoured Iphone5 with its SGX543-2 gpu, and the PSP2 with its SGX 543-4 gpu. another area where Nokia is likely not to be forward looking enough compared to its competition.
I'm sure Nokia is just raring to get into the SoC business. Actually, considering that the PSP2 isn't due until the end of the year, I don't think Nokia has much to worry about. Like all of their major competitors except Apple, they'll be using 3rd party SoCs anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
sure, i see the point, but that openness does no good if there are no capabilities to make use of.

i never believed that nokia wanted to get into the SoC business, i merely note that Android will soon have access to the Adreno 300 gpu with openCL support, and Ios will soon use the SGX543 gpu which likewise has OpenCL support, whereas there is nothing on TI/ST-Ericson's roadmap that has similar capabilities.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Kenny1001 View Post
switching to desire hd is stupid imo. why? Because I think specwise you go back in the past. 2011 is dualcore year imo.

I buy the device that knocks me off my sox. Last was atrix 4g
Expecting a lot from htc, lg, samsung and iPhone.
iPhone is supported massively. Thats a plus. So IF it's got an ARM a9 a-like, 1gb ram, 64gb storage, 4" screen, fullhd record and play... why not?
Exactly!

The way we are going is cloud computing.
What we need is compatibility and support.
You really think Nokia are going to play ball on that one?

Even Tesco supports iPhone with an app that allows you to scan barcodes when out and about and it'll add the item to your shopping basket.
Now that is actually USEFUL, are nokia doing it...no.
All the angry birds seasons, useless but fun none the less, do we see them? no.
the list goes on and on and on.

@Mentalist, I get what you're saying. I am allowed to be my own undoing to a certain extent.
But even so, the OS should be written to for eg. allocate 10% always to UI, 10% ready for a phone call. 80% still available to multi task but when a call comes in the UI can respond before my answer machine does.

My main problem with Nokia is they don't test anything properly.
I remember they brought out an OS update for the n86 which destroyed the landscape mode, it litterally took 20 seconds to change between portrait and landscape, and I'm not exagerating.
Nokia's answer was to disable turning. Just like when we moan about flash security they say 'disable it'.

FFS that is not a solution you bunch of ignorant twats!!!

I seriously think Nokia should just go back to making welly boots.

Oh and what good does open source do us when it is only really the closed blobs that are broken?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Way ahead of you as i got Galaxy S and will soon replace it with iphone 4.
Though as funny it might sound with all these amazing Android phones already announced and more to come in MWC(especially from Samsung) i'm most interested about Nokia's MeeGo.

But unfortunatly i'm not expecting to see announcement of that MeeGo phone any time soon.
So i'll let the time pass and most probably buy it when ever it comes out.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The irony of being open is that it's closed to the proprietary gardens; and that's where most of the paid and premium content lives.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
N900 is just getting really good. I can't possibly leave now.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Meh, the moment you completely dedicate x resources to y task, people are going to be annoyed. If they had limited __ CPU resources to UI, someone would've said screw that a few months in, and something like Power Kernel would come with the ability to disable such things. To me it pretty much comes back to the aforementioned - N900 gets a bunch of **** from its users because it lets them see what there is to ***** about.

But, yes, I agree that disabling **** when it doesn't work isn't a solution, it's dickery. Of course, the iPhone can't exactly say anything better in that department, since 'just don't hold it that way' happened with the antenna thing.

Also, the amount of apps available on the iPhone barely count for support BY Apple. It's supported by other companies because it's popular. You want Tesco to make an app for it, then you annoy them about it. Apple didn't make Tesco make that app. Thousands of sheep flocking to the iPhone made Tesco make that app. If you want to change that, you write to the companies that won't make N900/Linux apps, and if even half of the people here who ***** about the N900 lacking apps did that, it would show them that there's probably something viable about this platform.

As for the cloud, it just upsets me. I do not like the fact that people can be okay with their information and processing being done by things they have no jurisdiction or oversight over. Admittedly, I use GMail, so I make exceptions to that too, but at least Google has a process by which you can request that your information/stored data is deleted.

But I know GMail isn't mine so it's not like I allow my life's entire communications to happen through it.

Back to the point though, I can see how it makes sense to store copies of **** online, especially for something that happens online - you have to be connected to the internet to get emailing to even happen. So I get running emails this way. But everything? And not the do-it-yourself-by-setting-up-your-own-server way, but a here-let-me-let-this-company-handle-my-image-editing, while-I-stream-the-video-I'm-recording-over-to-that-company's-servers, oh-and-here-why-don't-you-over-there-take-my-money-for-the-pleasure-of-letting-me-run-my-calculations-on-your-servers. Yes, most companies will probably be relatively decent about it.

But it's dangerous, the way infringements on internet freedom are dangerous, the way giving police/courts/whatever too much power is dangerous, etc. And cloud-ification can be done right and in a way that averts those dangers, but happily rushing into the fluffiness that is being touted as cloud computing is not the way to do it. (Keep in mind, too, that cloud computing has been more or less most vocally pushed by the people who stand to gain from it - businesses with sufficient funds to deploy a sufficiently robust server infrastructure.)

On a slightly humorous note regarding cloud computing:
http://qdb.us/305324

- Edit -

Just saw all the asterisks in my post. Didn't realize I cuss that much. I know I do, regularly, but that was more than I thought I did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
Nokia N9, for sure.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
gingerbread looks really nice.
many great super-phones are coming
android has a great future
many good hd games and apps
n900 was a nice device but its outdated and will definetly be changed in the next 2-3 months
regards

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:

Tags
die android die, nokia blows