Active Topics

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As well as having other disadvantages, such as the lack of tactility.
I did not dispute that. I was merely stating that they are cheaper to produce than HWKB (no fiddly movable parts, different layout easily achieved in software...) and thus they are a preferable option for the manufacturer. Not necessarily for the user.
Yeah, I guess my post wasn't really a reply to you, but rather that whole "another screen as kb" -topic. Just picked up your post to somehow connect my message to that conversation, which was mainly over. So I got your point about manufacturers' perspective and have no need to argue with that

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Is this project still feasible?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zero Six For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Here is the specs of this device. This is not a fanboy dream - we already have working - stablised - debugged solution. It's real.

This is also not 100% confirmed and subject to further change. But this is what we are working at the moment.

The Livermorium "Pocket PC" Lauta-revival project:

SoC: Qualcomm MSM8953 64-bit 14nm

We decided to choose a mid-tier instead of flagship SoC because:
- It's very expensive to get the flagship components with small quantity
- The flagship solution itself is very expensive
- Most of the time it's over powered and waste battery
- MSM8953 is very power efficient and also have great performance

Display: 5.5" FHD 1080p IPS, Capacitive, 2.5D glass

The reason choose 5.5 over 5.0:
- More "compatible" with Moto Keyboard Mod's slider part, same size, less work
- More space on keypad, means bigger keys and more keys
- Bigger battery

Camera:
Front 8MP
Rear Dual 13MP+13MP (RGB+Monochrome)

Some of the best we can get at the moment.

Storage: 64GB ROM +4GB RAM

Keyboard: 5 Rows slider similar to Moto Keyboard Mod, screen can be lifted.

BT4.1, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and 5GHz, GPS/Beidou/Glonass/Galileo
USB Type-C with OTG, 3.5mm jack, MicroSD, Dual Sim, IR

Quad LTE bands + Quad WCDMA bands + Quad GSM bands.
One version for NA and one version for EU

Sensors: Gravity, Proximity, E-compass, Gyroscope, optional fingerprint

Unlocked bootloader

Battery 3500mAH

Regarding OS, from all the great suggestions, here is the plan:

- Sailfish OS (will try to make it happen)
- Lineage OS or GMS-Android (for general users who just want a physical keyboard)
- A third OS? I will also support any individual/orgnisation who wants to develop OS other than above.

Above is the plan. More updates will be posted later.
Awesome specs except the Monochrome camera and fingerprint scanner. Remove these and I'm in!
Also thanks for choosing not the godamn Mediatek CPU.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
Awesome specs except the Monochrome camera and fingerprint scanner. Remove these and I'm in!
Also thanks for choosing not the godamn Mediatek CPU.
What have you against those features? IMHO it is better to add HW that is not useful to everybody, because someone else might need that.
And if you don't need it, well then you just don't use it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What have you against those features?
Playing the devil's advocate, I can think of quite a number of things:
  • An unnecessary cost increase for someone not needing them
  • Occupying space that could be used by features I would use (e.g. more memory, an SD card slot, a second SIM slot...)
  • An extra feature to maintain, provide driver updates, etc.
  • An extra thing that could break, potentially affecting other things I would use

Those are just the things I could come up in a few seconds. I am sure I could come up with more given the time

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I could justify the fingerprint scanner for adding some comfort to device usage (though creating some problems for personal security), but I see absolutely no point in the second camera, especially monochrome one.
If you was creating a hardcore "pro specs" device you could possibly add a second camera with different focal range "for portraits", but why monochrome?
Also I second pichlo's post above.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
... but I see absolutely no point in the second camera, especially monochrome one.
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/tech...ra-sensor.html

The monochrome sensor has been long known to provide an unparalleled sharpness to the images they capture. Professional photographers prefer to go for a camera with a monochrome sensor for capturing maximum detail with superior image clarity. Therefore, the implementation of this sensor into a smartphone’s camera module as the secondary sensor could help concerned consumers get the best of each shot.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Heik View Post
The monochrome sensor has been long known to provide an unparalleled sharpness to the images they capture. Professional photographers prefer to go for a camera with a monochrome sensor for capturing maximum detail with superior image clarity. Therefore, the implementation of this sensor into a smartphone’s camera module as the secondary sensor could help concerned consumers get the best of each shot.
That's all well and good, but I, for one, am waiting on Chen's phone because I want an Linux-ish OS (which would happen to not be from any of the GAFAs) phone with a hardware keyboard.

I'm not interested in having a "professional camera" (sic) in my phone...

Your mileage does seem to vary, though.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Very interesting talk on the dual screen. I actually happen to have both the Chinese version (6+128GB) and AT&T (4+64GB) of the Axon M.

It's a very good device but in my point of view it cannot replace HW keyboard for following:

- Typing on one screen still feels different than typing on physical keys
- Additional screen is more power consuming
- Dual screen is more vulnerable in a drop

But on the other hand, it's not easy to make to make a dual screen phone, engineering work and software needs a lot efforts. Salute to ZTE that have the will to try.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Back to this product. Livermorium had some good exposure with the Keyboard Mod with Motorola at CES, and we have started delivering to the backers.

However, this QWERTY product has been delayed because I put the remaining resources into helping delivering Youyota Tablet. And the process of Youyota Tablet so far has affected the timeline for this "Lauta" project severely, the progress also affected our view of having future official Sailfish OS collaboration.

Therefore, it might be to your disappointment, we will no longer seek Sailfish OS as the prime OS for this product. But I can assure you that I will move forward with the hardware work and seek for alternative Linux solutions.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen