Now that the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet is out, it might be a good time to share your first impressions!

Suggested Format:

Purchased From:
Purchase/Arrival Date:

Dislikes:

Favorite Apps:

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Purchased From: Nokia Flagship Store, NYC
Purchase/Arrival Date: 11/17/2007

As far I know I bought the first one. Just happened to be in New York, so it was my lucky day when I went by the store Friday and found out it would be out that next morning.

Likes: UI is intuitive. Virtual memory. Connection manager beats OSX. Browser seems as advertised.

Dislikes: QWERTY is at wierd depth, hard to reach top row with bigger fingers. I like the QWERTY on my E70 better (so far). Maps app seems slower than Series 60 verrsion. Finger dragging in Pdf Viewer is lagged, needs work.

Errors:
I received an error when trying to drag some large movies or mp3/wav files via USB cable to an Apple Powerbook. After accessing the miniSD card from my Canon digicam, the camera reported the card as 'locked.' Had to put anotherr card in the camera before the 1st card would work again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bleek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Country - USA
Purchased from - Nokia Flagship Store Chicago
Purchase Date - 11-17-2007

Likes - love the keyboard , only time it is hard to type for me is when its plugged in. easier connection to my phone.

Dislikes - Most of the programs that are listed as that will work will not install. kagu , ukmp , python...NOT WORKING!! come on , this is ridiculous ive had all 3 tablets and i love them , but they will NEVER be taken seriously as a competitor to anything until crap like this is resolved....the simple fact that all the programs have to be totally changed in order for them to work is going to cause alot of people not to get one or upgrade the os in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Purchased From: Nokia Flagship Store, NYC
Purchase/Arrival Date: 11/20/2007

Included Car mount
Keyboard
screen
flat back

Dislikes:
Included case
Current lack of ported software
micro usb
small dpad

Overall I am more than happy with the 810. Feels good in the hands. The keyboard I like more than I thought. Still takes some getting used to, but is very htc like. I am liking the UI change as far as the thumbability goes. Overall feels way snappier than my recently flashed 800. (flashed to latest 2007 software) Even though the weather wasn't great I took it for a drive on the bike. Wow. What a difference from the 800. No issues seeing the screen at all. The gps is pretty spot on. Will try to post a pic or 2.

Last edited by nef919; 2007-11-21 at 02:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to nef919 For This Useful Post:
I feel like my previous post requires clearification.

Overall I am very happy with the n810. I have been watching the ITs since the 770 came out and almost got an 800. I have been a Symbian user for a while. This device rocks. Display is beautiful, the design is just about perfect. One could argue its too big but then you are sacrificing display size.

To clearify some issues:

1. TRANSFER of large(70MB+) mpg,avi,mp3 or wav to n810 via USB
Powerbook ---USB --> n810
Errors out towards end of transfer.

2. The GPS/ Maps app seems a little slower than the Series 60 version but I have not had a long time to test this the car.

3. No USB Charging. The lack of this feature is a big negative IMO. I bought a $30 USB to Power Adapter when I bought my n810.

4. Memory card issues. I need to test this again. I have a camera. I took the 4GB MiniSDHC(Uses a full SD adapter in the Camera) out of the camera and into my n810. This is one of the features I bought the n810 for. Then after I am done copying the files I put the card back in the camera. The camera now says the card is locked. After taking another miniSD (2gb used in my Nokia E70) and swapping it in the camera, the 4GB card worked normally once again in the camera.

5. Volume is a little low for the NY Subway / Airplane rides with the built included Nokia headphones / microphone. Need to try other headphones.

The Following User Says Thank You to bleek For This Useful Post:
Hi I'm new

Purchased From: mobilecityonline.com
Purchase/Arrival Date: Nov 20th/21st 2007

Dislikes: No preinstalled software for the web cam.
Battery kinda rattles once it's in.
Lack of fully compatable apps for os08, even apps that are ported or made for 08 may not work. Skype is on the list of installable apps and it wont install. Theres a version of ukmp for 08 and the required libs for it wont install. Just in general, a lot of out of the box featues seem incomplete or not implemented.
Poor flash performance.
The device sometimes has a hard time figuring out a single or double tap/click. For example I'll be finger scrolling a page by clicking and draging the page, but then all of a suddon it'll select text instead. Or in the file manager I'll single click/tap a folder or file and it will select it, sometimes it'll execute it. Im editing this on the n810 and right now I'm typing faster than it's showing up on the screen like a 3 sec delay. Seems to only happen when there is a lot of text on screen.

