Is there any way to read .lit format files on the N800?

Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ New Jersey, USA
I haven't used it, but I have heard others suggest converting LIT to other readable formats (pdf, html, etc) with ABC Amber Lit Converter, a freeware program.

You can find it at http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html

Linux users will have to use Convert lit, search the forums. The way I do it is convert the lit files and then add them to a zip file and rename the zip as oebzip. You can load this file in FBreader, works like a charm.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
As a personal addendum: I found that the PDB format gives better results than the FB2, when converting LITs.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I wonder if fbreader could include lit in some future release. Maybe we should ask the developer very nicely about it?

There is actually a discussion on the fbreader site about this. They won't include it, because .lit is not an open format. I guess legally it would be acceptable to modify fbreader in such a way that when opening a lit file, it actually uses convertlit in a temporary directory to extract the lit file and then opens the extracted files in fbreader, however the developers seem somehow reluctant to do this. It is a shame, but the view of the developers is acceptable (to me at least).

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I wonder if fbreader could include lit in some future release. Maybe we should ask the developer very nicely about it?
Please check Issue#16 or for the details.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Fadsjeik View Post
There is actually a discussion on the fbreader site about this. They won't include it, because .lit is not an open format. I guess legally it would be acceptable to modify fbreader in such a way that when opening a lit file, it actually uses convertlit in a temporary directory to extract the lit file and then opens the extracted files in fbreader, however the developers seem somehow reluctant to do this. It is a shame, but the view of the developers is acceptable (to me at least).
Probably such a generic "format" processor could be added at some point of time. I'm afraid this is not in the short term to-do list

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I can undestand the problems. Perhaps the convert lit approach would be the only viable alternative then, but otoh, that way users should be able to use it themselves as well. Thanks for the clarification on the legal issues.