If I am not seriously mistaken OTG on the tablet will allow you to use a normal flash drive... no need for fancy discontinued drives

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
As far as I can tell, USB OTG is a new standard that sets restrictions on power consumption and the protocols for communication (plus other esoteric features that are beyond this old dog). I'm not sure if it can be used with normal USB flash drives.

However, the USB OTG hard drive enclosures, expand the capacities of our beloved N8xx's up to 100GB or more, with a zippy USB 2.0 connection. Here's a link for one of the enclosures (sans disk). This one isn't discontinued.

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...77%2C140%2C161

When my heart was broken on land, I fell in love with the sea.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n C.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
I just dont have that kind of room in my pockets. If the placement of the usb port wasnt so bad I could remove the casing and wire it into the logitech psp case I use. I saw a small 40GB bluetooth hard drive that could fit in the lid of the psp case i use on another post a wile back. To bad bluetooth uses to much battery power.

You just need one of this.
$10 here. Water/Cola/Beer resistent. Absolutely full sized, Smaller than the NIT when rolled. The keys are a little bit hard to press, but it's not big deal.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Certainly, certainly.

The Hard Drive is not perfect, but having 8GB on the N810 in addition to a 100GB tank to carry along would be useful for extended trips, backing up data, or intervals of extended desolation. It wouldn't need to stay connected, but could be used to transfer a movies, or other large files, to the unit before being disconnected. Simultaneously the USB OTG HD (phew...) is a good companion for the PC/camera phones/cell phones, etc. Its multiple uses lift it to a new strata of usefulness and likely extend its life beyond the soon-to-be-replaced N810 (~1 year).

It's the silence of the storm approaching that I fear the most.

}:^)~
YARR!!

Cappy

So is there a way to use this usb evdo modem with the new usb functionality

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/20/v...-do-usb-modem/

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Unfortunately, that thing is Verizon based. Blech.

Sprint has a USB EVDO modem that has support for windows, mac, AND LINUX (ovation U727) ... and it's not Verizon! :-)

$80 for the card, $60/mo for unlimited bandwidth ($40/mo for 40MB/mo). But, no word on whether anyone has it working with maemo.

They also have Sierra Aircard 595U USB EVDO modem, for the same pricing. But it only claims to have windows and mac support.

AT&T has the Sierra Aircard 875U USB HSDPA modem for $50 up front ($30 for 10MB/mo, $60 for unlimited data/month). And, again, it only claims windows and mac support.

Though, the Sierra site has an FAQ that tells how to _unofficially_ use the Aircard 775 with Linux. Don't know if that will work with maemo, or if it will work with other Aircard devices.

T-mobile, unfortunately, doesn't sell any USB based ones. There are third parties, like Falcon, that sell GSM GPRS USB modems and stuff, that might work with T-mobile, but I have no idea of the state of their Linux support.

What someone really needs to do is develop mobile modems that communicate to client devices via Bluetooth DUN, Bluetooth PAN, and/or act as Wifi access points (low power is fine, since it's not intended to serve your entire house). Put an internal battery in it, a USB interface solely for manipulating config files (presents itself to the host as a hard drive), and that's it. Then you don't have to worry about which OS it has drivers for, because it's going to be entirely based on standard communication protocols.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
What someone really needs to do is develop mobile modems that communicate to client devices via Bluetooth DUN, Bluetooth PAN, and/or act as Wifi access points (low power is fine, since it's not intended to serve your entire house).
Oooh, that would be a good idea. I thought I saw a dial-up modem that would do the same thing, convert it to Bluetooth so you can connect to it without worry of OS, drivers, connector type, etc. But, now take it to HSDPA, EVDO, EDGE or whatever method of connectivity you need.

Yeah, something like that would be especially perfect for in the car.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
So with the usb OTG is usb netorking now possible?