Notices

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Hi,

I'd really like to use Dropbox more for storing my images from my phone.

ATM the only (?) Dropbox client is DropN900 which is great, but the biggest problems for using it to upload images are:

1) I still don't understand the camera's logic of storing photos taken. Some end up on memory card, some in internal memory

2) DropN900 allows only one file to be uploaded at a time.

At the very basic level the sharing plugin could use Dropbox's default folders if that would make developing it easier, because my main objective would simply to get the file "as is" into the internet for later vierwing.

Uploading to Twitpic, Ovi Share, Facebook etc all manipulate the image somewhat, and so I feel like I need to always USB any files I want to keep in their "raw" format. I also simply feel that the age of wires is over!

Does anyone see this possible?

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by cjp View Post

ATM the only (?) Dropbox client is DropN900 which is great, but the biggest problems for using it to upload images are:

1) I still don't understand the camera's logic of storing photos taken. Some end up on memory card, some in internal memory

At the very basic level the sharing plugin could use Dropbox's default folders if that would make developing it easier, because my main objective would simply to get the file "as is" into the internet for later vierwing.
I'm sure it's possible, have you had any contact with the application's developer about this? He may know more about it or explain how you could achieve this.

Uploading to Twitpic, Ovi Share, Facebook etc all manipulate the image somewhat, and so I feel like I need to always USB any files I want to keep in their "raw" format. I also simply feel that the age of wires is over!
What's the main use case you are trying to solve here?

Is it just a wire free way of getting files (photos) from your n900 to your desktop/laptop without altering the source file? I pretty much always use ssh for this these days - speeds over wireless are pretty good and there's no internet transmission involved. You can even do this with a laptop and n900 when you are out and about with MobileHotSpot or similar. Don't worry ssh doesn't mean using the terminal exclusively, I use a standard file explorer from my Linux machines (nautilus or dolphin support this beautifuly).

If you actually want to get the files up into the 'cloud' untouched then yes you need something based oon a service like DropBox.

I agree a sharing plugin for DropBox sounds good - I know I'd use it - but it may already be feasible without the plugin. Copy files to DropBox sync folder?

Sorry, it's not a direct answer to your question but it may prove helpful to you or someone else.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Edit: Thought I figured this out but I didn't.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cjp; 2010-10-14 at 18:21.

I really want this too. Even if it just goes into a upload folder on dropbox (site).

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Berkeley, CA
Although there's no specific Dropbox plugin, you can download the Pixelpipe plugin from the Ovi store and add Dropbox as one of your pipes. If you share a file with the Pixelpipe plugin, it will then be placed in a "Pixelpipe" folder in your Dropbox.

Check out this thread for more info:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...xelpipe&page=2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhwan For This Useful Post:
how can i record vedio using my N900 .. i dont see any option in my mobile.. please help me .

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
I think it need sorting options!! i can figure out which is old and wich is new by date!

i know the developer has left this project i read some where in this forums that he has abandoned this awesome app!

but if some one knows how to compile this app can u add a sorting option for my files in drop-box.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I just did a quick test.

I created a new folder, and moved some files in it. I then fired up DropN900, re-created the folder, and went to settings and selected the new folder for sync.
I then got this:

I suppose this would suit your needs?

I however ran into some problems, because on the initial run only 6 files actually appeared on my desktop dropbox folder, despite DropN900 saying it completed 9/9 uploads. I tried to sync it again, and this time it said it completed 3/3, but only 8 files were in the desktop folder.

I re-ran the test with a new folder, and "9/9 were completed" yet only 8 actually made it to the folder. Doesn't seem reliable enough for regular use :S I'll post this into the DropN900 thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
You should be able to use the WebDAV plugin for this, coupled with something like DropDAV service.

Wow nice to see this thread jump back to life.

I really enjoy the built-in feature of uploading pictures and playing around a file manager inside an uploading app doesn't really appeal to me.

WebDAV looks promising, but when I try to configure it thinks for a while and quits. I don't get any dialogue about setting it up. Is the sharing plugin compatible with Maemo5? I think I found its thread and originally it was designed for the N800.

Tags
dropbox, plugin, request, sharing