My virtual keyboard seems to have gone invisible - when it activates, all I see is a big empty black space where the keys should be. I still see the white textbox with an active cursor, and in the top left corner of the keyboard area I have a dropdown arrow that I can dismiss the keyboard with.

But that's it. The keys are not just invisible, they are not there - pressing the area does nothing.

I must admit, I was mucking about trying to free up some root space, and I might have deleted some hildon-type thing. That's just a big guess, though - I was trying to update Knots and it told me I was missing a "libhildon". That could be unrelated coincidence though, I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience or solution to this problem? I'm not really looking forward to reflashing, if I don't have to. I was able to update to the new firmware today, and that didn't help, fwiw.

Thanks for any help.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
install uKeyboard from Extra. You'll be fine.

Ok, I did that, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I rebooted as well, just to be sure.

Here is what I'm looking at

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
hmmm reflash will fix this.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
hmmm reflash will fix this.
Boohoo! I don't want to lose all my programs and settings! Isn't there another way?

If not, where's the most user-friendly reflash wiki/howto?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
Boohoo! I don't want to lose all my programs and settings! Isn't there another way?

If not, where's the most user-friendly reflash wiki/howto?
I had something really similar to you after fiddling with the virtual keyboard files. Here is my adventure http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40619

I don't think you can do anything other than flashing, but the backup app did very well restoring about everything on my device. It's like I never flashed. I chose not to backup installed app's list, as I preferred to just install everything the first time I needed it, but all the settings of the apps got perfectly in place, so when I chose to reinstall an app, it's settings were there.
________
WELLBUTRIN PROBLEMS

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:31.

Actucally, several programs cannot be updated because of the 'missing files'. If they are uninstalled, they cannot be installed.

If you are using a keyboard layout other than English, try changing it back to English. It ought to bring back the little buttons.

The Following User Says Thank You to moodswinger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
"My system32 folder was taking a lot of space so I deleted some of the unnecessary files. Now my computer doesn't boot anymore. Halp!"

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Croatia
make restore in phone settings and restart the device, must working.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
"My system32 folder was taking a lot of space so I deleted some of the unnecessary files. Now my computer doesn't boot anymore. Halp!"
Yes something like that, although I was just trying to revert to pre 1.1 vkb. And the cursor was blinking next to flasher.exe...
________
Sunset Boulevard Residence

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:31.