Hey guys I got Android x86 running on my netbook and with Gingerbread it works very smoothly though I still have problems with wireless maybe I will post a video about it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Very cool. What netbook do you have?

I have an Acer AOA150 currently serving as a testbed, so I might just try Androidx86 on it.

edit: Any other issues besides wireless? Webcam, SD card reader (if you have one), touchpad etc?

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Last edited by frostbyte; 2011-09-17 at 18:48.

Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Very cool. What netbook do you have?

I have an Acer AOA150 currently serving as a testbed, so I might just try Androidx86 on it.

edit: Any other issues besides wireless? Webcam, SD card reader (if you have one), touchpad etc?
Sd card reader usb host work just fine and I think the webcam does work.

Installed it on my Acer, as easy of an installation as with any mainstream distros.

UI is exactly like vanilla Android on a phone; feels snappy all around, I liked the mouse right-click to go back in app drawer/menu.

Wireless did not work as expected. My ethernet port is inop so don't know if there is/was a way to establish a cable connection.

Main problem was screensaver; as the screen times out, the normal lock screen would appear, but this would eventually crash my Acer.

All in all, a fun 10-15 mins, but I think I'll go back to a conventional distro.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
OK here is a video of Android running on my Netbook. It is an HP Mini 210 with an Intel Atom 1.6ghz single core and 1gb of ram. In order for this to work you need to download Unetbootin and http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads and download the Gingerbread eeepc build. You need a USB drive which you will use as a bootdisk and second external storage device which will store downloaded files, you need this if you want to downloads applications. At boot up select vesa mode to avoid graphical issues. Anyways things I notice are very smooth animations, portrait mode issues, app incompatibility, and lack of support for wireless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrPDiwdFJDo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
" - The SGN will run on Samsung’s Exynos dual core CPU clocked at 1.5GHz, 1gb RAM, Super AMOLED Plus 4.65 inch 1280x720 HD display, 16gb internal memory (with sd card slot) is 8.8mm thick, metal body and a 2000mAh battery (the same as the new one that’s being released for the Galaxy S II "

Anonymous 4chan user hands on with Nexus Prime
Seriously? Holy damn.
Everything sounds awesome, except a few things.
1- An SD card is faster, larger storage, and cheaper than microSD ... I really hope they add it!!!
2- The phone is small, I was hoping for something closer to 4.7". It is actually 4.3" because remember the thick notification bar/navigational buttons will be on-screen and take the place where the navigational (back, home, menu) were on other devices. It's like a tall Nexus S, just as confirmed.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Everything sounds awesome, except a few things.
1- An SD card is faster, larger storage, and cheaper than microSD ... I really hope they add it!!!
2- The phone is small, I was hoping for something closer to 4.7". It is actually 4.3" because remember the thick notification bar/navigational buttons will be on-screen and take the place where the navigational (back, home, menu) were on other devices. It's like a tall Nexus S, just as confirmed.
1) microSD cards can be (and are sometimes) faster than their equivalent SD cards that aren't rated to be any faster. Take a look at results from running 'SD Tools'... I, for example, just ordered a 32GB Class 10 microSD for my Galaxy Tab to use to replace the 16GB Class 2 I've been using all along. It will EASILY run at least as well as even the other Class 10 full size SD cards I have. Whether a microSD is faster or slower isn't related to its form micro vs full form factor--objective benchmarks prove that they're just as varied as the full size cards--from very slow to turbo fast.

2) ...Except when they aren't there--and that's the important thing. For Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich aware games and for full screen video, those on-screen controls will not be there until it detects a touch near the controls areas to wake those widgets back up. (If you've used Honeycomb before, you know what I'm talking about... if you've never used it before, check it out in the store sometime on a Honeycomb running tablet... go ahead and full-screen a video or something.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Samsung Galaxy S 8GB 5" WIFI on woot today, $169.99 (+$5 shipping)

http://www.woot.com
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Daumn! Not that I'm buying one, but holy sphinx! Puts the N9 specs/price into perspective...

"The Cake Is A Lie"

I dont have any HC devices, but I've used them in-store. I haven't ever noticed the buttons/bar disappearing in any apps, inc the browser.
It sounds like a recipe for disaster when you have to actuate a press to get the buttons to appear, especially if you accidentally hit something unwanted or more-often-than-not your empty trigger will automatically register an object close to it... because Android is like that sometimes.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Samsung Galaxy S 8GB 5" WIFI on woot today, $169.99 (+$5 shipping)

http://www.woot.com
It would be good if Samsung added the 5MP shooter from the original SGS and the phone radio frequencies and sold it for $199 instead. Still waiting for Galaxy Note or Galaxy Prime, here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy