Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I read this on CNN its from a Chinese site

"Jobs is the spiritual leader of our time," wrote @Xiongpeiyun on Sina Weibo. "I like Steve Jobs more than I like Apple. It's a huge loss for the whole world. But his life was complete because he had been looking for and found what he loved. I haven't committed whole heartedly to my life like Jobs had been doing. So, next to him, I feel more ashamed than being sad."

This is how I feel, that as a business owner you can't really learn much more about how to dream big and go big and be happy about it than from Steve jobs. RIP Mr Jobs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
He truly was a visionary, not just in his products but in the electronic business as a whole. It's sad anyway. RIP Steve.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
RIP Steve.

He had the vision to turn great computing devices into objects of desire which the ordinary man and woman in the street wanted, could use, and without crashing every 5 minutes.

Sure he had great designers, hardware and software designers working for him, but it was HIS ethos and vision which lead the teams bringing those products to market.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Gone far too soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
I can't believe I see so many "omfg I am so sad" or "he was a visionary/revolutionary" posts.

I mean, sure, he changed some things, for example popularizing big smartphones and tablets, but he was not the first. He just knew how to ******** people with speeches such as: "Now you can hold the whole internet in your hands" (with the iPad).

And let us not forget that Apple stifled more innovation than they created. They sue companies left and right for breaking patents, and now they more or less claim that they owe exclusive rights to minimalistic tablets. They managed to get Samsung phones and tablets banned in some countries, and if they could get their way, they would get all their competitors banned worldwide. How is this innovating?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
I can't believe I see so many "omfg I am so sad" or "he was a visionary/revolutionary" posts.

I mean, sure, he changed some things, for example popularizing big smartphones and tablets, but he was not the first. He just knew how to ******** people with speeches such as: "Now you can hold the whole internet in your hands" (with the iPad).

And let us not forget that Apple stifled more innovation than they created. They sue companies left and right for breaking patents, and now they more or less claim that they owe exclusive rights to minimalistic tablets. They managed to get Samsung phones and tablets banned in some countries, and if they could get their way, they would get all their competitors banned worldwide. How is this innovating?
This is pretty much what I'm saying.

I'll give him this much credit: He was GREAT for competition and a GENERALLY respectful adversary in business. He did, at least, give computing the kind of public image it needed--simple, clean and functional. An uncomplicated image.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
How is this innovating?
It is innovating business.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
It is innovating business.
See, that I could buy. But every time I hear news reporters and interviews, they keep speaking of him as a visionary in the same breath as inventions and innovations and invoking the names of people such as Thomas Edison (which is ironic given he's best known for "inventing the light bulb" but it's been shown that he wasn't the first to invent it... but the first to patent it--but that's the image you're supposed to see).

He was an excellent business person and he knew that the general public needed a good artsy looking thing if they were to accept computers and electronics into their daily lives the way most tech saavy people already do. For that, he was indeed a business man and a great entrepreneur... but by no means an inventor or originator.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
He innovated what his company was doing to a point that he made Apple the most valuable in the world. He achieved a level of success that is tangible and measurable.

I can understand why people don't get people feeling sad etc...but from an achievements standpoint he measurably achieved and executed on his vision to the very top and for this he undoubtedly deserves respect. I dream of being able to be as good at my job as he was at his.

I don't know much about his personal life but I'm guessing he was probably quite happy with that too or at least strove to make himself as happy as he could be.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Oh, no doubt, he was an excellent business man, probably the best in the world. He started Apple from 0, and look where it is now.
But I don't respect him (or Apple) because they did a lot of unethical things to get where they are now.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs