Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Mara, when does it help ?
When the tablet's connected to a cellphone ?
It works as long as you have internet connection. WiFi is used without asking, but packet data (cell) you have to give the app permission to use it. (If you have high priced data plan and/or roaming in other country you might not like to get your next phone bill to find out your GPS has been calling home worth huge amount of $$$... )

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Cool, thanks!

The Diablo is about to hit the streets soon (2Q08... and no, it doesn't have to be the last day of 2Q...) and we'll get the A-GPS support that supposed to improve the performance greatly. I'm running Diablo and have this A-GPS app installed. However, sometimes it seem like help a lot but sometimes I do not notice much if any improvement. (But I have not really used it much... I rarely need the GPS and map.) Maybe someone else who has Diablo and A-GPS app have more experience?
A quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that a single pixel in the agps-ui is about 50miles square. If you tap a bit inaccurately the data will be calculated for the wrong location. I don't know how much of an effect such an error will have (i.e. will it be as bad as no data, or slightly better, or almost as good as the area for a given set of ephemerides is quite large). Anyone have any ideas?

One improvement, if this is actually going to be a problem, would be to allow users to zoom in on the map (or provide an API so we can use some other way or providing the initial location such as GeoClue). I understand this is only the first hack at it so these are thoughts rather than "why doesn't this do that, etc." sorts of comments