I finally posted my pictures and videos to the thread on the main page. Here's a direct link as well
http://share.ovi.com/channel/jackburton.public

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Here are some pics of two cases for the N800 that attach to a belt by loop. The first three are of the HP Jornada case on Overstock ($5 + $3 shipping).

The N800 slips in perfectly, with just a little resistance (which is a positive). The N800 is a little too tall for the pouch, so it looks a little dorky but it still fastens securely (though not at an anti-theft level of "securely"). It sits on my belt just right. It's comfortable both sitting and walking.

If I choose to take it traveling, I might sew an extra strip onto the flap that will hang down the front and velcro-seal at the bottom back. As has been pointed out before, the case is leather and high-quality. The belt loop swivels, but I see neither advantage nor harm in that. The loop isn't really a loop, as only the top of the loop is attached to the case; so you can put it on without taking off your belt, but it would be practically impossible for someone else to take it off of you. (In fact, it's very hard to take it off yourself without unbuckling your belt.)

[IMG][/IMG]

On my recent trip to Egypt, I didn't yet have the HP case. I discovered at the last second that this little zippered case I'd bought for 2 euros on the streets of Rome fit my N800 and was very secure. It was a little too tight, making it a minor hassle to get it in and out. I'm not sure which case I'll take next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Is the n800 the same size, bigger or smaller than the n810?

slightly bigger

Ah, sweet. So then the n810 would fit in there very well. Coolness.

EDIT: I just realized something. You mentioned that it doesn't fit right in an "Anti-theft" way. Ya know, if that were really a concern, since it's leather, it wouldn't take much to modify the case to put a simple two part plastic clasp on it to stop someone from just flipping up the cover and walking off with it. Sure, it kills your quick draw capabilities, but if you don't need them at that moment, then that's not a problem.

I'm mostly thinking about a clip like what's on this pouch:

http://www.copquest.com/45-8985.jpg

It would really be little more than a simple bit of sewing to add it to the pouch, and wouldn't impact the performance of the pouch one bit.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2009-03-22 at 03:44.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Does anyone have their OEM sleeve for their N810 that they would be willing to part with? I have found what appears to be the best combination for me. I found a Case Logic Graphing Calculator case, which has plenty of room for my BT keyboard, the USB cable and a pouch with headphones and spare keyboard batteries. Its not a good tactical case, I am still searching for that, preferably with a belt clip, but it does make a good "carry the tablet and all its associated stuff" case.

The top flap has two elastic bands which is perfect for my NIT. However, I have misplaced the OEM sleeve, and I would love to replace it until I find that perfect tactical case.

Since folks have been finding alternative accomodations for their tablets, I'm hoping some kind soul will have one that they don't need.

Thanks,
--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2009-03-22 at 23:46.

Hmm, interesting, but not belt mountable, which is what I'm after. Oddly though, I talked with my dad and he says that it wouldn't be hard at all to add one of these to the Jornada Case that GeraldKo posted to make that pouch both quick draw capable, as well as securable for travel to prevent someone lifting your NIT. One of the local shoe repair places around here that works with leather should be able to stick one on pretty easily.

And you wouldn't need it fastened all the time. Just when you wanted to secure the tablet in the pouch. Otherwise you leave it unlocked and the pouch retains it's "quick draw" functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
>>The belt loop swivels, but I see neither advantage nor harm in that.<<

It's definitely an advantage, as you can hang the case in different angles (e.g. when sitting).

BTW the Jornada case fits N810 perfectly, like a custom-made accessory.

>>The loop isn't really a loop, as only the top of the loop is attached to the case<<

It is a loop--somehow the bottom also attaches to the belt after you put it on. GeraldKo is right: I have difficulty taking it off every time.

Hey, was out hunting for some cases and stumbled onto a couple others of the right size worth considering over at Overstock.

iPhone suede pouch (black) - $7.99

iPhone suede pouch (gray) - $7.99

Casio Leather Case for Exilim Digital Cameras - $25.99 (a little bit large and pricey, but made of heavy duty leather and very durable.)

I don't know if anyone else needs any cases for their stuff, but there's a couple extras. The two iPhone suede cases are not the belt kind, but rather are highly similar to the stock Nokia case that comes with the n810. In fact, they're almost the exact same dimensions.

For those that got the Jornada case, here's an example of how you can secure the case for travel. I recently bought three of these cases, and then went down to a local leather repair place with one of them and got a plastic snap latch attached to it as pictured above. Works pretty darned good. I've still got the other two pouches for daily use, but this one is now my travel pouch.

Sure, someone determined enough could still get in and get your NIT, but they're gonna have to work an awful lot harder to get in. The whole mod took the guy about 20 minutes and cost me $5 for parts and labor. It's well worth it if you want to go with the Jornada case and want piece of mine while traveling and carrying your NIT.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post: