Hi, guys, I figured I'll introduce myself, I am Jen, and i recently ordered my n810 woot woot. I am a student and chose the n810 over what i originally wanted a umpc. I was looking for a student's review of the n810 or the n800 but failed to find one, so I have in mind to write one, idk if it will be useful or not. Anyways, my major is ITT and I've taken cisco I and cisco II and java but no python or Linux, which means that i will probably annoy you at times jaja(like now)

so my n810 should be coming this Friday, and I'm probably going to get screamed for posting this thread lol, but i am wondering what i can do in the meantime while in the wait
for example i installed my new router, and i moved all my rss feeds from my Opera browser rss reader to google reader ( i read somewhere it was easier to transfer rss feeds from google to Maemo)
So I'm wondering what else i can do while i wait?

thanks and happy new years

I don't know how useful the N810 will be for use as a student if you are really looking for productivity. The tablet is great for browsing the web, and definitely good for entertainment like listening to music and IMing, but I would exactly call it a productivity machine. If you were really trying to be productive you might do well with keeping track of a calendar or using an planner book/task list app which I have yet to find (there may be a decent online one), and if you really wanted to try to make the N810 work for you, you could hook up a BT keyboard and find the most desktop like word processing app you can find.

As a student myself the N810 is wonderful for checking mail, and keeping myself entertained while I'm not busy, but if I really need to get some work done I end up bringing in the VAIO UX180 UMPC which is a mobile powerhouse. Coupled with a BT keyboard and a wireless mouse I can get real work done nearly as efficiently as sitting in front of my desktop.

Yeah, wont do much for you from a students point its not like a laptop really.

Best thing to do right now is read and maybe save some webpages that you found have great info or just take down some notes.

Enjoy the new toy!

yeah i agree with you guys, and thats alright. I plan to attend college in NYC and my commute to it will be around an hour and a half. I did not want to buy a laptop because i know they become annoying to carry especially when you have more books in your backpack. I wanted a umpc, but couldnt really afford one. I already have a desktop at home, in which i do all my homework. Most of what I do in my computer apart from using Word, and a few other apps, is go on the internet. I do a lot of reading, and googling. I dont really need a power computer because my desktop offers me that. What i really wanted was mobile internet, for which a umpc is too expensive for. thats why i chose the n810, and i think its a good choice. If there's a time i want to take a few notes on somenthing i am reading, i can use the n810.

I am going to do combined program in engineering but i wont be needing a laptop for another two years, so i figured i'll wait for the latest technology then.

so yeah i guess my n810 is going to be a toy but oh well i am still a kid! =]

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. I can tell you what I did for the entire week, while waiting for my N810 to arrive... I read & read & read some more of the threads/posts here on this forum and I started making bookmarks for those that I would need after I finally got my precious. There is a ton of information and how-to's already available here and I personally think it made setting up and hacking my new machine go a lot quicker.

I too am a student (Molecular Biology) and got the N810 for both entertainment and productivity. I've got 9 textbooks (pdf and plucker) and a ton of journal articles. I highly recommend checking out FBReader - it will read plucker docs and I use Sunrise on my KDE desktop to turn entire websites into Plucker ebooks. The built in pdf reader is powerful enough to handle a 1200 page, full color pictures, Biochemistry text book As for where exactly to find online texts - all I can say is google is your friend.

For PIM & word processing - well, I've managed to fix the issue with lack of Maemo apps by installing KDE (all hail PenquinBait !) Now with the $30 iGo BT keyboard from Amazon - I'm all set up to do pretty much anything I can do on my home PC. Plus, as Benz mentioned, I can entertain myself while riding the bus.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Heyo, welcome. When I was in college we had laptops (some nutbar mobile computing pet project that cost us a tonne to rent the suckers) and I've been using my 770 for over 2 yrs now so I can give you a bit of student insight... all I can say is this - - pick up an iGo Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard. It's portable that it won't be a pain in the ***, and you won't end up with stumps for thumbs trying to use the N810's built in keyboard. (It'd be perfect for those moments where you don't wanna have a laptop out but need to type quicker than the thumbboard would allow.)

Otherwise, read the Wiki, browse around... there's tonnes of stupid info around here

You might also want to consider looking at data plans for your cell phone so you can get cellular internet from your phone to the N810 via bluetooth.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Wilmington, NC
Be sure to browse the maemo site to look for interesting apps to download when it arrives..

Also, I'd like to take umbrage at those who say the IT is just a toy. I'm a traveling software consultant and often do the "6 cities in 5 days" routine, and my N800 is a godsend. With the iGo Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard ( I bought 2 at Amazon for $30 each) and a wifi connection (or my Bluetooth data plan) I can use logmein.com (for FREE) to connect to my home or laptop machines and work directly on them without the requirement of carrying around all that additional weight.

Instead of a heavy laptop, with the bag and associated power brick, I now board planes with a small shoulder bag containing my IT and associated kit (keyboard, charger and spare batteries) - and it doesn't have to get separately scanned by TSA!!

Of course it's great to have a few sdhc cards packed with music, books and movies to pass the time between clients, so the IT running UKMP (or Kagu or Canola) is a great media player too!!

hey guys yeah i plan to use fbreader a lot. I am not sure about the bluetooth keyboard i guess i gotta get a feel for the n810's, but later on i do plan on getting one.

my mobile provider is tmobile, I do want to use the internet using the 5.99 Tzones plan but i hope it can work with my phone i Have a 6103, however this plan will start in february.

I was about to buy one of those cases from Ebay but i decided to wait and see what happens, maybe a cool one that actually fits the design comes out..
but yeah cant do nothing else but wait..

good news though(sort of) My n810 was shipped yesterday(supposely) and will arrive January 9th...(a week) !!

thanks guys

I'd say don't buy extra stuff before taking a hard look at it and decide if it suits your needs.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-01 at 19:52.