I am thing or purchasing the nokia n810, but pan on using it for business purposes. I need to be able to connect to client pcs and my servers via desktop connection and do not want to use a vnc program.

Has anyone been able to connect using the desktop connection?

Also, does the software that is provided with the tablet pc have the capability to use MS office/open office? I do a lot of access and vb programming.

Thanks.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by ThingKing View Post
I am thing or purchasing the nokia n810, but pan on using it for business purposes. I need to be able to connect to client pcs and my servers via desktop connection and do not want to use a vnc program.

Has anyone been able to connect using the desktop connection?

Also, does the software that is provided with the tablet pc have the capability to use MS office/open office? I do a lot of access and vb programming.

Thanks.
There is a remote desktop connection program, and the software provided does not allow MS Office or Open Office but I be leave if you use Easy Debian you can use Open Office.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
You did not say rDesktop, so I'd like to add there is also x over ssh.

There is also abiword for maemo.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Connection to Windows XP under the Virtualbox via integrated RDP is working quite well.

I use rDesktop all the time with my old N800 and it works like a charm.

You can read MS Excel and Word documents in Maemo using third party software, like Abiword.

The Following User Says Thank You to amigokin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
On the n810 keyboard, what's the equivalent of Ctrl-Esc (Win)?
What about right-click?
I've seen posts talking about virtual keyboards such as http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/
Is that what most people do?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Well, there is a control key and an escape key on the tablet!

For right click, I heard the newest version of rDesktop has it built in, but I run a little software on my computer that maps the "+ and -" buttons to right and double click.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
*shameless plug for pyrdesktop*

And... it's true, the rdesktop included with pyrdesktop does have right click built-in. Just put the mouse where you want it, and press the "menu" key to bring up the right click menu. I've ended up using a script for press-and-hold right click in windows, though. Overall, rdesktop actually works pretty well on my tablet.

Thanks to all. I have downloaded and installed the ryrdesktop, but nothing happens when I select it from the menu.

Any ideas?

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
NOTHING happens? Strange... Are you running chinook or diablo? Can you open the terminal and run:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/rdesktop.py
and post the output?