Hi all,

I'm looking to set up gnupg to enable en/decrypting individual files on my n900, using a key imported from my laptop. I think I've got the basic steps sorted, but I'm hitting an issue.

The .gnupg dir in /home/user is owned by root. This means that I can't import keys into it as user, and if I do it as root, I can't use them as user.

Have I messed something up somewhere, and should this dir be owned by user?

I can't think of anything I've done to change it, but I haven't played with the device (as opposed to using it mainly as a phone) for some months, so may have forgotten something.

Edit to add a question I'd forgotten:

Is gpg on the n900 gpg2? If not, is that one available?
gpg2 gives command not found error.

Last edited by skanky; 2014-04-11 at 09:40.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
nothing under /home/user should be owned by root. Login as root and do chown -R user /home/user/.gnupg

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Many thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'll get round to doing that and will report here as soon as I've finished the sshd stuff in the other thread.

There's quite a lot of stuff owned by root, which is odd. I don't recall doing much as root in the past. I tend to try and do as little as I can as root, if I can help it.

Also, I'm unable to change group from "root" to "users", but the owner is now all "user". I'll try again now.

Okay, I have sorted it out and got gpg working, so many thanks for your help there.

So one remaining question, I guess:

1) Does anyone know if it's possible to get gpg-agent working on n900?

I'm currently working on that, but if anyone else already solved it or have a workaround, that would be great?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Found it in the repos and installed it (gnupg-agent). Now I've just got to get it working.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
Found it in the repos and installed it (gnupg-agent). Now I've just got to get it working.
Cool. Once you get it working, please do write up a howto/tutorial for the benefit of the community

I actually installed gnupg at some point to use in combination with alpine. The problem is that unless I send e-mails to myself there's not much point in using PGP/GPG, which is sad, but AFAIK there's no easy way of using client-side (end-to-end) encryption in combination with multiple ways of using e-mail (various IMAP clients, web client, etc.)

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Okay, still getting some issues and not getting much time over the weekend. I'll hopefully get back onto this during the week.

Only using it for file en/decryption and not email so it may or may not be very useful. I've got it encrypting with an imported key from my laptop, and gnupg decrypting with the same key, but the agent's not working correctly still.

Sorry about the delay, got really busy.

I gave up on gnupg-agent. I got it to work out of the bix, except that it just wouldn't see the pinentry program and kept failing. In the end I just removed them.

I was trying it to get pass working on the n900. From version 1.5 it doesn't need gnupg-agent, so I just used it as is without the agent.

The only issue there is now it wants a newer version of tree, but only for a limited subset of functionality that I don't use.

Tags
gnupg