Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Demo?

It's a CGI mockup for a device for the year 3000.

"Nokia says the concept device demonstrates handset features that nanotechnology might be capable of delivering, including flexible materials, transparent electronics, and self-cleaning surfaces."

I like the "self-cleaning surfaces", mostly because it was an article on Engadget just before Nokia released this blurb, suggesting that they just threw it in the press release to give the thing at least a shimmer of release-ability.

"Nokia believes that certain elements of the device could be used in high-end Nokia devices within the next seven years."

Yeah, that would probably be the colour...

Woah! Totally on my wishlist!

Now all a woman needs is a make-up case in the same technology as a bracelet for the other hand, and we're purse-free!!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lilavati View Post
Now all a woman needs is a make-up case in the same technology as a bracelet for the other hand, and we're purse-free!!!
Oh yeah, right. Where are you going to put the hair brush and the hand mirror?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I like the concept. Its funny though that I see most of what's in that concept already in my N800 (haptics, solid camera, and bendability aside). The concept takes the idea of a hypertext environment and pushes the tech to be a subset of that (which it should be IMO).

I would be nice to see such a device, or even shades of it, in the years (sooner) to come.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh yeah, right. Where are you going to put the hair brush and the hand mirror?
As women's purses are already clearly created with additional dimensions exceeding the traditional 3 ones (it's pretty obvious the volume must be must higher seen from the inside than from the outside), I imagine it won't be too difficult to transfer that technology into a future nanotech bracelet purse..

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Huh. I bent a Nokia cellphone once. It just didn't bend back.

I'd removed the cells from the battery in an old, analogue Nokia phone and given it to my toddler son as a toy. After he swung it by the whip antenna and split my forehead open, I reconsidered the gift, reshaped the phone, and threw it away.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, a wrist phone, gimme gimme gimme!

with a phone on my wrist, a bluetooth earpiece and a small bluetooth keyboard for input (when i think about it, all of those exist today, but not in one package) things would be really interesting.

only problem then is web on the go, as that phone will probably have a very small screen...

oh wait, foldable eink!

phone acts as gateway to the net for all my other devices, and the keyboard can be comboed with a foldable eink display with a stand. that is if the keyboard could also either do touch pad, mouse nub, or maybe even wiimote duty to control the pointer on screen.

only problem then is that when the phone runs out of battery, all of my stuff is more or less useless...