Closed Thread
I can't believe how much of a disaster this device has turned out to be. I just flashed my N810 with "RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin", and when I go to refresh my package list, it sits with the updating progress dialog and does nothing.

I've had this N810 for almost a year now, and it has basically sat doing nothing the entire time.
The device is utterly useless. All UI operations are slow, unresponsive and laggy. I connect a Bluetooth keyboard to it and input is equally as slow. I enable a 128MB swap (why I should even have to do this blows my mind to bits).

I try to use the GPS and it can't get a lock to save it's life. I take one step and the damn thing loses sync and it's another 10 minutes for a lock. AGPS or not (which I can't bloody install after flashing today because for some reason any interaction with the repos dies half way through - if that even).

I don't know how so many people can be even moderately satisfied with devices that are less responsive than tiger toys. Is it just really low standards or is there some procedure I haven't followed to enable "the secret actually be responsive" mode?

How do I make this thing work properly? GPS? Responsiveness? I have a bluetooth keyboard, a 4GB SD tossed in there. Help me out.

I'm not kidding. If I could turn this into a slow mobile text mode demo web server I'd be happy! It's not like I'm asking for much! Heaven forbid I expect it to do half the things it says on the box with any degree of practical efficiency.

Sorry, I just can't believe I spent ~$400 on something that basically comes to my doorstep bricked. I was at least expecting to have a decent experience with even just ONE of the features advertised. But the N810 can't deliver on anything it promises on the box.

If there was a way to get my money back, I would. But I can't, so I'm forced to try and find whatever convoluted path other seemingly satisfied owners have followed to actually enjoy this ripoff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omega For This Useful Post:
I'm somewhat with you on this.

The overall impression I get from my experience of using the N810 is that, it can do things, but do them slow, really slow. For example, video playback is not really that compatible with the DivX from the internet (the device just can't handle 350MB / 40minutes bitrate).

There's nothing that it can do that really shines. The product is not polished (just think about the overall performance / user experience), and I somewhat feel that all Nokia IT are marketed to fund R&D. It really is a half-*** attempt at producing a what could have been a great product.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chatbox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Pick up the pieces of your mind. Where did you learn that you had to enable a swap drive? That is untrue.

You might WANT to enable a swap drive, but that's s different story. You might do something similar in Windows, too -- would that blow your mind to bits? (Look under Control Panel in Windows, under something like Advanced System Performance, if you don't believe Windows could be so mind-bending)

I have run without either for months, and it works pretty well, so saying that you HAVE to have a swap drive, as you said, is just a lie.

It looks to me like there's something wrong with the way you have the packages installed, and you seem to be unhappy with performance. Therefore, why try to repeat failure -- are you trying to get a slow system again?

So, I would say, don't restore your backup. But you want to restore your backup anyway? Fine, enjoy your setup.

You don't seem to have the right temperament for your tablet, to tell the truth. Why don't you sell it?

My suggestion is that you don't restore the backup and check the performance. Is it dog slow?

You've already restored the backup? Reflashing is easy.

I already have an N800 and N810, but as an alternative, I'll buy your N810 for $50 and I'll let you know how I fixed it! I love mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Pick up the pieces of your mind. Where did you learn that you had to enable a swap drive? That is untrue.

You might WANT to enable a swap drive, but that's s different story. You might do something similar in Windows, too -- would that blow your mind to bits? (Look under Control Panel in Windows, under something like Advanced System Performance, if you don't believe Windows could be so mind-bending)

I have run without either for months, and it works pretty well, so saying that you HAVE to have a swap drive, as you said, is just a lie.

It looks to me like there's something wrong with the way you have the packages installed, and you seem to be unhappy with performance. Therefore, why try to repeat failure -- are you trying to get a slow system again?

So, I would say, don't restore your backup. But you want to restore your backup anyway? Fine, enjoy your setup.

You don't seem to have the right temperament for your tablet, to tell the truth. Why don't you sell it?

My suggestion is that you don't restore the backup and check the performance. Is it dog slow?

You've already restored the backup? Reflashing is easy.

I already have an N800 and N810, but as an alternative, I'll buy your N810 for $50 and I'll let you know how I fixed it! I love mine.
I'm only going to respond to say I'm not entering into the "who can be the biggest dick" contest you've put out for. Congratulations, you won it on your first try.

I don't pay $400 to be told what to expect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Omega For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Omega,
I wasn't happy with the out of the box experience either, I found it slow and lacking in horsepower. My girlfriend however is constantly amazed at what it can do.

The videos you are playing are perfect for desktop use, but maybe you should try recoding them to mobile/tablet/ipod type resolution - its better on your battery and its certainly more playable.

Theres a few things its missing and certainly lots of deficiencies and I'm personally working towards making it work how I expect it to.
Heres my approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXp0Dg_UaY

I didn't sit and complain in a forum though, part of the reason I bought this device was because it was open source.
It was created on the whole by people like you and me who wanted to make their computers do what they want it to.

Get stuck in, identify the problems, report on the bugs, try to help build a better device for everyone.

If you are unwilling to help then maybe geneven is right and you should pass yours onto a good home.

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-03-29 at 14:58. Reason: s/table/tablet/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
I like to think of the device on the same terms as any other computer I buy. It's a reasonable bunch of hardware with which I can do whatever I want because Nokia is fairly open with it and provides us with the necessary tools.
For example, one can go so far as installing a new bootloader and operating system. (Eg: Android or Debian). This can be done without Nokia getting angry and trying to threaten people.

In that way, I personally have no trouble whatsoever with my N810, although Maemo is a bit on the heavy side for now. I still like Maemo, though. That may be since I develop with desktop Linux stuff so I'm a bit of a cheerleader for the different technologies employed in Maemo, like Telepathy and GTK+.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Hehe... what's really cool about all these "slow and unresponsive"-things is:

Today, I wanted to watch a video on youtube on the desktop PC i'm working on right now. it was barely watchable because it stuttered so much. so i went to the other room and got my N800, where it played fine.

those who complain about the lack of speed probably are used to working on the latest desktop hardware and (because the tablet behaves so much like a desktop PC in everything) for some reason expect it to be as fast as their intel quadcore.

i'm still amazed at the speed of such a small, battery-friendly device.

@omega: you seem to be the wrong target group. sell it and do someone else a favor.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Hehe... what's really cool about all these "slow and unresponsive"-things is:

Today, I wanted to watch a video on youtube on the desktop PC i'm working on right now. it was barely watchable because it stuttered so much. so i went to the other room and got my N800, where it played fine.

those who complain about the lack of speed probably are used to working on the latest desktop hardware and (because the tablet behaves so much like a desktop PC in everything) for some reason expect it to be as fast as their intel quadcore.

i'm still amazed at the speed of such a small, battery-friendly device.

@omega: you seem to be the wrong target group. sell it and do someone else a favor.
I disagree and you basically undermine any notion of suitability for purpose. Don't sell it if it can't do what it's advertised to do.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Omega,
I wasn't happy with the out of the box experience either, I found it slow and lacking in horsepower. My girlfriend however is constantly amazed at what it can do.

The videos you are playing are perfect for desktop use, but maybe you should try recoding them to mobile/tablet/ipod type resolution - its better on your battery and its certainly more playable.

Theres a few things its missing and certainly lots of deficiencies and I'm personally working towards making it work how I expect it to.
Heres my approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXp0Dg_UaY

I didn't sit and complain in a forum though, part of the reason I bought this device was because it was open source.
It was created on the whole by people like you and me who wanted to make their computers do what they want it to.

Get stuck in, identify the problems, report on the bugs, try to help build a better device for everyone.

If you are unwilling to help then maybe geneven is right and you should pass yours onto a good home.
You know, it's a good suggestion to sell it and I gladly would. But I'm not going to take the whole $400 to the face so somebody else can have the device cheap.

That's a pretty cheap scheme if you ask me. All because the device can't do what it is advertised to do in any practical way.

This thing is a metaphor for a Flintstones car.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
I'm only going to respond to say I'm not entering into the "who can be the biggest dick" contest you've put out for.
Oops, too late. You are the big winner in this thread!

Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive