http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/n...lt&news_id=269

One of my forum members posted this today. Looks really interesting, but it's got sucky WinCE on it. Was wondering if there's a way to put Maemo OS2008 on it instead, and make it actually usable. ^_^;;

It has an Arm processor, so I suspect that wouldn't be too difficult.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, swivel camera and a out of the box dock with speakers...

this thing could probably replace a web terminal for some.

i wonder if one could stuff a ethernet-to-usb into that dock and expect it to work...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
It has an Arm processor, so I suspect that wouldn't be too difficult.
It doesn't matter much what CPU it uses as long as linux kernel is ported to such architecture. Then it is equally difficult as any other currently unsupported piece of hardware. You need full hardware specification and programing info (or do a lot of reverse engineering) and then you need plenty of time (several man/months or possibly man/years). Did you expect any other answer?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
it is somewhat larger, so it is not so portable. I am also wondering how long would the battery last. it will also be nice if one can load one or two linux dist. on it.

Well, I'm not expecting a lot from it, but it was an interesting enough design to be worth looking into. Hence why I asked what I did. I'm kinda fishing more than actually diving in to do anything. My expertise lies in user experience (UI design mostly), not kernel or OS hacking, so I'm not totally familiar with all the intricacies required to "hack" the OS to make it work in different hardware. Hence why I was asking here about it.

Well, I'm not expecting a lot from it, but it was an interesting enough design to be worth looking into. Hence why I asked what I did. I'm kinda fishing more than actually diving in to do anything. My expertise lies in user experience (UI design mostly), not kernel or OS hacking, so I'm not totally familiar with all the intricacies required to "hack" the OS to make it work in different hardware. Hence why I was asking here about it.
Welcone to Internet Tablet Talk :-)

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
hey!

look closely at the design for their stylus!!!!

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
looks identical to my acer n311's stylus.

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well, I'm not expecting a lot from it, but it was an interesting enough design to be worth looking into.
To get better picture take a look at this page
http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.c...andheldSummary
This is status of porting linux kernel to many devices currently running Windows CE, PalmOS or any other 'foreign' operating system. Most/all of them have Arm CPU. Most of those projects take months or years to complete and quite a lot of them is never completed before device is outdated. Most of the work is in writing device drivers for specific hardware inside. Once all hardware inside is supported by kernel then you can start to tweak Maemo to support different or extra hardware (different screen resolution, more buttons, ...)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I've had what they call a "a-" performance. (installed linux on my old hp3650):
the system does work... BUT:
1- the processor it only 206 mhz, so everything was slower...
2- the battery drain was incredible - about 3x what windows 2002 took!

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!