Active Topics

Well sounds like this is a repeatable flaw in that part... using the toothometer Im 90% positive that the connector part is not glass filled. Maybe some stress from moulding and a slight flex of the unit at some stage made it crack?

I contacted Nokia in December about it but got a reply telling me to take into a local store for fixing, and get a temp replacement from them.. This was when there was a huge shortage in the Uk so I didnt bother.

I have had the crack for about 2 mths now and it hasnt spread mainly because the crack has no where to go. This is how they fix cracks in aircraft panels - drill a hole at each end of the crack and it cannot propogate.

The warping in mine has got worse - i wonder if the strain from the warping made the crack appear?

Last edited by gristle; 2006-01-30 at 16:31.

I have also this crack and also small part is missing on the other end. I can't say what was cause though.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Dunedin, New Zealand
I didn't notice until I read this thread, but my 770 (one month old) has the same crack. Definitely some design/manufacturing weakness.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Same rocking action here, no crack though. No biggie for me as I usually am holding the 770 at ~45 degrees when I'm using it. Only other flaw is a single pixel flaw that remains green in the bottom right corner of the screen. Most of the time I don't notice it though. It will be interesting to see what future technology is introduced to solve these and other common problems with the next generation of mobile devices.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by =DC=
It will be interesting to see what future technology is introduced to solve these and other common problems with the next generation of mobile devices.
Drop testing and other physical test are good for the case defects.
They must have done this though...

I have a German assembled unit, in the UK. Anyone with the Estonian unit have any of the case problems?

Also got the crack. I think it surfaced after I left the nokia in the cold inside the car.

@ desktop:

I guess I should be grateful I at least have flawless hardware.

No rocking; frame is fine; no crack.

-- edited to add:

From Estonia.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Estonian... zero issues with the case. I keep it in my pocket and use it in frigid Canadian weather - - no issues.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Spokane, WA.
Mine also rocks and has the crack, plus a crack from the miniUsb to the power port.

I also have one bad pixel that turns red instead of black. Only noticible when playing movies with black backgrounds.