Notices

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I am more looking for a file or api where I can grab the "turn left 50m" or whatever that I could convert to text for GPS. There are apps which can use direct GPS input as well as communicate over the 'net but I am trying to stick with the same protocol being used for SMS displays.
Ah ok now I understand than you need to look into the source code of the application of your choice and modify it. I don't think that there is a navigation software with such an api you looking for.

If you are interested on how to read gps data through some api, this could be useful:

PyMaemo/Using Location API

Python bindings for Qt Mobility APIs

Qt Mobility 1.2: Location API

liblocation API documentation

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Just something interesting and already python that might allow a bit more function with an already built watch app.
https://github.com/susundberg/pebble-linux-remote
I am actually not sure what function would be useful with this watch app and to splice the python server side stuff into maebble but it allows shell commands to be fired off from the server.
Ideas what to do with it are welcome.
here are some examples though
Code:
Example config:

[main]
transport = bluetooth  ; Either 'bluetooth' or 'websocket'
device = /dev/rfcomm0  ; bluetooth transport
;device = ws://192.168.0.1:9000/  ; websocket transport -- enable developer connection on your phone!
uuid = 7f1742c48dc94bb7ac8b309faf58985a

[commands]
UP,SINGLE = xdotool key Page_Up ; Emulate page down key press event -- apt-get install xdotool
DOWN,SINGLE = xdotool key Page_Down  ; Emulate page down key press event
UP,LONG = espeak "DO A BARREL ROLL!"  ; apt-get install espeak to get sound out!
DOWN,LONG = espeak "You pressed DOWN with LONG"

; Enabling the double click will make single click register slower, since pebble must wait
; for the other click.
; UP,MULTI= espeak "DO A BARREL ROLL!"
; DOWN,MULTI = espeak "Noup! Its chuck tesla"
SELECT,MULTI = espeak "TROLOLOLOLOLOLO"

SELECT,SINGLE = espeak "Problem officer"
SELECT,LONG = xdotool key ctrl+alt+l ; Lock the screen by pressing ctrl+alt+l

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Off Topic(for Maemo) Partly on topic for thread participants.
Just a bit of note for our pebbles which are getting older.
Your battery is probably dying by now, you are likely only getting a day or so out of a charge.
Replacing a battery is actually pretty easy if you are experienced with soldering but you might be worried by the kapton ribbon connecting the battery. This is for the post-Kickstarter Pebble Classics (mine is a MODEL:301BL, Hardware=V3R2) with screws holding on the back not the glue-back watches. Assumes you have been managing your firmwares and apps with an android device running gadgetbridge and you have a good backup of your apks etc.
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MS964scQI
look at this
https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/pro...28347b56bdf654

Pre-Op
1 - clean pebble and power down
2-(optional) remove band
3-remove and safely store screws in a safe container(or you will be sorry)

Surgery and Soldering(risky, read several times and view Youtube videos)
4-*PAUSE!! Read removing back instructions 3x before proceeding
4.5- gently pop back until it is disengaged ONLY, there will be wires to the vibrator you might tear if it is attached to the case-back; the foam tabp holding it to the system board goes soft and separates.
5-insert a plastic pry tool to un-stick the vibrator from the case back
6-set the case back aside in a safe container
7-use a plastic tool to carefully remove the module containing the watch innards(there are Youtube videos for this)
8-unplug data plug ribbon at bottom of watch innards
9-snip battery ribbon
10- the ribbon has + and - markings, photograph or sketch,
11-unsolder and remove remaining ribbon throw out old battery
12-run the power wire under the plastic frame separator(YOU CAN'T REASSEMBLE IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP)
13-solder new battery down(BE SURE POLARITY IS CORRECT!!!)
*the positive or red wire goes to your left hand side near a silver surface mount component the black negative wire is towards your right hand if the battery solder pads are nearest to you.*
14-be sure the rubber LCD(screen) connector is inserted properly into the space in the inner module
15-verify the vibrator is connected to the solder pads and is on it's spot
16-be sure the kapton circuit ribbon that overlaps the edge of the board area all the way to your left hand from the vibrator contacts the gold bluetooth antenna connector spring(if not you will get ghost button movements, I suspect it is a pull down circuit, if you break off the spring trying to flex it some careful solder and flux works, just don't solder over the gold contact on top)
17-snap back down(if you like replace screws now or later)

Post-Op
18-attach charger cable and begin charging pebble(it will show the pebble.com/app thing as it has been factory reset when battery was disconnected(there is no app or pebble.com anymore but you can use rebble.com if you like)
19-use an android device to connect using gadgetbridge if you are a FOSS and privacy person
20-flash the recommended transition and regular firmwares instructions and files here https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Ga...rmware-updates
21-finish charging, if everything is good including the vibration you can put your screws in now.
22-click on all of your watchfaces and apps in gadgetbridge to be sure they are uploaded with settings updated, some wont come over at first
23-disconnect and shut down Gadgetbridge device
24-connect and use with your N900 as before

I have found that exercising the buttons and a series of gentle smacks of the watch against some soft pine; the side corners, back, and front as required can bring back your pebble from the screen tearing issue. You can go to a watch shop to do a waterproofing test but mine has always sealed properly after snapping on the back.

It is really nice to not see my battery charge drop to 50% after a only few hours.

FINDING A REPLACEMENT BATTERY
My Pebble came with a Fullriver 3.7v 130ma/h 402222 battery which means 4mm thick and a 22x22mm square battery I found a random auction site 402020 3.7v 130ma/h battery and only lost a few mm size, we will see if it lasts as long at the Fullriver battery.
Remember this size number trick and you can keep your bluetooth clips, MP3s, smart watches, and other gadgets with Li-ion cells running for as long as you can find your size.
(edit)
END RESULTS
I wonder if I damaged the wrap around kapton circuit board which has the buttons and charge points attached.
The top left button was firing at random for about three days and then went dead.
The screen tearing is now making the watch unusable.
I should have padded down the battery as it now rattles.
I think I was over aggressive at tightening the bottom screws as I broke the holes on the cover, it is possible the 'gentle' bumping against wood contributed as well, now can't correct the tearing though I repaired the holes on the cover with acetone melted ABS 3d printer filament.
I wonder if I was too hurried as I wanted a full battery life for a several day meeting and did not budget enough time.
I will look for a good compressable pad to push down the ribbon connector, battery, and elastomere 'rubber' screen connection.

Last edited by biketool; 2019-11-10 at 08:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Good info! Just bought a new used one from eBay. As mine old didn't have the screws on the back and had tearing. The news one had tearing pretty quickly, so I took it apart and added some extra paper.

Unfortunately the sellers fix didn't work long. They add double sticky foam which was a pain to deal with and also pull the screen plug out! Luckly I had some soft rubber parts I could cut from, the rubber I'm hoping will retain it's shape longer which should keep more pressure on the zebra strip. Seem like it should still be water resistant ... but who know till it's too late.

x

Off topic for Maebble but tech help pebble users from 2020 on can refer to...
Maemo users keep using old good hardware when there is no replacement available, Pebble users too

the all DIY way if you don't have a way to get a new zebra strip rubber connector replacement(it is the dangerous way to go) but you can do it immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=n7JBmktquUs
https://www.reddit.com/r/pebble/comm...n_tearing_fix/
https://imgur.com/a/50Q7JXx
it requires cutting to size but being extra thick is to your advantage.
I also found that if you get the flip/flop every second or so PEBBLE and the power charge screen you will never charge, just hold down a button until you get the stuck key hex error and let it charge for 20 min or so, then they hloding the top left and right buttons and the middle button and it should boot into recovery.

Last edited by biketool; 2019-12-20 at 12:44.

Another nice tool(requires an android running gadgetbridge, or official client until we get the libpebble install apps/watchfaces function in maebble) is the DIY watchface maker.
http://www.watchface-generator.de/
It is an easy watchface maker tool that you can use at the website or go to the github and run locally.
Now you can have your favorite meme or design a most functional watchface for yourself. Analog or digital with date, an image battery and bluetooth status ets, super customizable.
Here is an example I threw together:
http://www.wf-g.de/wf/20200315/n900_and_pebble/
Have fun!

Btw, I wound up buying the zebra strips. I had to trim about about 1/4 of it down, as it was leaving a slight gap between the body and back cover ... so would most likely fail under a very low water pressure. After the zebra fix absolutely no more issues!!!

Also, I remember that site . Here is mine http://www.wf-g.de/wf/20200315/largelysimple/

x

Last edited by xman; 2020-03-15 at 18:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I also bought zebra strips, I have not had much tearing on the replacement Pebble. I am assuming maybe an extra .5mm and cut them with a razor blade and straight edge.
I will probably do it when the discharge rate demands a new battery so I am keeping the zebra strips together with the replacement cells for when I start cracking open cases.

Biketool, thanks again for putting together the scripts and info ... to use pebble.desktop as an app.

Just got it running (part of a longterm list), and it so great not to have to do it manually.

Sharing the icon I found and modified for my icon. Got it from here

x
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Maebble v0.91 working install w/added biketool hacks including
-daylight savings/timezone hack
-app launcher
-desktop launcher

0-search out and delete all maebble files and directories which might mess with your install
find / -name maebble*

1-download maebble v0.91
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuj75423sc...0.92b.zip?dl=0

2- edit meabble.cfg on your computer to include your Pebble's mac address and change OSCP from True to False

3- use my post above
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=89
to create desktop and /usr/bin/pebble launchers; the launcher script above includes commands to use the proper config file and to leave a window open so you can kill the daemon as well as read diagnostics when running(install openwatch so your desktop file has an icon)

3.5- (Optional)apply daylight savings/traveler timezone hacks to the settings.py as per https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=89

4- transfer files to /home/user/MyDocs/Maebble

5- make a copy of Maebble.cfg in /home/user/.comfig/maebble

6-Pair your Pebble in bluetooth

7- launch from applications or make and use a desktop shortcut

Try this and report any errors to this thread, not documenting is whay these hack installs always get so long and woky remembering how we hacked it together.
Hi Bike tool- I had another go at this with a spare pebble time round, latest Firmware. I coped all the files and they seem to be at the right locations, i have the correct desktop icon so that worked out i guess. Pressing the desktop icon nothing appears to happen at all? running python maebble.py manually reports:-

Nokia-N900:/home/user/MyDocs/Maebble# python maebbled.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "maebbled.py", line 34, in <module>
import bluetooth
ImportError: No module named bluetooth

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong.
Thx

Tags
pebble time, smart watch