Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks to all who voted my picture in January. My selection for the February theme is "EARTH"

Anything goes, as long as it has connection to Mother Earth or earthenly topics.

Rules are as usual:
Photos must be taken during this month (after theme is announced) and posted before voting starts.
Photos must be taken by the posting member.
Photos must be taken with a camera phone.
Post processing is allowed but you have to say what you did.
Users must name the phone and software they used.
Users post only one photo per entry.
Users can change the entry only once.
3 day voting period starts on February 26th at 23:59 UTC and ends at 23:59 UTC on February 29st.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Will try to remember :-) "Earth" is an interesting topic, and a challenging one...

Bump!

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Nice topic btw.

I was going to grab my rocket, fly to mars and take a photo from there, but the rocket broke

So here is my plan B photo

It was taken with a Samsung J4+, the image size was reduced in gimp, then I used a website to compress the png file size, it was reduced 65%.

Last edited by john_god; 2020-02-12 at 14:54.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
So here is my plan B photo

https://talk.maemo.org/attachment.ph...1&d=1581502048
vBulletin Message

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Upload the attachment in this dummy thread and include a link here.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Not my photo, of course. I've never been that far from home. And not taken this month, either, but July 19, 2013. But here's Earth (and its moon) taken from Saturn (in foreground) at somewhere around 1.5bn km away:

So that's where the bar is set for awesome Earth photos. All it took was the collaboration of all our planets's space agencies and affiliates! And an eclipse from Cassini's POV.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
OK here is my Entry

A view on the Earth (well part of it, but a beautiful one) from above:

Taken with the Pro1 and Sailfish stock camera app.
You might have guessed it, there was some editing:
I used hugin to stich three pics to get a nice panorama (I still miss this feature in the camera app). I used darktable to set white balance, push a little bit the blue and sharpen the pic.

I attached the photo used in the mid of the panorama, so you can see, what was done. It's original, I just reduced size, to be able to upload it here:

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Will try to remember :-) "Earth" is an interesting topic, and a challenging one...
[...]
Yes, let's get Earth Month out of the way. I hope the contests for the following months will explicitly exclude photos of anything on the Earth.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Yes, let's get Earth Month out of the way. I hope the contests for the following months will explicitly exclude photos of anything on the Earth.

Best way to make that a reality is to submit a sure-winner Earth photo! I definitely enjoyed your starfield last month (and the making-of discussion). "The Snowy Mountainscape" -- or perhaps "Panorama of Pistes" -- above may be tough to top, though!

And the contrasting "Warm Well-Trod Beach" is also a strong contender.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.

My entry. BlessN900, 77% (to be able to download), brightness about -30, contrast about +13 (forgot the exact numbers). Shot in Suomenlinna, Finland, this morning 14.2.2020.

This just spoke to me about earth being the rock we are grounded to, we stand on, something solid and (atleast here in Finland) not that shaky.

Have thought a lot the climate stuff. Many years ago started to think that magic worldview where you do not know that much and have a certain fear for unknown and unexplained and keep it as holy and sacred has it's benefits. Thinking of earth as mother earth, like a living organism (which it is in many ways) which we just inhabit and are dependent of makes one think differently of things. Like covering the skin with rock and cutting down plants that cover it and covering the whole organism with toxic gases and stuff. It just seems stupid if you connect in your mind to the idea of earth being a living organism.

I do not live in any absolute ecologic way. But I do not make a compromize with what I keep in my mind ideal. I just have to bare and deal with the contradiction not to lose the sight of what I think is the absolute right.

My small battle for good is trying to get people use their old devices instead of changing constantly to new ones (if one needs more horsepower that is fine). I just update rams, drives and install less ram and cpu hungry Oses which has become more difficult after so many linux distros and browsers have dropped support for 32bit. Now hoping a lot from KolibriOs with assembly language.

So that big metal ring preventing ships form drifting away is allegory here of me connecting my mind from drifting away of the understanding of earth (still) being a living organism and as such to be held sacred and holy (nothing religious beliefs included).

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-02-14 at 06:57.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@Maemish great shot. Have you used some vignette filter?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition