Active Topics

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Munich
All,

my new device is an HTC Desire running on Android 2.1 / HTC Sense and I won't switch back to the N900 (even though I still do think it is a great device and this is a great community).

Why?

When I first saw the specs of the N900 mid 2009 it looked to me like both a thouroughly engineered mobile phone/tablet platform and a perfect business tool.

And even though I was turned down by Nokia Store's missing abilty to handle international credit card transactions (which automatically discarded my order from the waiting list at the very end of the waiting period) I eagerly managed to get hold of the N900 pretty early after its public availability.

What I got then was an almost perfectly engineered device. Kudos to the responsible hardware designers @ Nokia. Great job.

The software side of the device, however, was by far not as bright. Even though I am into Unix and Linux since more than 25 years now after 6 months of usage of the N900 as my single phone / tablet device I could not longer effort e.g.
  • to be without a mobile phone after unforseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day
  • to wait for necessary prio 0 bug fixes for months
  • to do all the necessary micro-tweaking of the device
  • to wait for the Ovi Store to contain meaningful apps for the N900
  • to be a guinea pig for Nokia's market research
  • to wait for Nokia to come up with any kind of statement of direction / roadmap for the N900 / Maemo / MeeGo
  • to wait for Nokia to come up with a plan how to re-invent itself after it's n+1st business reorganization
  • to be without a mobile phone after unforseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day
  • tbc ...

Am I feeding the trolls? Not at all. Nokia had every chance but ...

Where are you going to?

Last edited by Uwe; 2010-05-14 at 22:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uwe For This Useful Post:
Put thread in competitors maybe?

Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
Where are you going to?
No where. Why do I have to be going somewhere?

Why do you have to ask a loaded question?

A better one would be "Are you happy with the N900?" .. but I know there's a thread already with nearly that exact title. It's a poll too.

There's also threads nearly identical to this one.. like this.

ETA: Ah hah, Found it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Thread score: Two out of ten.

Excessive incoherence.

Use of "emotionless" too creative.

Points one and eight identical.

You may rewrite and resubmit for passing grade.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-14 at 22:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Munich
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Thread score: Two out of ten.
By what measure?

Excessive incoherence.
I know.

Use of "emotionless" too creative.
Thanks.

Points one and eight identical.
By intention.

You may rewrite and resubmit for passing grade.
You may want to recognize that I spent some effort to explain my use case. Flaming /w out explanation is just too blunt.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
All,

my new device is an HTC Desire running on Android 2.1 / HTC Sense and I won't switch back to the N900 (even though I still do think it is a great device and this is a great community).

Why?

When I first saw the specs of the N900 mid 2009 it looked to me like both a thouroughly engineered mobile phone/tablet platform and a perfect business tool.

And even though I was turned down by Nokia Store's missing abilty to handle international credit card transactions (which automatically discarded my order from the waiting list at the very end of the waiting period) I eagerly managed to get hold of the N900 pretty early after its public availability.

What I got then was an almost perfectly engineered device. Kudos to the responsible hardware designers @ Nokia. Great job.

The software side of the device, however, was by far not as bright. Even though I am into Unix and Linux since more than 25 years now after 6 months of usage of the N900 as my single phone / tablet device I could not longer effort e.g.
  • to wait for necessary prio 0 bug fixes for months
  • to do all the necessary micro-tweaking of the device
  • to wait for the Ovi Store to contain meaningful apps for the N900
  • to be a guinea pig for Nokia's market research
  • to wait for Nokia to come up with any kind of statement of direction / roadmap for the N900 / Maemo / MeeGo
  • to wait for Nokia to come up with a plan how to re-invent itself after it's n+1st business reorganization
  • tbc ...

Am I feeding the trolls? Not at all. Nokia had every chance but ...

Where are you going to?
Desire?
I'll make you cry when my Evo arrives!

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
Probably got shares in Apple or Google.

(even though I still do think it is a great device and this is a great community)

Surely a case of damning with faint praise.

Anyone who don't love the n900, is not a time served geek, just a nerd with their hand in the till.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dollyknot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Maybe a Nokia MeeGo device, and only of my n900 is broken or completely ou of date. I Could also imagine a HTC with android, but only in a few years.

I think we've had similar threads before, HTC usually comes up close to the top. My next handset will almost certainly be Android, and if i could afford to change handset I'd definitely be in the HTC Desire boat by now. Money's tight at the moment so the n900 will keep me company for the meantime.

However there's a chance I'll be able to get one from work soon which would be pure win ofcourse, ie. business phone, no cost to me. I work for a mobile application company here in the UK and last week the company took the decision to drop Symbian and bring in more Android projects, we'll be moving forward focusing on Iphone and Android development. Some great Android handsets coming out in the next few months too so timing couldnt be better

Can't we just merge this with one of the other "I don't like my N900 and I must tell all of you" threads that gets made on a daily basis?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
whining, worst thread