Favorite Apps: Mahjong and GPS

Last edited by Karwee; 2007-11-23 at 23:55.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Quick question - how does the N810's keyboard compare to the Dopod 838 / I-mate JasJam? I have one and find the keyboard very good.

Is the N810 of a similar size and feel?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Purchased From:Letstalk
Purchase/Arrival Date:21-11-07

Dislikes:Needed one 30 years ago, now I need glasses to read the thing.

Favorite Apps:so far GPS

GAD IT'S GREAT
hooked up to net, GPS, BT stereo headphones in minutes
I think I'm starting a new long relationship, now if they just had a projected hologram screen ....

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
USA
Purchased From:
CompUsa
Purchase/Arrival Date:
11/21/07
AWESOME! I love the form factor, now just the right size. The N800 was just a bit too big. This device feels like what the designers had in mind when they began the project now X years ago. I feel like there's another iteration, but so many aspects of this have been thought out, it's clear that the iterative approach to device production is beginning to pay off. That is, many of the too-large pieces even three years ago are now the right size and usable. The keyboard, for example, is something I thought I didn't need, but now I see how it extends the usability of the table by making it easier to enter data. I thought the stylus was easy, and it is, but I really like the new process. The keyboard looks small, but in fact it is pretty easy to type fast without too many errors, especially if you use the word recognition. It forms another line above the keyboard and once you get used to looking up and hitting the word, it really is fast. I was IMing with my son and he couldn't believe that I wasn't at my regular keyboard!

There are many other factors. The use of metal is nice. There was too much plastic on previous versions, so this now has a very solid feel, an object you just love to hold!

The transreflective screen isn't as bright, but it is definitely easier to see in the daylight, even direct sunlight. It's a tradeoff but a good one IMO.

The GPS isn't my killer app but what fun it is to have built in! Who knows when I'll really use it, but I will install the car mount. It's always with me, now it can be out of the briefcase when I'm on the road!

I paired it with my apple bt keyboard and it worked perfectly. Even better, I could move between the slide out keyboard and the bt without a hiccup.

Dislikes:
Not many. For the benefit of the QA team, I'll say that the fit for the slide-out keyboard could be a little tighter. Perhaps it's just my unit but it doesn't close with a secure click, and when pushing the buttons on the top of the unit, it tends to push out the keyboard as well.

Also the bezel approach to screen and body integration is, I hope, in it's last iteration. There are any number of reasons for this, chief among them being cleanability and durability

Favorite Apps:
Too many to mention. My killer app, that is, the one I gotta have, is Gnumeric. I don't think it's be compiled for os08 yet, but it is the function I bought the N800 for in the first place. I use it to check inventory in the stocks and the share the data using Google Docs.

I also love the fact that thanks to Zerojay and Texrat, the Jablet server has made the Contacts app usable (to me) for the first time, elminating the need to install another app like PIdgin for IM. And it looks like the sip phone will complete the functionality of the native app.

The GPE calendar must be mentioned as well, since, with Erminig (slo coming soon for os08, I hope), it actually syncs with my Google calendar. I was using the GPE contacts, but, well, see above. I will use the to-do list, but really, that functionality should be a part of the Google calendar. I've seen a Greasemonkey script (another useful app) for something like this but it hasn't been worked out just yet...soon!

There's more I am sure, but right now I have to get back to installing software Hopefully I can provide more feedback by actively participating in the forums.

Thanks to the Nokia team who brought this to us. Good work!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Hey - does anyone else's have a screw (or something) rattling around inside? Mine makes a very worrying noise when tilted left/right/back/forward (only) when the keyboard's open! (even with the battery and backplate taken off)

I just phoned the shop and got them to try all this with the demo unit and the manager assures me his does the same!

Last edited by dsmudger; 2007-11-25 at 12:43.