Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sweden
This application has been around for some time, but I thought I would start a thread here for a general discussion around Squeezster.

What is Squeezster?
It is a Squeezebox remote control for the Nokia N900, N9 and Symbian (Anna & Belle). It connects to the Squeezebox server over the network.
Squeezster is developed in C++ using the QT framework. The GUI for N9 & Symbian is written in QML.

What do I need to use Squeezster?
You need a Nokia phone (N900, N9 or a Symbian phone with Anna or Belle), a Squeezebox server running somewhere and an Internet connection. The N900 version requires a local server, while the N9 & Symbian version also supports www.mysqueezebox.com.

What can Squeezster do?
- It controls (multiple) Squeezebox players connected to a common server. Play, stop, power volume etc.
- It presents the current playlist, song, album, artist and cover art.
- It supports playing music from your local music library, internet radios and streaming services (although only Spotify has been tested by me).
- It supports creation of playlists.

What can't Squeezster do?
- Moving players between different Squeezebox servers.
- Creating sync groups of multiple players (has to be setup by e.g. the web interface)
- and a lot more

Where can I get Squeezster?
It is available from the Extras-testing repository (N900) or Ovi Store (N9 & Symbian).

What's next?
The N900 version is undergoing an update. It will receive the same server communication engine as the N9 & Symbian version. This will enable support for www.mysqueezebox.com etc.
The N9 version will be updated with regards to the larger PR1.2 line spacing.

Screenshots and more are available at http://squeezster.garage.maemo.org

Last edited by pakarlss; 2012-02-28 at 17:52.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pakarlss For This Useful Post:
Hi your app looks great !
Any chance you will support the N9 ?
I just switched last week...

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Sounds good. I hadn't heard of squeezebox before but it sounds interesting. I will be trying it and Squeezster out this evening!

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Originally Posted by limp15000 View Post
Hi your app looks great !
Any chance you will support the N9 ?
I just switched last week...
Thanks!
I don't have access to any N9 device at the moment. If I decide to get one I would definitely go for the N9 support. It would probably just require some UI redesign to port it, since Squeezster is QT based.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
+1 on the N9 support - I'm very tempted to buy one, and I'm looking around for apps to replace what I have on my Palm Pre 2. When/if I get one I'd be very happy to help where I can.

Does this work with the SqueezeNetwork? IE if I had a Squeezebox Radio but no SlimServer can I still use Squeezster with it?

I use Spotify with my Squeezebox Radio almost exclusively. Does the Spotify app work with it? IE can I control Spotify on my Radio with Squeezster?

Spotify and other streaming services work. However, I have only verified Spotify using the 3rd party server plugin. I have the Boom and Receiver devices myself, and they do not support Spotify on their own hardware. It should work on the Radio and Touch devices though.

Using mysqueezebox.com (SqueezeNetwork) as server is on the to-do list, but it isn't supported at the moment.Currently you need to have a local server.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Regarding N9, I'm porting my Squeezecontrol to N9. I just don't really have the time to finish it yet.

pakarlss, I'd love to colaborate instead of having 2 different apps serving the same purpose, but I don't really know any C++ (mine is written in Python).

I think it's a good thought. However, I think it is hard to find a practical way of collaborating, since the two apps are written in different languages. I would be happy though to share thoughts and ideas etc.
I haven't really started any porting, and I haven't got the N9 yet.
What I'm currently doing is to move from the CLI interface, and instead use the Json/cometd interface.

I'm happy to announce that a N9 version of Squeezster is on the way. A beta version will be released very soon.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pakarlss For This Useful Post:
Beta v0.6.5 for Nokia N9 available here:
http://squeezster.garage.maemo.org/deb/

Should be fully working. No known major bugs so far,

Any feedback can be posted in this thread until furter notice,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pakarlss For This Useful Post: