Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
In today’s litigious society and in markets where a contributory negligence defense could somehow place fault on the actual device for allowing it's operator to be distracted (<I don’t agree with this, but it happens), I'm not sure it is a good idea for a manufacturer to promote one handed operation of a smart phone.
Only in the US. Don't you love to be living in a society with no personal responsibility. I mean how on earth could it be the fault of the manufacturer that you texted while driving? Is it the fault of the printing industry if you read a newspaper while driving? Seriously!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
UGH... design by litigation is even WORSE than design by committee. Lets NOT go down that path, please.
No not designed by litigation... designed with civic responsibility.

Before focusing on statements I made, quoted, or cited to support the premise of my question, can you provide possible answers to the question?

While operating a mobile device with one hand, what is it that you suppose people are doing with the other?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-09-01 at 12:17.

While operating a mobile device with one hand, what is it that you suppose people are doing with the other?
You could be doing a lot of things that doesn't involve putting yourself or others in danger. How about carrying a bag for example.

designed with civic responsability
There's no such thing. How would a hammer manufacturer design with civic responsibility? If you're stupid or careless enough to hit your thumb while not paying attention, it's your fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Only in the US. Don't you love to be living in a society with no personal responsibility. I mean how on earth could it be the fault of the manufacturer that you texted while driving? Is it the fault of the printing industry if you read a newspaper while driving? Seriously!!
Ain't that the truth... but I said "promote one handed operation".

Profit and ethics of conviction are not mutually exclusive... However, I sometimes also think that within the past 25 years, "Only in the US" do we think the opposite is true.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@YoDude:
- Carry bag\plastic bag\etc (general)
- Hold a document\product for comparison with content shown on screen (ie: shopping)
- Hold a torch\flashlight\cane (ie: outdoor navigation)
- Play with your private parts (ie: redtube)

Ain't that the truth... but I said "promote one handed operation".

Profit and ethics of conviction are not mutually exclusive... However, I sometimes also think that within the past 25 years, "Only in the US" do we think the opposite is true.
So all the previous phones before the n900 'promotes' one handed operation because they work in portrait?

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Has there been any popular (smart)phone in the past that is landscape only?
Most Nokia communicators ? You could argue it had a 'hardware portrait mode', but that of misses the point...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
No not designed by litigation... designed with civic responsibility.
Whose version of civic responsibility?

I mean, looking into another arena, one in which manufacturers have already been sued...

Which version of "civic responsibility" do you design for, with guns? The version of 'civic responsibility" which says "all adult citizens will carry" (true in some municipalities in the US), the version that says "all households will have one" (also true in some municipalities), or the version that says "guns shouldn't exist at all". All 3 are valid versions of "civic responsibility", and yet are very different design cases.

This isn't an invitation to a gun debate, this is an illustration that "civic responsibility" is both "in the eye of the beholder" and "an easy avenue for elitist attempts to impose a point of view upon a populace".

If I was the head of a user interface design team, and someone said "we need to show civic responsibility, to avoid being sued, by making sure people can't text one handed on our devices", I would fire them from the team, on the spot, in front of the team.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post

...There's no such thing. How would a hammer manufacturer design with civic responsibility? If you're stupid or careless enough to hit your thumb while not paying attention, it's your fault.
You're right. However, if the manufacturer promoted the fact that their hammer is also a good way to open walnuts and it is this activity that leads to injured thumbs...well; wouldn't you agree it is in the manufactures best interest to drop promoting their hammer as a nut cracker?

Look, I'm not saying portrait mode is not useful. I use it with my N8**'s all the time (ironically cruising iPhone optimized sites). I'm just saying that I don't fault Nokia for not providing this function. Particularly when they provide a device and promote a software that can be more easily changed than others (imho) to suit the users needs. The fact that portrait mode would require a little effort on the users part or need a third parties involvement may, in the future prove prudent.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Most Nokia communicators ? You could argue it had a 'hardware portrait mode', but that of misses the point...
Yes, those are good examples. How does that miss the point though? I think it's exactly designed to address the 1 handed usecases discussed here

I know the hardware portrait mode on communicators lets you use voice, sms & mms function, but I wonder if you can do other stuffs through it also?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
However, if the manufacturer promoted the fact that their hammer is also a good way to open walnuts and it is this activity that leads to injured thumbs...well; wouldn't you agree it is in the manufactures best interest to drop promoting their hammer as a nut cracker?
No.

At most, the product should come with a warning that says "Some uses of this product increase the risk of thumb injury. The user should be aware of safety risks, and take proper precautions when using the device."

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case