Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mk500 View Post
I'm sure it was simply a cost saving measure.
No, that's not it. I believe it simply had to do with changes in form factor—adding the kickstand (given the choice, I'll take the kickstand every time), moving the ports over onto the side from the bottom (very hard to rectify that with a sliding hardcover) and the addition of a barrel webcam.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
For anybody who finds this thread in the future, the exact steps you need to follow to solve this issue are here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...32&postcount=2
This was actually the first post I found when searching for the problem. I appreciate the work you put into documenting this. Unfortunately, the steps didn't work for me. Maybe I didn't wait long enough? (about an hour)

The only thing that worked for me was putting it in the freezer (in a ziplock) for 60 seconds. Each time I did this I could boot it exactly one time. I found the information here:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673

I highly recommend anyone who is still experiencing this upgrade to the newest OS2008 firmware. It would be a pain to be stuck somewhere without any way to power on your unit (even though I know most of us don't shut down very often). After the upgrade it works extremely well (and OS2008 is extremely slick).
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Maybe I didn't wait long enough? (about an hour)
That would be it. The time always varies, but it can frequently take longer than that.

An alternative solution, I suppose, would be to freeze it, take it out of the freezer (but do not turn it on!), get the flasher ready, plug in the USB and then turn it on holding down the Home key.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
No, that's not it. I believe it simply had to do with changes in form factor—adding the kickstand (given the choice, I'll take the kickstand every time), moving the ports over onto the side from the bottom (very hard to rectify that with a sliding hardcover) and the addition of a barrel webcam.
I have finally decided on getting myself an 810, but will be really sad to get rid of that cover. There aren't many machines with a well thought out design like that. I guess I will have to be more careful with the 810.

That would be it. The time always varies, but it can frequently take longer than that.

An alternative solution, I suppose, would be to freeze it, take it out of the freezer (but do not turn it on!), get the flasher ready, plug in the USB and then turn it on holding down the Home key.
Yup, exactly. That's what I ended up having to do.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
I have finally decided on getting myself an 810, but will be really sad to get rid of that cover. There aren't many machines with a well thought out design like that. I guess I will have to be more careful with the 810.
You will really enjoy your 810, and I think you are making the right choice. Hopefully my posts haven't been too negative, as I'm trying to be as balanced as possible. The overall performance and stability of the N800/810 is a vast improvement, and well worth the cost. If Nokia hadn't spoiled me with the 770 in the first place, this thread would probably mostly be a glowing review ;-)

Sounds like we will both be case shopping in the near future.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
You will really enjoy your 810, and I think you are making the right choice. Hopefully my posts haven't been too negative, as I'm trying to be as balanced as possible. The overall performance and stability of the N800/810 is a vast improvement, and well worth the cost. If Nokia hadn't spoiled me with the 770 in the first place, this thread would probably mostly be a glowing review ;-)

Sounds like we will both be case shopping in the near future.
Yes, I have no doubt it will be a better machine. Just you can afford to be a lot more careless with the 770.
I like things with screens to have ways to protect them, like the 770 (or the newtons!)

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Yes, I have no doubt it will be a better machine. Just you can afford to be a lot more careless with the 770.
I like things with screens to have ways to protect them, like the 770 (or the newtons!)
Newtons! :-) I bought the first one of those when it came out, and loved it for a few years. Man, I think the sales receipt was like $1200 for that beast and a couple accessories (crazy). It was SO useful though. It replaced my paper notebooks, contact book, and I used a modem with it for email. I was a consultant, so used it to track all my projects as well. I had a number of clients that basically hired me after they saw me using my Newton in the first meeting (it was pretty Sci-Fi back then). I still have my Newton; but haven't really used it since.

I switched to Palm when the "Palm Pilot" came out. It was a massive step backward for software, but the improvements in portability just killed any hope Newton had.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
That is one of my major complaints with my n800, the surplus old glasses case that it comes with is dangerous to the device, if for no other reason you suspect that since Nokia supplied it that it is useful in some form. Total waste in my opinion. Dumped mine out a number of times before I got smart and tossed it. I will have to say that my n800 seems to have faired rather well from the drops it has taken though :-)!

As for cases, good luck. None of them that I have seen or purchased are really good IMO. Every one of them is at best klunky :-(.

Between the case issue and the lack of accessible hotspots and expensive tethering I've just turned mine into an ebook reader and leave it on the charger. If I need something to test out wifi gear I can haul it out for that.

The 800 might be faster and have better SD card capabilities, but the folks I know with 770s take them with them and seem to feel a lot more secure about doing so.

I think I may have made a mistake in getting the 800 over the 770 :-(. I'm really glad that I didn't get the 810 though, all sorts of peripherals that if you don't like them you end up having to buy external BT stuff anyway.

Still happy to have shirtpocket linux even such as it is :-). It could only be worst with wincrap CE :-).
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.