Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
On my last visit back home a couple of friends "complained" for the lack of a Greek translation for Maemo. I promptly responded: "The beauty/power of open source is that WE can correct that!!" and everybody looked at me even more puzzled!!

Thanks to firstfan, it is easy to add the Greek language (or any other language) using his project n900-locales-extras, since he has taken the responsibility for packaging locales for different languages.
I have already asked him and he has generated all the files needed to be translated.

Now, if you feel like helping, here is how:

First you need to create an account at www.transifex.net (if you don't have one already)
There is a nice video to show you how the translations are done - It's really simple.

Then, hop at: http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/...ns/c/main/l/el choose a component and start translating.

Other useful links:

Conversation (in Greek) for the translation work is done here
Package events: http://maemo.org/packages/view/n900-...s-extras-elgr/

UPDATES:

12/02/2010: First release (only in extras-devel)
14/02/2010: Second release (only in extras-devel)
17/02/2010: Third release (only in extras-devel, mostly corrections of details here and there)
21/02/2010: Forth release (only in extras-devel, includes 87% of the total needed translations)
01/03/2010: Fifth release (only in extras-devel, includes 94% of the total needed translations)
07/03/2010: Sixth release (only in extras-devel, corrections in more than 500 strings)
18/03/2010: Seventh release (only in extras-devel, corrections, corrections, and some new translations)
02/04/2010: Eighth release (only in extras-devel, new translations, includes 98% of the total needed translations)
16/05/2010: Release 20100516-r1442 (only in extras-devel, new strings for PR1.2 compatibility, new translations, includes 97% of the total needed translations)
26/05/2010: Release 20100526-r1466 (only in extras-devel, new translations, includes 98% of the total needed translations)
21/06/2010: Release 20100526-r1507 (only in extras-devel, new translations, includes 99% of the total needed translations)
05/10/2010: Release 20101005-r1657 COMPLETE and waiting promotion to extras.
19/10/2010: It is in extras testing

It's now in extras

Last edited by Saturn; 2011-02-08 at 00:45.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
The translation is on the way and the greek language is coming for n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Nice, I try to figure out how to request him to add additional language to his package. Yes nice to have it in our own language ..

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by chealyte View Post
Nice, I try to figure out how to request him to add additional language to his package. Yes nice to have it in our own language ..
Hi chealyte,

Just go to http://code.google.com/p/n900-extra-...ns/issues/list
and add a new issue were you ask the files for your language to be created.

New release in Extras-devel. Note: only for testers and developers or people willing to mess with unstable packages.

Updated the first post with more info.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
While I applaud the translation effort I'm a little worried about licensing of these strings - the en_US seems to be based off msgunfmt and dragged out from the currently (closed source?) Nokia strings?

In my licensing-cautious head, this strikes me as making them a bit tainted..

(That said, there seems to be indications the string licensing situation may improve which I'm immensely looking forward to)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
While I applaud the translation effort I'm a little worried about licensing of these strings - the en_US seems to be based off msgunfmt and dragged out from the currently (closed source?) Nokia strings?

In my licensing-cautious head, this strikes me as making them a bit tainted..

(That said, there seems to be indications the string licensing situation may improve which I'm immensely looking forward to)
Yes you are right and thanks for raising such a major issue.

I "know" that Nokia will not exercise their rights on this effort. The pity though, is that it will not support it and the work by their supporters and contributors will need to be double to achive this and moreover they will need to repeat it at every major version of Maemo.

If anyone knows an issue, brainstorm or similar to vote/follow please provide a link.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Damn.. How did I miss this

Καλή δουλειά, το εγκατέστησα!

Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
Damn.. How did I miss this

Καλή δουλειά, το εγκατέστησα!
Thanks for installing it. Please feel free to report any mistakes or improvements you might find.

Anapospastos (you can thank him on the second post) is also one of the main contributors.

New release in extras-devel.

- Several corrections on fuzzy translated strings
- New addressbook format to show both Latin and Greek contacts.

For developers/translators

You can get the effect shown in the screenshot translate the addr_li_alpha_* ids in the following way:
Code:
msgid "addr_li_alpha_1"
msgstr "ΑΒΓ|ABC"

msgid "addr_li_alpha_11"
msgstr "ΑΒΓABC"
Happy testing

Updated first post with the files not yet translated..

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:

Tags
greek, hellenic, locale, translations