Sony has released a teaser about a new device.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Sony?

Aren't they the people who put rootkits on your computer to pre-emptively punish you in case you'd ever think about copying their stuff?

Are we supposed to still buy anything from them?

More rendered images with more detail. Looks credible.

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...ony_ux_pi.html

No word on the guts or the OS. Some speculation about Windows, etc.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by cobalt
No word on the guts or the OS. Some speculation about Windows, etc.
if somebody makes a tablet same size as the nokia 770 with the same price and with all the options that n770 have (usb, bluetooth, wifi...) that runs just win 98 (win 98 is enough), I will buy it right away.
-i

I was fooling around the the pics on this link:
http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther....html#comments

Here are the results:

I've tried scaling the high quality pics to real size, based on the size of the ports, etc. Based on my rough approximation, the screen is 5" diagonal, and the main unit is about 6.25" x 4.5" x 1.75". This size makes the fingerprint reader about 0.5", which seems more proportionate, and the keys become about the same size as on the keys on the Cingular 8125. The dock would be about 6" wide and 1.5" thick. When I tried scaling it to make the screen 7", the thumb board becomes kind of unusable, etc.

By the way, I think the antenna is on a grooved slot on the back and is extendable, which could boost wireless reception pretty considerably. It looks too flimsy to have out all the time.

If you want to try it yourself:
-head on picture scaled 63%
-top down picture scaled 64%
-dock picture scaled 95%
This was done on a Dell 2405 LCD display at 1920x1200 resolution in Photoshop Elements.

Last edited by cobalt; 2006-05-15 at 12:30.

Very close cobalt. Check the specs out at this Japanese site:
http://www.so-mo.net/

"The UX180P is set to be released in the U.S. for $1,799.99 around June. It will have a 4.5 inch 1024x600 touchscreen with XBRITE, slide-out QWERTY keyboard, Windows XP Professional, 1.2GHz Core Solo processor, 512MB RAM, 30GB hard drive with shock protection, 802.11a/b/g, WAN (Cingular EDGE), Bluetooth, dual cameras (VGA on the front, 1.3 MP on the back) with a microphone, and a biometric fingerprint sensor. There is 1 USB port, a Memory Stick slot!, and headphone and microphone inputs. The weight is 1.1 pounds with dimensions of 6" x 4" x 2" and the battery will last from 3 to 7 hours. A stylus and a case will be included, as well as a docking station which adds 3 USB ports, 1 Firewire port, and VGA/AV outputs. You can view the screen in portrait or landscape modes with the ability to zoom with dedicated buttons. GPS will also be supported through Bluetooth and pre-installed software. For those who wondering, the images in this post are indeed what the UX180P will look like."

wow, a 4.5 inch 1024x600 touchscreen!!

Thanks for that confirmation. Someone posted that info on Engadget but without identifying his source.

I'm going to speculate that Sony will release an external BR burner / BR player that can work with either a PC or a home theater set up. Or maybe that's called a PlayStation 3.

I read this one day before revealing... Anyways... This looks like a close competitor of the Samsung Q1. The most shocking thing about this product is the Core Solo Processor ((omg)) rated at 1.2 GHz (I didn't even know there was one that slow). I think what I'm trying to say is that internet tablets and mini computers (like those) are different leagues because people expect more from mini computers then internet tablets (i.e. processor speed, hard disk space, RAM, etc.)

I'm sure 1.2GHz is plenty for this computer. Modern processors are honestly over-spec for common tasks like web browsing, email, word processing, etc. (they are needed for games, video encoding, etc.) RAM is generally far more important. I currently use a 1.2GHz Pentium-III Vaio laptop (albeit with 768mb RAM and a 7200RPM hard disk) and it is plenty fast for my daily use (the RAM and hard disk upgrades I am sure made more of a difference than a processor one would, most of the time it idles along at 0-10%.) This processor I am sure is much faster at the same clock speed.

The 770 could definately do with more oomph but even here I suspect more RAM (and software fixes - with the latest firmware Opera is _much_ faster) would do more than the a processor speedup (and the 770s is _slow_ at 200mhz.) Note you also need to bear in mind the most common reason for putting slow processors in these devices - it helps the battery life.

Last edited by blorg; 2006-05-18 at 16:46.

It cost not less (starting from) 1800$. Crazy sony-man!!