Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I just saw this thread >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63483

This was the OP's first post on this forum:
hey guys i secure locked my device on my nokia n900 and i didn't know the lock code and the default 12345 doesn't work so i dint know what too do and its driving me crazy i was wondering if u guys knew any codes because my friend found one starting something like 77.... it worked but i cant remember it and i have locked myself out since anyway any help would b appreciated thanks
Now I don't know who this guy is and he could be the Pope for all I know so this is by no means meant to deride his character or a comment about his honesty but that's the point! :

No one knows who this guy is and from a simple search of his forum profile we find that his only posts and involvement in our organization have been in that one dang thread. :eek

>> http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=8710400

While reading that thread it became apparent that he did not know, or was just learning about the capabilities and limitations of the N900. We also see in that thread where some good intentioned members tried to help him out... Fortunately the thread has been closed but others may come and this is why I am calling for restraint.

In the future I am proposing that we refrain from posting instructions on how to defeat or circumvent a users security code. Instead, perhaps we should refer then to Nokia or if they are a known member, contacted via PM.

I realize that there are pro'ly plenty of web sites where this info could be found but none as visible and easy to join as talk.maemo.org

I would hate to think that a users security code can be compromised as easily as joining this site and making a few posts.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-10 at 13:19.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
i'll second that! if there is a way to circumvent the lock code and we're willing to tell anyone who takes the time to create an account after 'acquiring' an n900, whats the point in having the lock code?

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

I third that notion as well

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Fortunately, that user essentially got rid of himself. I agree that we should send users seeking to overcome security features to Nokia.

Edit: BTW, the title could have been more descriptive. I thought maybe we were considering invading North Korea and someone was against it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I agree.

The other thing also is that for many people that come here, English is not even their first language, how would you manage if you had to figure out something in a different language without a translator... either way the bottom line is if someone is asking for help is because they really need help otherwise they would not be asking for help in the first place, I'm quite sure when they find an answer that they will share it with others (i do), so would be nice if some people around here sometimes were more patient.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ UK/Scotland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Fortunately, that user essentially got rid of himself. I agree that we should send users seeking to overcome security features to Nokia.

Edit: BTW, the title could have been more descriptive. I thought maybe we were considering invading North Korea and someone was against it...
I'm pretty sure that with all the developers on this forum we would have the power to launch a decent attack on N.Korea's computer systems

Cantonese Pen Power Input is only available in Hong Kong...SUX!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ykho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Possibly a sticky in the Maemo 5 / Fremantle sub-forum is in order.

Something along the lines of:

Topic: Recovering a lost lock code
Due to security concerns, users should refrain from giving new and/or unestablished members instructions on how to circumvent the lock code.
You should instead refer them to Nokia Care, as these types of issues are generally their responsibility in the first place. If they are a well-established and trusted member, then instructions should be given via PM, instead of in the public eye.
Any suggestions on the content of the sticky would be welcome.

Edit: YoDude, could you change the thread title to something more descriptive?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I agree. But, at the same time, will admit that I would be willing to help out someone who's been around at this forum for a longer time. Let's say, hypothetically, that Gerbrick asks for an unlock code for his n900. Should I not be willing to share?

Fun put aside, I think in some rare cases people ought to be helped out, but the majority of silly questions seem to come from people that have posted once or twice.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I disagree myself.

Anti-theft measures are better handled by IMEI blacklisting.

A device lock that can be disabled by a reflash, then read out and brute forced, is not really a device lock. All it does is delay the inevitable.

My vote would be for a theft sticky advising people to go to their local government communications bureau to submit their IMEI rather than make a big deal about device locks that are really only designed to prevent access to the rootfs until reflash.

That's just me though. I'll happily type out how to do it if I see someone ask, no matter the post count : )

Maybe we just should start to keep a list of IMEIs of stolen N900s, and developers would start to put checking subroutines in their applications. When stolen IMEI is noticed, report it silently with SMS.

I at least know one IMEI of stolen N900, and I can in some degree prove it with documents.

I'd like Nokia to have a database of proven stolen IMEIs, so when firmware upgrade comes, it would report the IMSIs of stolen IMEIs. Of course the problem is, how to prove some IMEI is stolen one, so people just don't make DOS-attacks against each others by falsely reporting stolen IMEIs.

I wonder why Nokia chose so poor security policy to N900. Everyone has known for ages XXX is broken.

We would need to have Wiki how to use TrueCrypt to encrypt whole /home/user/MyDocs and if possible also /home.