IMHO, Nokia should just follow along with the public impression of the device, add a limited office suite and a PIM to it, and start bundle it with its lightweight phones like E50/E51. There is no use continuing to persuade people it is a "media device": nobody is buying this idea. And why does Nokia need yet another media device, with its N-series line crowded with dozens of phones?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by fms View Post
IMHO, Nokia should just follow along with the public impression of the device, add a limited office suite and a PIM to it, and start bundle it with its lightweight phones like E50/E51. There is no use continuing to persuade people it is a "media device": nobody is buying this idea. And why does Nokia need yet another media device, with its N-series line crowded with dozens of phones?
I don't see any problem with including PIM and office compatibility, but forcing bundling? Screw that BS. It's a new market segment, and as with all new market segments, it takes time to grow. Nokia happens to have pioneered this one, so the growing pains are worse than usual.

Besides, I'm not really sure where you get the idea that they're selling it as a "media device". I guess you could argue that, as it's part of the N-series lineup, but Nokia really hasn't marketed as anything other than an internet tablet.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
This just hammers in what I've noticed for a while - Nokia has NOT successfully marketed the Internet Tablets, as every single negative review mentions either the lack of a cellular antenna or office editing.
Can't agree with you -- The problem with people today, especially a large crop of idiot reviewers out there today, is that they fail to read what the box says.

Nowhere on the box does Nokia mention that the N800 has PDA functionality, Office capabilities, or is meant to be a mobile phone.

One should not assume that all Ferraris are supercars. Just the same way that people should not assume that ALL N-Series devices are phones. N-Series devices are largely multimedia/internet-biased, which is pretty much what the N8X0 is about.

As a phone, I rate the N800/N810 0/10

As a PDA, I rate the N800/N810 2/10 for the acute absence of PIM functionality

As a device that allows me to make voip calls, listen to music, watch videos, surf the web, read and reply to emails, blog, I give the N800 an 8.5/10 and the N810 a 9/10 (for the hardware keyboard)

Oh, and I give that review a 1/10 -- clearly shows that the reviewer has no idea what he's reviewing. If he reviewed the iT for what it is advertised to do, and criticises it for that it is properly lacking, e.g. Java for banking applications, no support for sites using the latest version of Flash, iffy video after conversion, then I would be in some agreement. But this?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I don't see any problem with including PIM and office compatibility, but forcing bundling? Screw that BS.
Of course, I meant not the forced bundling but an option to buy a light business phone bundled with a tablet, at a discount. Basically, the entire setup should be treated like a mobile office phone with a wireless handset for easy operation in the field.

Besides, I'm not really sure where you get the idea that they're selling it as a "media device". I guess you could argue that, as it's part of the N-series lineup, but Nokia really hasn't marketed as anything other than an internet tablet.
The idea comes both from the N- designator and Nokia's marketing materials that appear to address the same audience as their media phone marketing (i.e. young hip urbanites, if you wish).

Yet, the device itself will easily tear any HTC-produced WinMobile-running crap into pieces, given just a few "right" applications.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Until there is a change in technology, 2 devices works best for me. Still waiting for something lightweight that projects straight onto your retina or perhaps a scroll type roll out screen. Then, a big screen and a single device might be an option.

It has allowed me to get a Nokia N82 with great Camera, flash, 3G etc. and when push really comes to shove, I can leave one of them at home etc.

1 device stays in your pocket while you use the other one all seamlessly. Where's the problem.
Zuber
Like you, I have my E51 and my N800. The N800 stays home when I have a big night out and don't want to be burdened with a large device and jokes along the lines of 'Is that an Internet Tablet in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?'

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
im going to say that the moment one allows third party programs to be installed, any kind of labeling or branding will not change that its basically a general purpose computer, and will be used as such.

hell, isnt nokia themselves making a big splash about the N95 being the future of computing? would not the E90 be a more fitting device in that fashion?

and is they plan on making the N8x0 a DMP, they should fix that damn bandwidth issue that makes it unable to play movies at full screen resolution.

oh and btw, unless im totally on deep water, even a N series phone comes with a simple calendar, right?

Last edited by tso; 2008-02-24 at 17:24.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, I've got to call you on that. Nseries products are focused towards Internet, video, music, imaging, or a combination.

More and more, I'm thinking they should have stuck with the 770 Internet Tablet and never added the Nseries. I don't know that it completely fits the Nseries moniker - yet.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I guess it's time to review everything in terms of whether it's a cell phone.

I'm looking forward to a review of my Dell laptop, starting with checkmarks summarizing its faults, such as:

Fits in pocket? NO
Holds Sim chip? NO
Syncs with desktop computer? NO
Choice of ringtones? NO

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I guess it's time to review everything in terms of whether it's a cell phone.

I'm looking forward to a review of my Dell laptop, starting with checkmarks summarizing its faults, such as:

Fits in pocket? NO
Holds Sim chip? NO
Syncs with desktop computer? NO
Choice of ringtones? NO
I don't think people are used to the thought of a pocket computer yet. It needs to have a better purpose than "Internet Tablet"

Transitional devices like the iPhone aren't even totally accepted. Lots of people get excited by it, but then I show it to others and they just say "I don't need email, web and music in my PHONE".

Its really interesting to get an outside (non-geek) perspective. I'm sure it will get there when the platforms are ready with the right applications. When a company puts out a device and says, "It does THIS really well" and a user can pick it up and say, "Hey sweet I can get my work done on this and browse the web" it will sell. Document editing, syncing and constant connectivity will help with that transition.

Because seriously, if the focus of the IT was on something else and it provided the same internet experience all the reviews would be stellar. While the web browser on the N8x0 is awesome, it pales in comparison to a desktop.

"The new Nokia N810 provides excellent Microsoft Office compatibility on a gorgeous 4.1" 800x480 screen, while providing a best in class web browser based on the popular Firefox. You can get all your work done, keep in touch with your friends on your favorite instant messenger or social website and when you're done, it fits in your front pocket!"

There would be no question of "whats the point of this tablet?"

Last edited by sherifnix; 2008-02-25 at 14:24.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
"The new Nokia N810 provides excellent Microsoft Office compatibility on a gorgeous 4.1" 800x480 screen, while providing a best in class web browser based on the popular Firefox. You can get all your work done, keep in touch with your friends on your favorite instant messenger or social website and when you're done, it fits in your front pocket!"

There would be no question of "whats the point of this tablet?"
Lol, how's that different, aside from the desktop, than now?

"The new Nokia N810 provides a superb multimedia experience with a gorgeous 4.1" 800x480 screen, while providing best in class web browser based on the popular Firefox desktop browser. You can stream internet radio, keep in touch with your friends on your favorite instant messenger or social website, and when you're done, it fits in your front pocket!"