Notices

Yup, I put in my computer IP Address from ipconfig and I can see the mobile interface on the n810.

Only one problem: media indexing isn't working.

From my post above:
I'm adding directories containing video files, and it shows the directories under "Settings">"Scanned directories", but my video files aren't showing up under "Browse" (even when I click "Videos" or click "by path", which shows the folders are added, but when I click on the folders, they are empty). Under "Settings" the "Items in collection" is remaining 0. The videos I'm adding have the extension .avi, which seems to be included in the "Scanned video extensions". Do I have to wait while it indexes or something?

Note that I'm adding files on another partition of my drive, with a different drive letter (in case that affects anything).

whoa. double post somehow.

Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Yup, I put in my computer IP Address from ipconfig and I can see the mobile interface on the n810.

Only one problem: media indexing isn't working.

From my post above:
I'm adding directories containing video files, and it shows the directories under "Settings">"Scanned directories", but my video files aren't showing up under "Browse" (even when I click "Videos" or click "by path", which shows the folders are added, but when I click on the folders, they are empty). Under "Settings" the "Items in collection" is remaining 0. The videos I'm adding have the extension .avi, which seems to be included in the "Scanned video extensions". Do I have to wait while it indexes or something?

Note that I'm adding files on another partition of my drive, with a different drive letter (in case that affects anything).
Please check that VLC and ffmpeg paths are filled under Settings. If not, fill them correctly and press save settings. After that, an "Update collection" button should appear. Press that and it should scan your media.

Be sure to always kill the server with ctrl-c, otherwise you have to use the task manager to kill the vlc.exe it starts.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Working perfectly! Except windows vista doesn't seem to like Ruby.

I get:
Code:
av_interleaved_write_frame(): I/O error occurred
Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted.
./lib/ohash.rb:92: [BUG] object allocation during garbage collection phase
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
and a vista message "Ruby interpreter (CUI) 1.8.6 [i386-mswin32] has stopped working" and a "close program" button. I don't know if this is a error on my system or some incompatibility with vista.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
I'm having trouble adding folders to share media in Windows.

It doesn't let me browse any other drive but C:

How do I do that?

EDIT: Done it. Thanks

PS.: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the initiative. It's the one software I wanted for my N800 =) Easy-peasy transcoding on the fly.

Nokia should be doing this, not you =)))

EDIT: Now it just closes the server whenever I click on 'update my collection'. I also had to install ffmpeg and inform its path manually. Is that supposed to happen? Thanks in advance for the help =)

Last edited by Bobbe; 2009-07-06 at 06:41.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Coruņa, ES
Everything worked fine (sound enabled with mp3 codec selected and video playback) after I rebuilt ffmpeg. I'll post the link I had to follow, which wasn't the one in the Ubuntu wiki. That one came to be some way outdated.

So I have it working, and in the next days I'll be testing it deeply

LINK: Install FFmpeg and x264 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS, valid also for Ubuntu Jaunty

EDIT: If someone happens to read this, I ended up switching to Debian Testing, where everything worked fine with the Debian Multimedia repositories enabled. Although things worked in Ubuntu, regarding to VLC, FFmpeg and Knots, I experienced some terrible performance issues with the Atheros wifi driver.

Last edited by Bulfaiter; 2009-07-15 at 06:31.

Ukki, thanks so much! I have things up and running well using the OS X binary you provided. Is that binary up to date with the current git repository code? It was a very easy and pleasant install.

A few questions and comments:
1) Is it possible to use authentication in the web interface?
2) Is it possible to stream to VLC rather than the embeded FlowPlayer?
3) Is it possible to remove the branding from the FlowPlayer?
4) Path browsing (my preferred method) is very slow. Would it be possible to cache directory structure for faster browsing?
5) Some files and even entire directories are missing when browsing via path. Any idea why?

BTW, I've also updated the wiki page to point to this new version:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots

Thanks again!

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
EDIT: Now it just closes the server whenever I click on 'update my collection'. I also had to install ffmpeg and inform its path manually. Is that supposed to happen? Thanks in advance for the help =)
What version of ruby are you using? ruby186-27_rc2.exe (the latest from http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167) would cause crashes. Downgraded to ruby186-26_rc1.exe and Knots has been very stable.

Originally Posted by sofauxboho View Post
Ukki, thanks so much! I have things up and running well using the OS X binary you provided. Is that binary up to date with the current git repository code? It was a very easy and pleasant install.

A few questions and comments:
1) Is it possible to use authentication in the web interface?
2) Is it possible to stream to VLC rather than the embeded FlowPlayer?
3) Is it possible to remove the branding from the FlowPlayer?
4) Path browsing (my preferred method) is very slow. Would it be possible to cache directory structure for faster browsing?
5) Some files and even entire directories are missing when browsing via path. Any idea why?

BTW, I've also updated the wiki page to point to this new version:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots

Thanks again!
Yes, it's up to date. It's all a moving target, but I thought I'd release it now and see if there's any interest for it. It's again in works for me state and the partial Windows support was just a bonus because it didn't require too many changes (but the installation isn't the easiest because of the extra gems you need to install). Maybe someone with Windows could join the project to make the support better?

Few comments

1. Yes, but client doesn't work if you enable ssl and auth, so you need to restart the server without it if you want to use it locally. If you enable ssl and add a user, you can access your collection from the internet too. Adding users has no gui, but you can do it from the terminal, but it seems I left it out from the "binary" If you need this feature, you can grab the nix package and use that instead:

Code:
cd knots
./scripts/user add username password
./scripts/setup webrick_ssl 1
./knots.rb
But beware that you also need to forward port 19780 for one stream. Every stream needs a port after that so if you want to be able to view for example 3 streams, you need 19780-19783. But vlc streams are not authed so it's not 100 % secure in that sense.

2. It all depends on your setup. You can use passthrough profile for transcode free playback, but it uses the embed tag so I've no idea what each os wants to use for playback This is probably a feature I should work on.

3. Removing Flowplayer branding requires a license I guess

4 and 5. I'm using not so optimal way to page the results (works with all, but at cost) so it may be a little slow. Browsing by path is actually using the database so it leaves out paths that don't have scanned media.

Like I said, it's pretty rough around the edges, but it's been quite a huge task to make. It's now pretty usable, but if there's interest, I'll try to work on it more. And anyone is welcome to join the project, documenters, web designers and testers would be highly valuable

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
Yes, you need to use the Switch to dir button and set a different drive manually. ffmpeg.exe comes with the server and it seemed to work ok with xp. So if your knots folder is on c:\, use c:/knots/win32/ffmpeg.exe as the path. If you got win32-popen3 installed, it should work. But I don't have Vista so I can't be sure if it needs additional gems. But I've seen Knots work on Vista so it should be possible Anyone got it working ok with Vista?

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video