Active Topics

I'm tryinig to run this command "dpkg -i <gngeo.deb>"
and it says I dont have the right privileges...

so when I try to do a Su command. it asks me for a password. how do I find out this password ?

It's "rootme" if I am not mistaken. If I am, search the forums for "becomeroot".
(Man, there was a becomeroot question just a few days ago... the youth nowadays... )

Last edited by lilavati; 2007-12-28 at 23:16.

not workin... that rootme password should work. everywere I search it says. "rootme is the password" but nothing....

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
In order to become root you need an app called "becomeroot" once installed, you'll type "sudo gainroot" in the command line.

so I've gained root(??) downloaded become root, and ran sudo gainroot.. I'm in the /home/user dir... I want to install a .deb file from there. "gngeo.deb" (which should be located here). how do I do this

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
so I've gained root(??) downloaded become root, and ran sudo gainroot.. I'm in the /home/user dir... I want to install a .deb file from there. "gngeo.deb" (which should be located here). how do I do this
Code:
sudo gainroot
dpkg -i /home/user/gngeo.deb
If you downloaded it through the browser, then it may actually be in /home/user/MyDocs/

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I did a "dpkg -i /home/user/gngeo.deb"

and was given a "unpacking gngeo"... and then.."dpkg error processing /home/user/gngeo.deb... error setting ownership of './meda/mmc1/roms': operation not permitted..."

I'm doing this because for somereason I'm unable to install gngeo from the maemo website. so a great user suggested installing it from xterm.

I think the problem could be that its looking to install/unpack the program into "/meda/mmc1/roms" but the directory doesnt exist...

... or is non-exec.

it worked. i was able to get it to install by creating the /meda/mmc1/roms directory. (I guess it was looking for that spot to install). thanks guys! too bad non of the roms work.. hehe