Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Love the work you've done with this.

I haven't been able to work out how to set a route between two points yet. If there are some instructions in the thread I've missed, my apologies.

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
Love the work you've done with this.

I haven't been able to work out how to set a route between two points yet. If there are some instructions in the thread I've missed, my apologies.
Take a look at the following video (especially section 2. Route setup):

There are other video links in first post.

Oh wow, you're quick! I managed to work it out by using "O" to drop a pin, and then "U" to route to it from current location.

Only issue is the blue line of the route seems to disappear momentarily every few seconds. Normal?

And scrolling across the map slowly can be a bit difficult to control. Is there a way to customise this?

Edit: also press 'n' hold menu (for routing) doesn't seem to work in portrait mode.

Last edited by 5spdvl; 2011-09-20 at 10:04.

Oh wow, you're quick! I managed to work it out by using "O" to drop a pin, and then "U" to route to it from current location.
"O" creates a marker (not very usable right now, because markers are cleared after restart) that has nothing to do with routing.

"U" only works properly for first press so I would recommend to use popup menu for route control (as shown in video). "U" creates a route from current GPS location to center of screen.

Only issue is the blue line of the route seems to disappear momentarily every few seconds. Normal?
Yes that is a known bug - route does not show up when direction arrow is on screen (ie. you have GPS fix and you are moving). Next release will be after MCC2011 ends and this bug will be fixed.

And scrolling across the map slowly can be a bit difficult to control. Is there a way to customise this?
Are you referring to scrolling during the dragging of marker? If so the speed depends on how close the marker is to screen edge - you can control it during dragging .

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn
Are you referring to scrolling during the dragging of marker? If so the speed depends on how close the marker is to screen edge - you can control it during dragging.
Scrolling without the marker selected (as in roaming the map, if you like). Like looking over the surrounding area.

I want to download maps on my pc and transfer them to the phone. What zoom shoul I choose?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
.....Yes that is a known bug...
Hmmm.
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cloudgps/
0/0 bugs

Itīs probably in this thread. First message reformatting & update or dedicated wiki-page? Need help?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Scrolling without the marker selected (as in roaming the map, if you like). Like looking over the surrounding area.
I think that you refer to scrolling that is a little different than usual. Other programs (all mapping apps, web browser, image viewer) move the contents with pointer movement on screen. Since pointer location is not refreshed that often on N900 I decided to go the other way to provide smooth scrolling.

I do not want to talk math here but I can say that implementing two strategies for scrolling (usual scrolling and the one which is in CloudGPS right now - the "gliding one") will be rather easy. I will add an option for that once the onscreen settings are there. I personally prefer the current gliding strategy but I think the usual one should be the default.

Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I want to download maps on my pc and transfer them to the phone. What zoom shoul I choose?
It is really up to you. One should consider the number of tiles to download and needed detail level. I never do bulk downloading but sometimes I explore the places I am about to go to using CloudGPS. I almost always walk on my feet so my preferred zoom level is 17 or 18. For the road between start and end of trip I do not need much detail because I only use CloudGPS to check the route progress. Zoom level 9-10 is often enough for me.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmmm.
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/cloudgps/
0/0 bugs

Itīs probably in this thread. First message reformatting & update or dedicated wiki-page? Need help?
Yes, please. It is a great idea. Wiki page will be appropriate place to store project info. You can start creating a page template and I will fill the missing bits in next couple of days.

I would like to express my great appreciation for those who donated to this project. It really means a lot for me to see that you care and support this project. Thank you very much.

Since I got N950 I have not been using my N900 much (can't blame me for that ). Two days ago I have tested the latest release on N900 and well, it is very buggy. The MCC rules do not forbid (at least they did not forbid the last year) to make a bugfix only release and since I consider the crashing issue and route flickering issue a serious ones I decided to make a bugfix release this weekend. If there is some other bug that annoys you very much please post it here and I will try to fix it in next release.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Personally, the only real problem I see is the route flickering (which you're aware of). The scrolling I described above is only a preference thing, and if you decide to include a second option then it's a bonus. Otherwise it's the best mapping program I've used for the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to 5spdvl For This Useful Post:

Tags
best gps app