Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
the service/community which allows people to share wifi is Fon http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon

The other option is signing up for a commercial service which allows use of wifi hotspots

Or you could buy aN810WE and move to somewhere with Wimax (asssuming you don't live there now of course)

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Florida
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
the service/community which allows people to share wifi is Fon http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon

The other option is signing up for a commercial service which allows use of wifi hotspots

Or you could buy aN810WE and move to somewhere with Wimax (asssuming you don't live there now of course)

that sounds cool but also sounds like it may violate the tos agreement with your isp

im on this map lookin for fonzies and they're few and far between

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Have you checked out Clearwire?
Aside from cellular, that's about the best option.
It all depends on where you live. I believe Wimax is still active (right, folks?).
At the bottom end, you could try Boostmobile, for $40 a year.
You get to tether to a 19KB network connection. Probably not fast enough for VOIP.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
As I have expressed before, my personal views on WiFi "stealing" is that you should only steal if you have to.

Example: I forget my friends address. I drive around his neighborhood, find a unlocked WiFi, go on facebook, find his address, and close the connection. If anyone wanted to "steal" my internet to do this, I would not care.

However, "stealing" internet to make VOIP calls and stuff is kinda pushing it.

Trying to use WiFi in a moving car hoping to find open access points is futile. Get a cheap prepaid phone. I only pay $100 per YEAR for my 1000 minute service. That is like $8 a month, and no contract.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
How can you steal it when the owner is willingly broadcasting it? It's not nearly the same thing as walking into their house...more like going through their garbage.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
..owner is willingly broadcasting..
Actually, I think it's more like "unwittingly" broadcasting.

Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
Actually, I think it's more like "unwittingly" broadcasting.
that may or may not be true...I have an open wifi point for anyone to use named....wait for it....NETGEAR.

I guess my point is, if it's unencrypted and broadcasting there should be no legal ramifications for attaching.

Originally Posted by sunnydips View Post
if a man doesn't know that hes holding a megaphone and i can hear his conversation then how am i at fault?
It's even more innocuous than that...unless you're sniffing the traffic.

tbh i think the average internet user knows & doesn't care... i know my wifi secure but thats because i care. common sense has to tell them that if they can connect without password then others can too.