Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Does it really matter what version I use if I'm just resizing "partitions"?
Well, it is advisable to use the version, when booting from external media, which is the installed version.
But you really shall not use an older or vastly different (i.e., far newer) version.
(IIRC, I phrased this carefully in my guide to extend the root volume size.)

Side note: This is the same for all Linux computers, be it a PC, Notebook, Phone, whatever! Please refrain from using "anything that boots". While the on disk format of LVM and classical file systems should stay the same and changes always shall be upward compatible, nobody tests with vastly different versions of the tools to modify them (LVM and FS resize), so subtle incompatibilities may occur. And mind that you modify with newer tools (externally booted) and then boot the installed OS with the old versions, so upward compatibility is not sufficient.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
So I can't download the version I need to use even if I was allowed geographically and I can't use an old version

Guess that means I have to uninstall stuff until I have 1GB free so sfos-upgrade doesn't complain, update, then lie to Jolla to get the latest recovery and resize so it works next time.

Except there shouldn't be a next time as surely the Pro1x will have shipped by then and I can have a phone with a speaker and no ghost off-the-screen touches.

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Guess that means I have to uninstall stuff until I have 1GB free so sfos-upgrade doesn't complain, update, then lie to Jolla to get the latest recovery and resize so it works next time.
You seem to love to make it complicated!?!
O.K., to state the message as clear as possible: Using a SailfishOS 4.2.0 recovery image to modify an 4.1.0 installation sounds reasonable and fine for me!
But using a 2.2.0 recovery for a 4.1.0 installation rather does not.
YMMV.

BTW, "ain't no use complaining!", i.e.: That will not get you anywhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Thanks to aspergerguy who sent me the correct version of the recovery image - I booted it and followed the instructions, all went perfectly until the last fsck:

Code:
/ # e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/sailfish-root
/dev/mapper/sailfish-root is mounted.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
No choice other than to assume all was well so rebooted the phone and am happy to report the new lvm volume sizes are showing.

Update to 4.2.0.21 started with no messing about

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post: