Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england, u.k.
i have just installed app locker from the appmanager downloader section on my n900. i tried to lock my apps and then exited the app after locking and double checking my password. it then locked out all my apps so i uninstalled it and it took my apps that i locked with it one of them being my app manager. PLEASE HELP HOW CAN I RETURN MY PHONE TO TGHE STATE IT WAS BEFOR E I INSTALLED THIS APP

Last edited by doctorpaul; 2010-10-22 at 18:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to doctorpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If I recall correctly, it renames your .desktop files. Open X-Terminal - use the Shift+Ctrl+X key combination to get it to open if you lost your N900 shortcut too.

Then type:

Code:
cd /usr/share/applications/hildon
This will take you to where the .desktop files are stored. Type

Code:
ls
This should show you a list of files, all of which are (name of some app).desktop. Now, what you are probably going to see is ".desktop1" instead. Or something along those lines. That's how App Locker hides apps. Renames the .desktop files you lock to .desktop1, so the Hildon Menu doesn't know to read them.

Now, if you have another file manager, such as Midnight Commander, FileBox or Cute Explorer, you can open that from the command line and rename all your files that way. IF you do not, you will need to rename all of the files from the command line (or connect to wifi and download one of those file managers from the command line). To do this, you will need to do this for every file (replace "(filename)" with each individual file's name - yes it's a lot of typing, but life's a ***** like that):

Code:
mv (filename).desktop1 (filename).desktop
So, for, say, ApMeFo.desktop1, you type "mv ApMeFo.desktop1 ApMeFo.desktop". And so on and so on.

- Edit -

For the sake of full information I want to say that there is probably some way to rename all of the files in one command, just renaming the .desktop1 .desktop parts of each file... But the point is I don't actually know how to do it yet. I was experimenting with "mv *.blahblah *.blahblah1" just now and getting errors. And I don't know the nuances of the available shells well enough.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-10-22 at 23:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
If I recall correctly, it renames your .desktop files. Open X-Terminal - use the Shift+Ctrl+X key combination to get it to open if you lost your N900 shortcut too.

Then type:

Code:
cd /usr/share/applications/hildon
This will take you to where the .desktop files are stored. Type

Code:
ls
This should show you a list of files, all of which are (name of some app).desktop. Now, what you are probably going to see is ".desktop1" instead. Or something along those lines. That's how App Locker hides apps. Renames the .desktop files you lock to .desktop1, so the Hildon Menu doesn't know to read them.

Now, if you have another file manager, such as Midnight Commander, FileBox or Cute Explorer, you can open that from the command line and rename all your files that way. IF you do not, you will need to rename all of the files from the command line (or connect to wifi and download one of those file managers from the command line). To do this, you will need to do this for every file (replace "(filename)" with each individual file's name - yes it's a lot of typing, but life's a ***** like that):

Code:
mv (filename).desktop1 (filename).desktop
So, for, say, ApMeFo.desktop1, you type "mv ApMeFo.desktop1 ApMeFo.desktop". And so on and so on.

- Edit -

For the sake of full information I want to say that there is probably some way to rename all of the files in one command, just renaming the .desktop1 .desktop parts of each file... But the point is I don't actually know how to do it yet. I was experimenting with "mv *.blahblah *.blahblah1" just now and getting errors. And I don't know the nuances of the available shells well enough.
i get permission denied when i try to change the file name using the mv command? help?

First of all, I am a total noob, but love to expriment and play around with my N900.
I hv no knowledge of linux or Xterm.

I have downloaded few programs; including applocker, assuming it will ask for password whenever I wish to check my emails or conversations. Please help me in removing the applocker and restoring the blocked applications.

-I installed applocker:
-Locked few applicationsIncluding App Manager/Applocker)
-After observing missing icons on screen, I Unistalled the applocker (Without unlocking the icons)Assuming it will remove the applocker and would restore desktop settings automatically. App Manager was still Active in multi-task window):
-But It did not help
- I reboot the phone, considering, it will help.
-But it did not help
- Luckily, I received update notification while I was searching for help. I immdtly opened the App Manager And I reinstall the applocker.
- Using Xterm, I opened applocker; and disabled all the blocked icons/applications.
- I observed there were 2 Applocker entry in the list. (Now none of the programs were blocked)
- But It did not help.
- I opened MC to rename .dektop files manually, but no files had .dektop1
- There was one file: applocker.desktop1 and one more file with applocker.desktop.
- I renamed it to applocker.desktop
- Still there were both the files intact.
- I removed the file applocker.desktop1
-But it did not help.

I feel so stupid, but all that did not help me to get the applications unblocked. Please some one help me.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine

ohh.. yeah i agree Jedi. I was alarmed. Wont repeat it again.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
viktor: You need to do it as root user. (A good rule of thumb is, if it's not inside /home/user/ you probably need root access to edit it.)

The best thing to do is to install rootsh from the app manager. This will let you simply type "root" or "sudo gainroot", and you will be elevated to root user in that X-Terminal window. If you don't have rootsh, and you locked "app manager", then that's slightly more difficult. I'm not currently aware how you'd launch app manager from the command line...

(Just tried it. Just type "hildon-application-manager" in X-Terminal, and it should launch the app manager. This way you can install rootsh if you don't already have it, and from there lets you edit the files to unhide your apps again.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
From some other thread:
Try
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall hildon-desktop hildon-home
and reboot again.

Many thanks. Issue resolved, I dont know how, but now my device is back to normal

I Locked All apps
Only 3 apps unlocked :
1 Phone
2 Notes And
3 Internet

And i delete applocker after locking all apps
please let me out of this problem
thanks