Active Topics

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
I only just noticed this thread, and now I'm curious...
  • Is there a website with applications specific to the Youyota (read: not android) ?
  • Would that tablet work properly if I connect it to internet through USB ?
  • I understand that it's still available through IGG, but for how long ? Having some reviews in the wild could/might sway a few more people in, but by then the Youyota will possibly not be available anymore... or will it ?

Also, it's not a question, but I too am on the "need website" bandwagon...

Last edited by British; 2017-09-04 at 13:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I need to be off for a period of time due to personal issue.

If you need website or more information, please write to Michael on IGG (contact campaigner)

I don't work for Youyota I'm just help connecting him with Jolla and I don't take a penny from it. I will try my best to help but there is certain things outside of my control.

I only represent for Livermorium so please if you want anything related with Youyota ask Michael via email on IGG.

PS: Livermorium website is under construction and will be online once Moto officially announces the Keyboard Mod.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-09-04 at 13:46.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
|...]if you want anything related with Youyota ask Michael via email on IGG.
Is it possible to contact him outside of IGG ?
I can't see any email and I'd rather not create an account if I can avoid it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Also as far as I know (from last week) that they are under production and in progress.

- I will try to get more info and update very shortly

- Because our number and order is so small, from my personal experience the factory, components dealer and other partners wouldn't put too much attention on it. And it's Michael to deal/chase/argue with them. There is certain things I can't help in this case

- Please ask Michael via IGG I do not work for Youyota I don't know if they will build a website

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
@nthn I took you for real hacker for some reason, but...
  • 1.) The difference between the Jolla Tablet and some random android tablet is that the Jolla tablet doesn't go to deep sleep, ever.
    There is just so much to do and see in the world that sleeping is silly!
  • 2.) Running android apps in SFOS... well you know what's my opinion on that kind of nastiness!
  • 3.) Nobody getting the Youyota Tablet will be disappointed, we know what we are getting and why!
1: great excuse for a pure waste of electricity. The point of a tablet, and I mean the only point of a tablet, is to be an always-on internet-connected (when in range, anyway) piece of glass to watch YouTube videos and read newspapers on. If the only time you can use it is when it's connected to a charger, it's useless. Might as well just use your computer with a bigger screen, a proper keyboard and none of these bugs.
2: clearly the issue has nothing to do with whether the applications were Android applications, Sailfish applications, TMO opened in a browser or top running in two terminals. If it did, the problem would be even worse, because the tablet is sold with 'support for Android applications'. If you can't run Android applications without the device instantly committing harakiri, it doesn't actually support anything. At least now you/I can just say the device doesn't work.
3: my point from 1 stands. Even if you only want to use your tablet as an expensive way to show off your elite Python skills, you can't show off anything if all applications are constantly crashing, and when they've finally stopped crashing the battery is dead. Did I mention you can't lower the brightness below twenty thousand lumens? The device sometimes crashing and somehow leaving an actual screen burn in? Did I mention none of these problems were ever present on the Jolla phone (besides the TOH battery draining bug in the very beginning)?

I got a Jolla phone knowing there would be plenty of bugs and forever unfinished features. I got a Jolla tablet expecting slightly less bugs and unfinished features - after all, two more years of development had already passed by the time of its release, and another one by the time I got one. Oh, but I was wrong...
Still, I will keep it, if only to have a reminder of what could have been. Maybe one day someone will fix one of these crazy bugs, maybe not. I hope for the best and fear for the worst, but then, the way the tablet currently works (or, perhaps more accurately, doesn't), this is already the worst case scenario.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by British View Post
  • Is there a website with applications specific to the Youyota (read: not android) ?
There's OpenRepos (be sure to filter by 'sailfish_app' which has third party applications and extra packages (no quality control). The Jolla store (which has applications for Sailfish OS and Android) has no website (and actually no quality control either). Most people upload their applications to OpenRepos, because the Jolla store is extremely strict in the libraries they allow applications to access, making it impossible for many run of the mill applications to be available through officially supported channels.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
The Jolla store (which has applications for Sailfish OS and Android) has no website (and actually no quality control either).
AFAIK the Jolla store does run the submitted apps and will not ACK them when they don't really work in some fundamental way (eq. crash, etc.).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
AFAIK the Jolla store does run the submitted apps and will not ACK them when they don't really work in some fundamental way (eq. crash, etc.).
not only that, they're also checking conformance with power profile - eg. app should not contain heavy loops running in background. Wouldn't ack it if it drains battery while inactive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruff For This Useful Post:
There is also a Jolla store on Aptoide here: https://jolla.store.aptoide.com

IIRC it was set up towards the end of the original Jolla tablet campaign in preparation for the delivery which never happened for most of the backers. I have no idea what level of maintenance or curation is going into this store now, but here is a general discussion of what checks Aptoide runs: https://blog.aptoide.com/number-one-...toide-is-safe/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
The Jolla store (which has applications for Sailfish OS and Android) has no website
...and I absolutely detest it for it. Not just the lack of a website, but the fact that Sailfish and Android apps are intermingled with no way of filtering one or the other out. It gives the impression of a total lack of confidence on Jolla's side. Like the thought that someone might actually want to run Sailfish without Android has never even started speculating about the possibility of crossing their mind.

Last edited by pichlo; 2017-09-04 at 21:17. Reason: correcting auto-correct

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os