David Pogue talks about the Samsung Q1...

"Microsoft deserves some credit for trying to shake up the status quo. It's sad, therefore, that the Ultra Mobile PC feels so wrong. It aims to bridge the size gulf between a palmtop and a laptop, but winds up inheriting the worst aspects of each. Like a palmtop, it feels claustrophobic, clumsy for text input and, with its exposed touch screen, vulnerable. Like a laptop, it's expensive, has short battery life and requires two hands to operate."

Origami for Linux geeks is Pepper Pad Plus!
Check this out:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbt...b=5&o=&fpart=1

That pepper pad plus looks very cool!

There is no mention of battery life... bad omen :-)
I don't think this is in the same segment as the 770, but at that price it could definitely hurt the UMPC if the software side is done right. A bit on the heavy side though...

It looks really nice (to my point of view) especially the addition of USB ports. I know the Nokia 770 supports USB but it's very fustrating...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Silicon Valley
The Pepper Pad managed about 2 hours on a charge with Wifi turned on and brightness set to 70%. The folks at Pepper told me that the Plus would do better thanks to larger battery (but didn't state by how much). Their previous estimate (not at the Connections show mentioned in my article) was 3 hours.

The 770 and Pepper tackle some of the same tasks but I still see them as fairly different due to size (even the Pepper Plus is much bigger than the 770). The 770 is great for pocket-sized Internet anywhere with relatively good battery life. The Pepper is great for home and coffee house surfing when you don't want bleary eyes after an hour, want something that can survive the kids and perils of the coffee table and won't be away from an outlet for all that long.

Needless to say, they both are instant-on and don't run Windows which means no worries about virii and all those Windows service packs. The UMPC will be relatively high maintenance for a casual device but it still has its appeal for those who really need Windows apps. At $599 for the Pepper Plus, you'd think it could seriously hurt the UMPC, but I'm not sure if Pepper had the marketing power to go up against the likes of Microsoft and Samsung.

Lisa from MobileTechReview.com

Last edited by pdagal; 2006-05-09 at 04:56.

At $599 for the Pepper Plus, you'd think it could seriously hurt the UMPC, but I'm not sure if Pepper had the marketing power to go up against the likes of Microsoft and Samsung.
Yep... Unfortunatly Papper Pad is not recognised by public, like Samsung.
It is known by us, gadgeters , needs more commercials