Active Topics

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Performance will not be solely about UI.
I wasn't talking about the performance... he's complaining about the MeeGo phone UI, saying it looks like Windows Phone 7.. and that's not Nokia's UI..

EDIT: .. and woah 10,000+ posts! lol..

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Actually, I don't care about MeeGo.

If it will be good enough, I'll use it.
If not, I'll stick to Maemo 5. The applications will be compatible across them, so no problems here.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
android seems to be ravishing the market so quickly 2.1 android is simply kick ***. they have taken great innovative ideas and made a somewhat closed product that just works. maemo is far more powerful but we will never know now..
Just imagine what Maemo could have become if Nokia invested the time they put in MeeGo to make the Maemo more friendly to non-geeks. If they implemented all the basic phone features (voice dialing, mms etc). Right now n900 is a geek pocket computer with build in basic phone - just the way I like it - but my wife (not a geek) hates it (the phone she has, a cheap Samsung I think, does everything a modern phone should do and has some GPS application on it too). I don't believe is hard for Nokia to implement those features to make it more popular to the people who use a phone to just talk/sms and want to have a phone who looks cool.
Anyway, I for one, love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I wasn't talking about the performance... he's complaining about the MeeGo phone UI, saying it looks like Windows Phone 7.. and that's not Nokia's UI.
He was also complaining about performance. Maybe if you had just quoted specifics...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
I like the idea of MeeGo, having one OS on multiple platforms... including TVs, but I'm happy with Maemo on my N900. I hope they'll keep developing Maemo for a while, at least until MeeGo is a mature alternative.
Yes, I feel the same way the "IDEA" of Meego is great but the reality is looking pretty lame.

Maemo is perfect touch screen tablets and smart phones and Moblin would be cool for your TV but it feels like Intel is the big dog in the room.

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-05-04 at 23:10.

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
Just imagine what Maemo could have become if Nokia invested the time they put in MeeGo to make the Maemo more friendly to non-geeks.
The time and money Nokia was investing in Maemo was likely the reason that they didn't make it more friendly. A move to MeeGo allows Nokia to more finely focus their resources, away from maintaining an entire distribution and more towards interfaces. I suspect that Nokia's first MeeGo based device will have a better "phone" experience than Maemo.

Right now n900 is a geek pocket computer with build in basic phone - just the way I like it
Which was exactly how it was targeted. Anyone who assumed it was supposed to be a smartphone or an iPhone competitor didn't pay enough attention to what came before it.

I don't believe is hard for Nokia to implement those features to make it more popular to the people who use a phone to just talk/sms and want to have a phone who looks cool.
They do, and they're significantly cheaper. The N900 is complex because its audience wants such complexity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
mrebanza, i agree with you in 100%. Really don't know why everybody is getting that excited about meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to LippiVan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Performance will not be solely about UI.
I agree completely but the UI determines the user experience and I get the feeling the Maemo's fast snappy UI is going to die inorder to fix Intel's mistakes and to improve on Moblin's performance and we will be left with a product that is as fast as Maemo but looks like Moblin.

And if that was what the N900 was I wouldn't have purchased one.

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Cutting the reply short - Quite lucky you don't have to have it - Just Keep Maemo for now - Judge Meego when you see it running on the device, and once it has matured
and your right we are the lucky ones who get to keep Maemo 5 if we want -

I guess we will have to wait and see - but I would LOVE to see company like Canonical (people behind the Ubuntu Linux Desktop OS) pick up Mer and continue developing it for smart-phones and/or Tablet PC's

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
...recently quite a few screen shots and videos have been released by Intel and this ISNT MAEMO it is MOBLIN!
While reference UIs for handheld and netbook devices are being constructed by the MeeGo project, and even a few reference applications built, they're not intended for shipping devices. Instead, they are starting points for vendors to build their own, custom user interfaces and applications on MeeGo.

So, you're seeing that Intel hasn't yet moved the reference MeeGo netbook UX much beyond what they had built for Moblin. Given the short time that has passed since the MeeGo announcement, I don't find that surprising.

Now here is a screenshot of the Meego cell phone UI - WTF IS THIS?
It may be part of the MeeGo reference user experience for handhelds. However, it likely has little to do with Harmattan, if that's your concern. Nokia isn't going to ship the reference MeeGo handheld UX on any devices, and they're not going to give away Harmattan's UX and applications to competitors.

The MeeGo website has some pages on architecture that include explanations of the reference UX plans. You may want to take a look at them.

EDIT: MeeGo Architecture

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-04-20 at 20:43. Reason: adding link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I have reservations as I feel maemo 5 with just a tweak or two would have been perfect for a mobile and as it is (with perhaps a better onscreen keyboard) probably a perfect slate OS. Nokia would have to do very little to get me to purchase a 7 inch tablet running Maemo5.
I'm taking a wait and see stance, but there is no doubt that having two monsters like Nokia and Intel and the Linux foundation backing will make it that Meego will see success in some segment of the market.

Tags
maemo, meego